GAME #98, FRIDAY, JULY 19, 2019, BOSTON RED SOX @ BALTIMORE ORIOLES

Started by Schloicka, July 18, 2019, 04:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murph

Quote from: elktonnick on July 20, 2019, 10:42:57 AM
Quote from: Murph on July 20, 2019, 10:08:59 AM
Quote from: markj on July 19, 2019, 10:57:04 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 19, 2019, 09:57:09 PM
This is no joke my friends.  Just a couple of minutes to go I went into our living room whee my wife was watching Wheel of Fortune when I threw down a towel right next to where she was seated.  Linda understood immediately and so should the rest of you.  This season is toast.  We are not only not going to win the division, we aren't going to the playoffs at all.  All we can do is relish the games we win from here on in and hope we can finally finish about 10 games above 500.  Our starting staff is bleeding, our offense never hits in sync, the bullpen is a mess and the manager has his head cleanly us his tush.  That's a recipe for failure and, sorry to say, we need to acknowledge that so at least all of us can enjoy the rest of our summer instead of being consumed with a hope that is not going to come.  Sorry my friends but I think that is a essence of things right now.  This team isn't going anywhere but home in October.

Agreed. Write the season off and savor the victories as they happen.

EXACTLY .I laugh at fans and media that still want and expect major changes.WHY to play 1 game and go home makes no sense. Sox fans won't  quit rooting or watching but MOST know it's been over for awhile. Let's hope the FO knows the same and don't  make a senseless trade. I would think come the meetings they will start a minor reset by offering 1 or 2 regulars to reset the LT bill..

I don't see that happening.

Maybe not but unless they are committed to going over the highest LT  {WHICH WILL NOT HAPPEN}improving the team will be difficult. Yeah, Porcello most likely is gone with his 20 m and a few lesser contracts also. Pedey should retire and his 13m gone also but will that be enough? The key to all of this is what will they do with Mookie a. IMHO giving him a long term 6-8 year 250 plus contract will not work out in the long run. JD with the kind of year he is having probably will not opt-out. Trading from the close to nothing farm system will not be the answer. Without trading a regular I don`t have a clue what will improve the team. Needs IMO are minimum 3 RPs plus a closer 2nd base and SP help.

Bill-806

Quote from: Murph on July 20, 2019, 12:21:34 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on July 20, 2019, 10:42:57 AM
Quote from: Murph on July 20, 2019, 10:08:59 AM
Quote from: markj on July 19, 2019, 10:57:04 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 19, 2019, 09:57:09 PM
This is no joke my friends.  Just a couple of minutes to go I went into our living room whee my wife was watching Wheel of Fortune when I threw down a towel right next to where she was seated.  Linda understood immediately and so should the rest of you.  This season is toast.  We are not only not going to win the division, we aren't going to the playoffs at all.  All we can do is relish the games we win from here on in and hope we can finally finish about 10 games above 500.  Our starting staff is bleeding, our offense never hits in sync, the bullpen is a mess and the manager has his head cleanly us his tush.  That's a recipe for failure and, sorry to say, we need to acknowledge that so at least all of us can enjoy the rest of our summer instead of being consumed with a hope that is not going to come.  Sorry my friends but I think that is a essence of things right now.  This team isn't going anywhere but home in October.

Agreed. Write the season off and savor the victories as they happen.

EXACTLY .I laugh at fans and media that still want and expect major changes.WHY to play 1 game and go home makes no sense. Sox fans won't  quit rooting or watching but MOST know it's been over for awhile. Let's hope the FO knows the same and don't  make a senseless trade. I would think come the meetings they will start a minor reset by offering 1 or 2 regulars to reset the LT bill..

I don't see that happening.

Maybe not but unless they are committed to going over the highest LT  {WHICH WILL NOT HAPPEN}improving the team will be difficult. Yeah, Porcello most likely is gone with his 20 m and a few lesser contracts also. Pedey should retire and his 13m gone also but will that be enough? The key to all of this is what will they do with Mookie a. IMHO giving him a long term 6-8 year 250 plus contract will not work out in the long run. JD with the kind of year he is having probably will not opt-out. Trading from the close to nothing farm system will not be the answer. Without trading a regular I don`t have a clue without a minor what will improve the team. Needs IMO are minimum 3 RPs plus a closer 2nd base and SP help.
The once proud FLAG SHIP AKA PAWTUCKET is only a shadow of its once self ?? iono iono iono

