GAME #38, WEDNESDAY, MAY 8, 2019, BOSTON RED SOX @ BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Started by markj, May 08, 2019, 10:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Chris Mad Dog Russo on High Heat on Mlb today put the onus on the front office for not getting everyone on the same page on this back in ST. Quite frankly, I believe this fiasco is actually a symptom of a much bigger issue.  I may be all alone on this but I think there are guys on this team who are starting to question Cora's judgment.  Jim Palmer the Orioles HOF pitcher and broadcaster insinuated that Sales wasn't happy about the way he was treated in ST. Sales was embarrassed early this year because he was not permitted to get the proper work to be ready to start the season.
Again I know I am in a distinct minority on this but IMO JBJ saved Cora's butt by that catch. If the Sox had lost that series I would be starting the call for Cora's firing.  I may becoming an old grouch but I do not like the way Cora manages this team.  He was incredibly lucky last year and the percentages are bound to catch up with him. We will see how it turns out but remember John Farrell won his 1st year in Boston.  Let's see if Cora is another one year wonder.

longgame

I don't see any reason to call for Cora's firing, but I think there has to be something said about spring training.  He also needs to show leadership, not petulance, in a situation like the White House visit.  Sure seemed like the guys who went had a good time. 

elktonnick

I think petulant is a very good description of Cora.  To me the White House visit fiasco is just a symptom of the bigger problem.  If the whole White House visit issue had never happened I still would feel the same about Cora managerial style.  If this club fails to get into the playoffs I'd fire him immediately upon their elimination from contention.  I hope it doesn't come to that but that's my opinion.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on May 10, 2019, 08:56:25 AM
I think petulant is a very good description of Cora.  To me the White House visit fiasco is just a symptom of the bigger problem.  If the whole White House visit issue had never happened I still would feel the same about Cora managerial style.  If this club fails to get into the playoffs I'd fire him immediately upon their elimination from contention.  I hope it doesn't come to that but that's my opinion.

From what I've heard though the clubhouse is pretty good.  But we all know it's a fine line between a good clubhouse atmosphere and the players ruling the roost.  That may be the toughest part of the game today, the players win and think their stuff doesn't stink and heck, if someone is paying them millions of dollars, why wouldn't you think that way?  You need to keep them loose to win, but too loose and you get chicken and beer. 

I'm just glad this distraction is over.