GAME #58, SATURDAY, JUNE 01, 2019, BOSTON RED SOX @ NEW YORK YANKEES

Started by Schloicka, June 01, 2019, 11:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on June 01, 2019, 09:43:34 PM
Well they put up a little better effort.  The bill pen was not the problem.  The offense simply can not do anything against a good team.

And the Yankees are beating us (and everyone else) with replacements and second stringers while our supposed juggernaut defending champions are playing like a bunch of cruds.  This is beyond humiliating but out and out disgusting.  The Red Sox right now are disgraceful.

markj

Very few teams have repeated as WS champs. And the Sox in particular seem to follow a championship season with a dud season. If that's the way it is, so be it. I'm not going to bust a vein fretting about the Sox. If they can deliver a WS trophy every few years, I'll be a happy camper.

Sea Dog 23

Some of the take aways are not good.  Leon was the only batter I think, that got hits with runners on base.  Season high 14  Ks  started by a rookie or 2nd year pitcher.  Post game Porcello seemed to have better coaching ideas than Cora.

Sea Dog 23

Elk, others have been exploring clubhouse factors with the late swan song on the team.  I've read that Price was quite vocal a month or so ago, telling players if they did not get it going that management would blow the team up.  That could be inspirational talk, but he is not the best messenger.  The team did go on a good streak coming out of the first Tampa series, but has regressed in the last two weeks.

The only other contending type team that did not improve their lineup in the offseason -  with a new quality outside free agent,  was Cleveland.  Mgt took a gamble everyone else would stiff arm the free agents, but that didn't happen.  Of course we were hamstrung by our LT tax issues.  If DD waits until the trade deadline to make a move while the team is still floundering, that will be telling.

elktonnick

I certainly agree that Price may not be the best messenger but telling his team mates that management may blow up the team if they didn't get into going also may not be the best message either.  Depending on their individual contract there are some ballplayers on the team who may not mind seeing competitors for their positions or playing time being dealt.

Bill-806

No way to wake up on a SUNDAY morning to another BRUTAL LOSS to the EVIL EMPIRE !!!!!   FIX it D D ,  NOW GRASSHOPPER !!!! thumb_d iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on June 02, 2019, 10:04:11 AM
I certainly agree that Price may not be the best messenger but telling his team mates that management may blow up the team if they didn't get into going also may not be the best message either.  Depending on their individual contract there are some ballplayers on the team who may not mind seeing competitors for their positions or playing time being dealt.

At least someone is saying it.  I'm sure none of these guys are happy with how the team is playing.  I've noticed that even when they pitch well, they have that one inning.  They also continue to give up runs after they score almost every time.  On the offense, it seems like they hit a lot of solo HRs but a lot of pop outs and strikeouts with runners on base.

I'm glad someone pointed out during the game last night how Bradley looks like he just isn't seeing the ball.  I've said since he came up that he needed glasses, but more importantly, he's lifting his head and not seeing the ball through, mainly because he's swinging so hard.   

Who would have thought that our catchers would be key offensive players?  What's strange is the main offensive guys haven't sucked - Betts, Martinez and Bogey are all around .290-.300.  They are getting more than expected from the catchers and certainly from Devers.  Benitendi has been awful though and hitting at the top of the lineup with crappy numbers doesn't help anyone.  Chavis was hot but the league seems to have figured him out for now and he's going to have to adjust.  Moreland being out doesn't help.  But it all goes back to the pitching and the starters struggle to go 5 innings almost every night and the bullpen is just bad.  DD needs to get off his ass and from what they were saying last night it sounds like Keuchel at least will be signed shortly.  Kimbrel less likely.  I think taking a flyer on Keuchel may make some sense and put him in competition with E-Rod for the last starting spot vs. the pen when Eovaldi comes back. 

Murph

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 01, 2019, 11:51:57 PM
Well they put up a little better effort.  The bill pen was not the problem.  The offense simply can not do anything against a good team.

And the Yankees are beating us (and everyone else) with replacements and second stringers while our supposed juggernaut defending champions are playing like a bunch of cruds.  This is beyond humiliating but out and out disgusting.  The Red Sox right now are disgraceful.

That juggernaut offense that you alluded to was last season.A repeat of being close to that IMO was not going to happen.So they bomb out and get salary and regroup for 2020.After was 86 years and getting 4 in 14 years seems damn good to me.
Disgraceful.I don't know if that is correct.At least not to me.

Sea Dog 23

Looking down the road for Sox pitching, the talking heads covering the ncaa college playoffs (road to Omaha), there isn't much depth for pitching in this year's draft.  However the pitchers for next year's draft, projected, are hugely abundant.

Also on Monday Kimbrell can now sign without ths Sox getting compensation, same for all the other FAs...Keuchel, Zobrist etc.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on June 02, 2019, 12:06:14 AM
Very few teams have repeated as WS champs. And the Sox in particular seem to follow a championship season with a dud season. If that's the way it is, so be it. I'm not going to bust a vein fretting about the Sox. If they can deliver a WS trophy every few years, I'll be a happy camper.

I'll second that too markj, but the question is can we be certain this pattern will continue or will there come a time when the talent recedes and we find ourselves replicating the Dodgers (31 years) or the Braves (24 years)?  That would frighten the hell out of me if it was the latter.  So far we've been able to do it the way you mentioned.  I just don't want to test our luck.  Besides, I'm 78 years old and I don't have another 24 years, let alone 31.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Murph on June 02, 2019, 12:29:12 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on June 01, 2019, 11:51:57 PM

That juggernaut offense that you alluded to was last season.A repeat of being close to that IMO was not going to happen.So they bomb out and get salary and regroup for 2020.After was 86 years and getting 4 in 14 years seems damn good to me.
Disgraceful.I don't know if that is correct.At least not to me.

Well to me Murph it is disgraceful.  It is one thing to fail to repeat as a champion and certainly almost impossible to win 119 games in a season, but we should be better than a 500 team getting beaten up by our bitterest rivals.  The Cubs and Astros didn't repeat after their WS wins but they played decent ball and got to the playoffs the next season.  We seem to just drip dead after we win one.  Think of the last time  we  won one before 2018.