ALDS GAME #3, MONDAY, OCTOBER 8, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT NY YANKEES

Started by longgame, October 08, 2018, 12:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoSoxFanNY

THIS was a fun game to watch.
WHO knew after the first inning with Severino pitching well
that this game would turn into a 16 - 1 whopping!

WOW!

(And I was nervous about this game. HOPING that Evoldi
would continue to dominate the Yankees - and that the
Sox would get to Severino.)

SOX BEAT the Yankees 16 - 1

BoSoxFanNY

THAT is the way to play.
Starter goes 7 innings!
Bats are hot!

Sox scored initial runs by getting on base, stealing bases and scoring.
Small ball in the beginning
AND then - hitting and hitting AND hitting.

THAT was the Sox team I wanted to see!

KEEP IT GOING SOX!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on October 08, 2018, 03:49:29 PM
Just about a "must win" game tonight. Need this to come back to Fenway at a minimum.

Tito's Indians are about to get swept.

Well we achieved that "must" win.  WOW!!!!!  To be sure, after Saturday's miserable effort and having to go into YANKEE STADIUM to face a team that had won seven straight post season games at home and facing their ace, I had some deep doubts.  Again WOW!!!!!!  Now markj, can we pick up from this game and finish this series as winners.  It would be a dandy if we can and our chances are now pretty good.  I also recorded this game so I can watch it whenever I want to, but will wait until the off season to do that.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on October 08, 2018, 08:03:12 PM
Judge tries to shoot everything to right.  But for now I’ll take singles and baserunning.

Loved Darling’s line “this is turning into the best lineup change in the history of baseball”.  Yet it’s something every Red Sox fan had been screaming for the past 3 days.

The question is why Alex Cora couldn't see that Brock Holt needed to be in our lineup?  It was so simple and easy to see that it makes you wonder if he was playing favorites by insisting on keeping his lineup for games one and two.  I hope he learned something tonight.  Lefty or righty, Brock needs to be in that lineup  tomorrow and for how long we stay in the post season.

Schloicka

Quote from: longgame on October 08, 2018, 10:23:37 PM
I was shocked to hear that this was the first cycle in postseason history.  Speaking of history, it’s not the largest postseason victory, that was 16 over the Indians and the Sox own that one too. 

Doesn’t Holt have to be in the lineup tomorrow?  For that matter Vazquez too.

He should be playing 3rd tomorrow with Kinsler at 2nd. Pearce needs to stay at 1st. Or put JD in the outfield. Kinsler at 2nd. Holt at 1st. Pearce at DH. Nunez at 3rd. Use JBJ as defensive replacement. Doubt Devers plays against CC. Or just make it easy and put Holt at 3rd and everyone else in their regular positions.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on October 08, 2018, 09:53:26 PM
Betcha Cora sits Holt tomorrow.

Then we should find Cora and give him an old fashioned blanket party.  Don't know what that means?  Let me know.  If you were in the service you would, and Cora would deserve it if he sits Holt tomorrow.  He just can be that blind and stupid.

BoSoxFanNY

markj

Still thinking we'll see fireworks tomorrow. Porcello/CC? Plunking will ensue.

ipot

What a bounce back and then some.  Cora comes off as a genius inserting HOLT, Devers, and Vazquez in the lineup and Eovaldi to pitch it.  Worked out gangbusters.  Eovaldi really set the tone early; he owns the NYY this year. 

Yes, tomorrow CC vs Porcello could be a dandy.  Get the popcorn ready.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

longgame

One of the announcers, maybe Darling, said that this is not how postseason baseball is played anymore or something along those lines, referring to Eovaldi going 7.  I've been watching baseball a long time, it was only last year that managers had to go the bullpen so early so often because the pitchers weren't getting it done.  I think they panic and fortunately Eovaldi gave no reasons for Cora to do so. 

I really want to see them come out with the running game against CC.  Let's hope Porcello is on tonight.  The sample for this year is limited by the Sox have beat up on CC getting him for 20 hits and 8 runs in 70 at bats this year.  Team OPS is .799 against him.  The Yankees have 7 runs and 13 hits in 99 ABs vs Porcello with a .435 OPS.

BoSoxFanNY

RIDICULOUS comment by Darling.
Verlander pitches more than 6 innings in postseason games.

I have to assume that EVERY manager would want their starting pitcher to go 7 strong innings.

longgame

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on October 09, 2018, 08:58:04 AM

I have to assume that EVERY manager would want their starting pitcher to go 7 strong innings.

Also like Darling whining because the Sox didn't stop playing the game.  I thought it was funny though when Kinsler didn't try to score on a passed ball, then didn't try to score on a ground ball, but finally had to score when there was a wild pitch that came halfway down the line.  But as far as stealing bases and swinging 3-0 - that's exactly what I want to see out of my team in the postseason on every play whether tied, up 15 or down 15.

Also, while they mentioned it, it's a much bigger deal to throw in the towel and have a position player pitch. 

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: longgame on October 09, 2018, 09:06:44 AM
Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on October 09, 2018, 08:58:04 AM

Also like Darling whining because the Sox didn't stop playing the game.  I thought it was funny though when Kinsler didn't try to score on a passed ball, then didn't try to score on a ground ball, but finally had to score when there was a wild pitch that came halfway down the line.  But as far as stealing bases and swinging 3-0 - that's exactly what I want to see out of my team in the postseason on every play whether tied, up 15 or down 15.

Also, while they mentioned it, it's a much bigger deal to throw in the towel and have a position player pitch.

I ALSO noticed that Kinsler did not try to run home on that passed ball and ground ball out.

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on October 08, 2018, 10:37:12 PM
Judge tries to shoot everything to right.  But for now I’ll take singles and baserunning.

Loved Darling’s line “this is turning into the best lineup change in the history of baseball”.  Yet it’s something every Red Sox fan had been screaming for the past 3 days.

The question is why Alex Cora couldn't see that Brock Holt needed to be in our lineup?  It was so simple and easy to see that it makes you wonder if he was playing favorites by insisting on keeping his lineup for games one and two.  I hope he learned something tonight.  Lefty or righty, Brock needs to be in that lineup  tomorrow and for how long we stay in the post season.
As DAD would say, "SON, Glad that CORA called you for ADVICE on the lineup as Holt, Vacquez & Devers gave the balance to keep the pressure on the YANK$"  !!!   Great job by our pitching too !!  You will see this lineup tonight.... thumb_u rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Bill-806

Quote from: Bill-806 on October 09, 2018, 10:37:48 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on October 08, 2018, 10:37:12 PM

As DAD would say, "SON, Glad that CORA called you for ADVICE on the lineup as Holt, Vacquez & Devers gave the balance to keep the pressure on the YANK$"  !!!   Great job by our pitching too !!  You will see this lineup tonight.... thumb_u rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
WELL SON, I guess that you are back to being WRONG on tonight's lineup ??? iono iono iono