GAME #59, SUNDAY, JUNE 02, 2019, BOSTON RED SOX @ NEW YORK YANKEES

Started by Schloicka, June 02, 2019, 10:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Workman got through it. Sox avert a sweep and climb back over .500.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on June 02, 2019, 09:31:46 PM
AND yet, last night, with no lead -
the bullpen was great - allowing no runs.
SIGH . . .

Some pitchers can pitch when their team is behind because there is no pressure on them.  The key is pitching with a lead and trying to preserve it.  Barnes once again showed by in many cases he is a total meatball.  He has hardly improved a twit since we brought him up.  One good outing, one bad and one mediocre.  You cannot win consistently with a reliever like that.  OTOH, I may be hallucinating but is Xander Bogaerts coming into his own finally?  He is doing a bang-up job that Betts, Benintendi and Martinez were supposed to be doing.  Maybe he has finally found it.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on June 02, 2019, 09:39:54 PM
Workman got through it. Sox avert a sweep and climb back over .500.

Yippee I O Kai A----and I don't have to erase the game off my computer to boot.

Sea Dog 23

Yes, good to see Bogey providing some timely hitting and leadership of late.  And when was the last time Price won at Yankee Stadium?  He's statistically our best pitcher this year, considering Porcello's dismal road record (6.00+ era).,

Bill-806

A GOOD WIN to get !!!  A day off & on to K C ……. We need a 10 game WIN streak , NOW GRASSHOPPER !!!!! thumb_u rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

longgame

That pen is going to kill us.  Wright is available to start rehab in a week.  I'm hopeful that DD's "moves" aren't "wait until the injured guys get back".

Murph

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 02, 2019, 10:27:06 PM
SIGH . . .

Some pitchers can pitch when their team is behind because there is no pressure on them.  The key is pitching with a lead and trying to preserve it.  Barnes once again showed by in many cases he is a total meatball.  He has hardly improved a twit since we brought him up.  One good outing, one bad and one mediocre.  You can win consistently with a reliever like that.  OTOH, I may be hallucinating but is Xander Bogaerts coming into his own finally?  He is doing a bang-up job that Betts, Benintendi and Martinez were supposed to be doing.  Maybe he has finally found it.

Fred, for the most part, I agree with your assessment of Barnes. I was at the game last night and when he came into the game in the 8th the weather conditions with rain was ridiculous. The only reason they continued playing had to be the report that it was a fast-moving storm which it was lasting less than 20 minutes. Saying that I will give Barnes a pass last night only.
As far as Bogey is concerned last season hopefully was what he will be going forward and reason for his extension. I doubt the Sox see him as  30 hr guy which I don`t either but I for 1 liked the extension.
The only way I see Betts still with the team is that Pedey retires and they use that 13 mill toward Betts . If it will be 8 -10 year deal for 300 m I say don`t do it. YOU AND OTHERS CAN SAY I AM NUTS BUT THAT MONEY WILL NOT HELP IN THE LONG TERM.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Murph on June 03, 2019, 09:50:50 AM
SIGH . . .

Some pitchers can pitch when their team is behind because there is no pressure on them.  The key is pitching with a lead and trying to preserve it.  Barnes once again showed by in many cases he is a total meatball.  He has hardly improved a twit since we brought him up.  One good outing, one bad and one mediocre.  You can win consistently with a reliever like that.  OTOH, I may be hallucinating but is Xander Bogaerts coming into his own finally?  He is doing a bang-up job that Betts, Benintendi and Martinez were supposed to be doing.  Maybe he has finally found it.

Fred, for the most part, I agree with your assessment of Barnes. I was at the game last night and when he came into the game in the 8th the weather conditions with rain was ridiculous. The only reason they continued playing had to be the report that it was a fast-moving storm which it was lasting less than 20 minutes. Saying that I will give Barnes a pass last night only.
As far as Bogey is concerned last season hopefully was what he will be going forward and reason for his extension. I doubt the Sox see him as  30 hr guy which I don`t either but I for 1 liked the extension.
The only way I see Betts still with the team is that Pedey retires and they use that 13 mill toward Betts . If it will be 8 -10 year deal for 300 m I say don`t do it. YOU AND OTHERS CAN SAY I AM NUTS BUT THAT MONEY WILL NOT HELP IN THE LONG TERM.