SeaBeachFred

In 2014 as the team was collapsing after another meltdown from the previous year, the team under GM Charington and meddling co-owner Lucchino went into full panic mode, signing a bum like Castillo for big bucks and then after the season going on a stupid spending spree to net us two dreary characters in Sandoval and Hanley, neither of whom worked out with their big contracts.  They look like they  may be primed for another round of panic city this summer in an effort to salvage a season that is not salvageable and in the meantime strip our farm system of the few good prospects we have.   DO NOT DO THIS DOMBROWSKI.  THIS SEASON IS OVER; WE ARE NOT OF THE QUALITY TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS UNLESS YOU CONSIDER A ONE AND OUT GAME  PRORESS.  It is time to face the music and for you to tell Cora in no uncertain terms that when he comes to ST next Spring he had better work his and his team's ass off and make no attempt to do a redux of this year's ST farce.  Also for  you to get two solid relief pitchers and a CLOSER and to dump of of our excess garbage in the process.

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 20, 2019, 03:03:33 PM
In 2014 as the team was collapsing after another meltdown from the previous year, the team under GM Charington and meddling co-owner Lucchino went into full panic mode, signing a bum like Castillo for big bucks and then after the season going on a stupid spending spree to net us two dreary characters in Sandoval and Hanley, neither of whom worked out with their big contracts.  They look like they  may be primed for another round of panic city this summer in an effort to salvage a season that is not salvageable and in the meantime strip our farm system of the few good prospects we have.   DO NOT DO THIS DOMBROWSKI.  THIS SEASON IS OVER; WE ARE NOT OF THE QUALITY TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS UNLESS YOU CONSIDER A ONE AND OUT GAME  PRORESS.  It is time to face the music and for you to tell Cora in no uncertain terms that when he comes to ST next Spring he had better work his and his team's ass off and make no attempt to do a redux of this year's ST farce.  Also for  you to get two solid relief pitchers and a CLOSER and to dump of of our excess garbage in the process.
Well said, FRED …….. CONCUR & BINGO DAT !!!! thumb_u

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on July 20, 2019, 03:03:33 PM

LaRusso said the same thing about preserving the farm and that he thught making the playoffs was notworth giving up on a  promising A or AA prospect of real value.  But I have my doubts that DD is listening to Tony.

longgame

I don't get why you think the front office would believe that they have no shot at the playoffs.  Like I said, they fully expect to make it and catch fire.  They're not going to go out and get big contracts, Abreu is purely a rental and will be a FA.  Last night you guys were complaining that Travis was playing.  Now you're complaining that they won't develop a young player if they sign a veteran?  By that logic they should cut Moreland before he makes it back and let people develop.  Right?   65 games to go, more than a third of the season, and you think they can't make up 3 games? 

elktonnick

I think they can make the playoffs if and only if whatever malaise that besets this team passes and if and only if Manager Neuman reads the team the riot act and they stop playing with their collective heads up their collective butts.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on July 20, 2019, 03:33:36 PM
I think they can make the playoffs if and only if whatever malaise that besets this team passes and if and only if Manager Neuman reads the team the riot act and they stop playing with their collective heads up their collective butts.

So you think if he yells at them they'll move up to 1st in runs from 2nd?  The problem is the pitching.   

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on July 21, 2019, 02:07:27 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on July 20, 2019, 03:33:36 PM

So you think if he yells at them they'll move up to 1st in runs from 2nd?  The problem is the pitching.

They are playing stupid baseball, they are listless. The same pitchers who challenged hitters last year aren't pitching to contact, their entire approach towards pitching is flawed.  They get two strikes on a batter then nibble going to a full  count either giving up a walk or a cookie for a base hit or worse.

SeaBeachFred

Well I can see there are two camps on this matter but all I can say is look at today's game.  It is a replica of so many other games we have played (or not played).  Our team is capable of going out and getting 17 runs and 17 hits in one game and then descending to the depths of baseball hell and wind up with one hit and no runs.....like TODAY!!!!!!  My friends this is not the makings of a title contender and personally I insist that the jig is up.  If this had happened only once or twice this season I could sluff i off, but this hot and cold change that could erupt within a day speaks volumes to me.  We don't have it and w e will not get.....not this season anyway.  Well there is some consolation  that we can feel a small comfort  in.  We have four titles this century, more than any o ther team.  With that in mind there  is always the belief that we know what it takes to win and maybe after this reason we will get this feeling back.