GAME #37, TUESDAY, MAY 7, 2019, BOSTON RED SOX @ BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Started by markj, May 07, 2019, 09:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Well the sox won,  IMO it was a lot closer than I would have liked but a win is a win,  Hopefully Sale will dominate tomorrow and the Sox will pull to 500

Bill-806

Quote from: elktonnick on May 07, 2019, 09:33:22 PM
Well the sox won,  IMO it was a lot closer than I would have liked but a win is a win,  Hopefully Sale will dominate tomorrow and the Sox will pull to 500
B I N G O dat !!! We should be owning the O's ???  Make hay boys !! iono iono iono iono

longgame

Concerned that Brasier hasn't looked particularly good.  The pen seems to hold it together but at times is shaky.  Walden now 5-0!  That happens when you can't field "starters" who can't go more than a couple of innings.  Need another win to keep the train rolling and then a homestand with 3 off days sprinkled in. 

SeaBeachFred

Having thought this out all day I can only say the win last night was a win but means very little since we gained nothing and could have lost more ground.  All we did was hold serve last night thanks to some timely power hitting.  But we have to understand that Cora right now is out of sorts doing one dumb thing after another while Dombrowski is snoozing and pretending that all is well and is just around the corner for us.  No way.  Velazquez is a shitty pitcher, can't go more than three innings while his pitches hit too many bats.  Bradley is just pathetic and why he is still in the lineup only Cora in his daze knows.

Tonight is the key.  We MUST win and take the series.   The Rays lost and while the Yankees most likely will beat up fading Seattle again we can gain a game in the standings and finally get to 500 for the first time since the second game of the season.  Anything else is failure.

rkarp

you do realize that the RS are 1.5 games out of the playoffs, in spite of a starting schedule of 11 games on the west coast, losing their #2,3,6 starting pitchers, breaking in a new bull pen cadence, and their ace needing some additional time due to arm fatigue?
you also do realize that JBJ has won 3 games with his defense?
wait a second. I am talking to Fred. You do not realize!

elktonnick

Watching JBJ bat is painful. He is repeating all his bad habits from previous slumps. His swing has become way too long again. He seems to be trying to pull everything down the right field line. Regardless his catch last night was one for the ages and saved the ballgame and the Red Sox and Cora from an embarrassing series loss to the hapless Orioles.

Quite frankly there is a lot more wrong in Boston than JBJ's slump although his slump is just one more symptom of the bigger issues. For whatever reason there can be no longer any denial that there is something amiss in that clubhouse. (Today's Washington Post)  I suspect it begins with Cora and his mismanagement of this team beginning in Spring Training.

rkarp

there have been issues in that clubhouse from Tito to BobbyV to Farrell and now Cora. same as every clubhouse in professional sports. true professionals can put issues behind them and win. the RS did so last season. they will do so again. 

elktonnick

Sea Dog 23

The Sox and Cora are certainly capable of making the playoffs after last ten games show.  Pitching is a question mark right now, but any team built to have big innings with the bats are going to emerge in the end. Sox are at the top in runs scored (prox 185) with NYY, Twins, Astros in the AL.

Murph

The Sox and Cora are certainly capable of making the playoffs after last ten games show.

Not really sure if the Sox will see teams in the PO like the O`s   A `s and Chisox . I would think maybe a bit better than bottom those bottom feeders.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: rkarp on May 09, 2019, 07:44:39 AM
you do realize that the RS are 1.5 games out of the playoffs, in spite of a starting schedule of 11 games on the west coast, losing their #2,3,6 starting pitchers, breaking in a new bull pen cadence, and their ace needing some additional time due to arm fatigue?
you also do realize that JBJ has won 3 games with his defense?
wait a second. I am talking to Fred. You do not realize!

Now you're back on the best board of all boring the hell out of us with your inane pollyanna BS.  Eleven games on the West Coast?  So what?????  We were supposed to be the defending WS Champions and played like a bunch of chumps because the manager didn't get the team ready when he ran a kindergarten-type ST.   The pitchers weren't ready and neither were the hi tters.  We n ever should have gone 3-8 against the likes of Seattle, Oakland and Arizona...PERIOD!!!!! 
We were just unprepared for the start of the season and that is all on Cora.  As for Bradley, yes, he is as good a defensive CF as there is and that catch he made last night  was as good a one as I have ever seen.  It was amazing and stupendous, no question about it.  It won us a game. Still, we need more than a 142 batting average from the guy  PERIOD!!!!!

Once again we will just have to agree to disagree.

SeaBeachFred

Well to me we needed that game last night in order to take the series.  A loss would have made the three game joust with the Orioles an abject FAILURE!!!!!!!  My big gripe is that Cora still has not admitted that he may have (may have????) handled Spring Training ineffectively but he is too stubborn or stupid to admit what just about everyone else but rkarp and Joe Brady from some other board saw.  We are at 500 now, whoopty freeking du!!!!!!!  We should be ten games over 500 and that is what we will have to be within the next three weeks if we are going to make any kind of a run for a major spot in the Playoffs.  Yes, we can do it but we have to play better than we did the first month and start winning series after series as we have recently done.

longgame

We can pooh-pooh the Sox' victory, but the Yankees haven't played anyone with a winning record either and have won a total of 2 games against teams with winning records.  It's still early and like last year the AL is littered with bad teams. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on May 10, 2019, 07:56:49 AM
We can pooh-pooh the Sox' victory, but the Yankees haven't played anyone with a winning record either and have won a total of 2 games against teams with winning records.  It's still early and like last year the AL is littered with bad teams.

"littered with bad teams."  Those are your words Ted and had that been said at the beginning of the season you would have been fitted for a straight jacket.  But lo and behold you are right on the money with that assertion.  Hard to believe so many teams in the stronger AL are pooping along with a mediocre effort while the supposed stronger NL seems bursting with tough teams.  I don't like that because the American League is better all around or is supposed to be.  As for your first statement, that holds up well too.  However, we have a three game series with Seattle starting tonight while the Yankees have a big three game set with the Rays.  We could gain some ground on someone this weekend and we should........Seattle handled us well in Seattle; it is up to us to handle and take care of them on our field this weekend.