ALCS GAME #3 TUESDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT HOUSTON ASTROS

Started by markj, October 16, 2018, 03:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Two late pickups by DD played huge roles in this  win Eovaldi and Pearce.  And JBJ  who looked terrible early in the year but found new life late in the year (and I wanted to trade him in May) came up with the grand slam to shut the door.  Nice win.

Schloicka

Eovaldi with the win and a well pitched game. Pearce with the go ahead hr and JBJ with the put away hr. The pen did their job. On to Wednesday.

BoSoxFanNY

YAHOOOOO!
JBJ hits a GRAND SLAM to slam the door!

Eovaldi has been the Sox's best starting pitcher so far
in the Postseason!
Betts, Benintendi and Martinez got the scoring going in the first inning.

WOW!
GREAT WIN!

SeaBeachFred

To me this game was a gut check one.   We go into Houston and play them tough in a close game with our worries about our bullpen---and what happens.  For the second straight game the pen does its job very well and instead of surrendering a close lead we expand it and win going away.  Eovaldi showed he can beat more teams besides the Yankees and Jackie put the game on ice with his granny.  And this Steve Pearce guy?  He also has been a revelation.  On this score Dombrowski knew what he was doing when he procured those two guys.

Still a long way to go but we have the 2-1 edge and our guys have to keep bearing down and believing they can beat this team and anybody else.  We will go back to Boston now UNLESS, though  that may be asking a lot, but it would be swell if this can turn out to be "OUR" year.  Well we have a chance now.

ipot

I love how this team is flipping the script with big contributions from guys like Eovaldi, Pearce, and JBJ this series.   The pen  too has stepped up.  Far from over but we've got some great momentum moving our way. 
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

Quote from: ipot on October 17, 2018, 12:00:48 AM
I love how this team is flipping the script with big contributions from guys like Eovaldi, Pearce, and JBJ this series.   The pen  too has stepped up.  Far from over but we've got some great momentum moving our way.
B I N G O , WE HAVE B I N G O...…. A GREAT MUST WIN !!! thumb_u thumb_u

longgame

I look at it this way.  The starting pitching has been okay and Eovaldi was very good again.  The bullpen with a couple of exceptions has been excellent - as it was during most of they year but not down the stretch.  The defense has been inconsistent at times, but we knew both 2B and 3B were liabilities coming in.  The bottom of the order has pulled together and JBJ has become a one man wrecking crew.  But, the main offensive guys have not been able to get it going in this series and that has to worry Houston.

Plus, Cora just seems to know the right buttons to push while Hinch was a little lost.  The best move was putting in Devers and Hinch then burns his lefty to face him one time.

Now on to the next game and a win here puts us in great shape.  Morton hasn't pitched in something live over 2 weeks and that was a tuneup.  If they get to him early it could be a laugher plus it would open up their bullpen. 

Bear

Rumor has it that the Houston A's are cheating...
MLB investigating.

Bill-806

Quote from: Bear on October 17, 2018, 10:40:33 AM
Rumor has it that the Houston A's are cheating...
MLB investigating.
I for one is not surprised...… They are a corky bunch !! iono iono iono iono

Bear

longgame

If they were doing it last year, Cora would have known and probably would have been prepared for it.  It probably explains why they were giving a lot of signs at times even with nobody on second.