Nuts????  No, you are giving your opinion and that is what this board is for---to speak your mind and make it clear where you srand on an issue.  For the record, Betts is not going to get that big contract he is seeking because he seems to go one good year and one mediocre season and that does not translate into a mega mega contract.  Very good in '16, poor for him in '17, outstanding in '18, and so far in '19 much to be desired.

Murph

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 03, 2019, 12:26:40 PM
Quote from: Murph on June 03, 2019, 09:50:50 AM
SIGH . . .

Nuts????  No, you are giving your opinion and that is what this board is for---to speak your mind and make it clear where you srand on an issue.  For the record, Betts is not going to get that big contract he is seeking because he seems to go one good year and one mediocre season and that does not translate into a mega mega contract.  Very good in '16, poor for him in '17, outstanding in '18, and so far in '19 much to be desired.

I hope your right but I will be shocked to see him get under 30.  The years will be 8 T since he will enter FA at 28. 2019 he will still be around 30 hr and close to 100 RBIs.Not too shabby and BA 290 plus. And a GG also.

Sea Dog 23

In my opinion, if you were to ask Betts today on June 5, he's going to go into free agency next year unsigned.  That's based on the tone of his interviews.  He's a Damon, Ellsbury candidate right now.  Not saying he or his agent change course, he just seemed caught up in the Machado/ Harper extravaganza during those weeks.

Would the Sox trade him next year for a starting pitcher along with an outfielder who can hit .290 - .300?  Sorry to get ahead, but I'm sure the FO is thinking about a half dozen key players around 2020.

Murph

He's an FA in 2021. He received 20 mill in ARBY this year and will get close to 25 in ARBY in 2020. Trading him I would think the FO has talked over many times and will continue on that path. Getting 1 very solid player and some top-notch prospects in return and staying under the LT will be very tempting. Yeah we all love the guy but at the expense of restricting the team going forward. He's an FA in 2021. Should and most like will happen Pedeys retirement savings will be put to good use in FA.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on June 03, 2019, 12:59:31 PM
In my opinion, if you were to ask Betts today on June 5, he's going to go into free agency next year unsigned.  That's based on the tone of his interviews.  He's a Damon, Ellsbury candidate right now.  Not saying he or his agent change course, he just seemed caught up in the Machado/ Harper extravaganza during those weeks.

Would the Sox trade him next year for a starting pitcher along with an outfielder who can hit .290 - .300?  Sorry to get ahead, but I'm sure the FO is thinking about a half dozen key players around 2020.

If the Red Sox even sniff that he will be hard to sign by the end of THIS SEASON, they must not wait until next year to trade him at the trade deadline.  They must ship his ass out of Boston over THIS OFF SEASON in order to get the best value for him.  Trading him at the TD next year is a struggle in futility because those interested in him know that we are in panic mode and could give us pennies on the dollar.  NO, we must get two solid players for him, a good starting pitcher and an outfielder who could play CF and can hit much better than the disappointing one we've had out there slumping most of his career, our Jack Brad.

Murph

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 03, 2019, 02:10:45 PM
Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on June 03, 2019, 12:59:31 PM

If the Red Sox even sniff that he will be hard to sign by the end of THIS SEASON, they must not wait until next year to trade him at the trade deadline.  They must ship his ass out of Boston over THIS OFF SEASON in order to get the best value for him.  Trading him at the TD next year is a struggle in futility because those interested in him know that we are in panic mode and could give us pennies on the dollar.  NO, we must get two solid players for him, a good starting pitcher and an outfielder who could play CF and can hit much better than the disappointing one we've had out there slumping most of his career, our Jack Brad.

Totally surprised you are on board with trading him, They screwed themselves with Sale instead of waiting to see how he fared in 19. They will not get 5 very good years from him. His unorthodox pitching style is what is going to be his Achilles heal. Hard to imagine him close to what he is now at age 34.