GAME #73, SUNDAY, JUNE 16, 2019, BOSTON RED SOX @ BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Started by Schloicka, June 16, 2019, 08:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

elktonnick

The Red Sox sweep the Os.  BUT They did not impress in doing so.  The Os are on pace to lose over 110 games.  Watching this series didn't inspire me with confidence that Red Sox have righted the ship.   The last Os at bats typify what is wrong with Boston from awful relief pitching to a manager who seems to have lost his touch from a year ago.

markj

Finally. Thought we were watching Carson Smith there for a bit.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on June 16, 2019, 04:51:44 PM
The Red Sox sweep the Os.  BUT They did not impress in doing so.  The Os are on pace to lose over 110 games.  Watching this series didn't inspire me with confidence that Red Sox have righted the ship.   The last Os at bats typify what is wrong with Boston from awful relief pitching to a manager who seems to have lost his touch from a year ago.

The last five wins are a good sign, but maybe a false flag.  A contender coming up tomorrow, and we're something like 6-15 against the Stros, Yanks and Rays.

elktonnick

I think the Os sweep can easily lure one into a false sense that the Team is playing better than it actual is.   Even in this win today I still didn't see the players relating to one another they way they did last year.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on June 16, 2019, 05:29:17 PM

The last five wins are a good sign, but maybe a false flag.  A contender coming up tomorrow, and we're something like 6-15 against the Stros, Yanks and Rays.

I think Elk and you nailed it Sea Dog.  From my vantage point we needed this win to show we can go more than four games above 500, but what does it mean when it seems we still can't beat the better teams and struggle to sweep the poorer ones?  Glad we came back to win in extra innings on the road---the sign of a good team, BUT we did not play a good team and we still showed weaknesses with base running gaffs and overall sloppy play.  We get to take on Minnesota tomorrow for a big three game series and it now time to put up or shut up.  Either we can beat the good teams or we can't----and if we can't then we may have to lock up shop and start retooling.  It would be a good shot in tha arm for us if Rick Porcello could go out there and finally pitched a blow out game without giving up a ton of hits and just dominating for a change, and, if I may say so, Cora has to put the best team out in the field and decide to manage to win instead of appearing to manage not to lose.  Anyway I'm pleased we swept the series because I believed we had to do that, but still don't think we're our best baseball we're capable of playing.

Bill-806

As DAD would say, "SON, all's well that ends well"  !!   Not pretty, but we had to win as both the YANKS & RAYS WON !!!!  Good job BOYS, on to the  TWIN CITY !!! iono iono iono thumb_u

longgame

Quote from: Murph on June 16, 2019, 01:13:48 PM
Quote from: longgame on June 16, 2019, 11:57:18 AM
Quote from: Murph on June 16, 2019, 09:42:49 AM
Will today be the day Cora says to Sox sorry for being stupid with Betts and pulling him from leading off?

Betts OPS by position in lineup:

1 - .898
2 - .878
3 - .820
4 - .862
5 - 9 - none or statistically insignificant

He's started about 70% of his games batting first and has a career BA of .299 and OPS of .882.  In the last 14 days his BA is .310 OPS is 1.071.

Where would you put him?

In the month of June, batting 1st he is batting .170   9-53 with an OBP of .333 and slugging .340.

Prior to Cora`s screwing with him, he was hitting .318 with an OBP OF .423   SLG .540  OPS  .943

Stats courtesy of Baseball-Reference .com

You are right about career stats. For the time being, he sucks at the leadoff spot. That's is what I am talking about.
Stats speak for itself for 2019. Why the hell did Cora bat him 2nd? He was looking for more production in RBIs.

The stat I had was wrong on the 14 days.  It was from BB ref but I must have mis-interpreted what "last 14 days" meant.  But still he's been incredibly successful in the leadoff spot and, oh, by the way, he went 3-5 with a walk.  What an idiot manager putting a guy up first who got on 4 times. 

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on June 16, 2019, 05:29:17 PM

10-14 against the winning teams including the Rangers.  Yankees are 8-6 and TB is 10-9.  So Sox have played 24 of those games, that means the Yankees have 10 more against winning teams than the Sox do. 

longgame

Never seen unhappier guys after winning 5 in a row.  I guess if they don't lose a game the rest of the way, a couple of you may actually get on board with these guys!

Bill-806

Quote from: longgame on June 17, 2019, 08:04:38 AM
Never seen unhappier guys after winning 5 in a row.  I guess if they don't lose a game the rest of the way, a couple of you may actually get on board with these guys!
RRRRR YES, the NATURE of being a RED SOX FAN since the EARLY 1950's !!!! The LOVE/HATE relationship with OUR TEAM !!! rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on June 17, 2019, 08:04:38 AM

3 in a row against the Os who could have the worst team in their franchise history is hardly cause for bringing out the duckboats, considering how close they came to losing yesterday. Now if they can sweep the Twins that is another thing.

Murph

Quote from: longgame on June 17, 2019, 07:56:43 AM
Quote from: Murph on June 16, 2019, 01:13:48 PM
Quote from: longgame on June 16, 2019, 11:57:18 AM
Quote from: Murph on June 16, 2019, 09:42:49 AM
Will today be the day Cora says to Sox sorry for being stupid with Betts and pulling him from leading off?

Betts OPS by position in lineup:

1 - .898
2 - .878
3 - .820
4 - .862
5 - 9 - none or statistically insignificant

He's started about 70% of his games batting first and has a career BA of .299 and OPS of .882.  In the last 14 days his BA is .310 OPS is 1.071.

Where would you put him?

In the month of June, batting 1st he is batting .170   9-53 with an OBP of .333 and slugging .340.

Prior to Cora`s screwing with him, he was hitting .318 with an OBP OF .423   SLG .540  OPS  .943

Stats courtesy of Baseball-Reference .com

You are right about career stats. For the time being, he sucks at the leadoff spot. That's is what I am talking about.
Stats speak for itself for 2019. Why the hell did Cora bat him 2nd? He was looking for more production in RBIs.

The stat I had was wrong on the 14 days.  It was from BB ref but I must have mis-interpreted what "last 14 days" meant.  But still he's been incredibly successful in the leadoff spot and, oh, by the way, he went 3-5 with a walk.  What an idiot manager putting a guy up first who got on 4 times.

Whatever!The same idiot manager that kept him in for 14 days with 9 hits . The debate is over . As they say, have a good day.

SeaBeachFred

Easy now guys!!!.  The good news is that we did sweep the Orioles and have won five in a row for the first time this season.  What takes a little shine off the gloss is that we almost lost the game yesterday and had to go overtime to win it, plus we played one of the worst teams in the game at the present time..  Still I'll take it, but we shouldn't go overboard with delight because we still haven't proved we can take on the top teams and beat them as we did so convincingly last season.  Let's all just take a good gander on this upcoming series with the Minnesota Twins, a team playing well and on the rise as one of the AL's premier teams.  We play them in their ballpark and have a challenge on our hands.  Win this series and we may have turned that corner we're been trying to go around all season.  That might tell us a lot.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 17, 2019, 12:28:55 PM
Easy now guys!!!.  The good news is that we did sweep the Orioles and have won five in a row for the first time this season.  What takes a little shine off the gloss is that we almost lost the game yesterday and had to go overtime to win it, plus we played one of the worst teams in the game at the present time..  Still I'll take it, but we shouldn't go overboard with delight because we still haven't proved we can take on the top teams and beat them as we did so convincingly last season.  Let's all just take a good gander on this upcoming series with the Minnesota Twins, a team playing well and on the rise as one of the AL's premier teams.  We play them in their ballpark and have a challenge on our hands.  Win this series and we may have turned that corner we're been trying to go around all season.  That might tell us a lot.

I can't argue with the fact that they need to show up for these games against better teams.  I just think we all need to remember it's a long season.