GAME #127, SUNDAY, AUGUST 18, 2019, BALTIMORE ORIOLES @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, August 18, 2019, 10:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Any long term damage to Sale would be a disaster.  On the other hand, it could be something ranging from tendonitis to something fixable via surgery and he'll be back to form in April. 

I wonder what the approach to Betts will be.  He's an elite player to be sure, but he has a problem of being consistent from year for some reason and I can't figure out why.  I know the Sox have had a sports psychologist on staff, but it seems to me that last year he was confident at the plate and stroking the ball and this year he has a lot of check swings.  Then again, lots of guys would love to have a "bad" season with a .895 OPS which is largely driven by his team leading OBP which is what your leadoff hitter should be good at.  I think he's a better player than Harper or Machado who signed huge deals last year.  I don't think anyone can argue that Trout is not the singularly the best player in baseball so he's not really a comparison.  Will the Sox tie up that much money in one player?  Especially when Devers may become an even greater player the way he's going at 22?  If I'm Betts I'd be testing the market if for no other reason than to keep the Sox honest.

Good points on DD and he talked about staying under the cap all year and that obviously came from Henry.  It would be tough to say "you're fired because I wouldn't give you the funds to get more pitching because we're still paying Pablo Sandoval". 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 19, 2019, 01:29:40 PM
Any long term damage to Sale would be a disaster.  On the other hand, it could be something ranging from tendonitis to something fixable via surgery and he'll be back to form in April. 

I wonder what the approach to Betts will be.  He's an elite player to be sure, but he has a problem of being consistent from year for some reason and I can't figure out why.  I know the Sox have had a sports psychologist on staff, but it seems to me that last year he was confident at the plate and stroking the ball and this year he has a lot of check swings.  Then again, lots of guys would love to have a "bad" season with a .895 OPS which is largely driven by his team leading OBP which is what your leadoff hitter should be good at.  I think he's a better player than Harper or Machado who signed huge deals last year.  I don't think anyone can argue that Trout is not the singularly the best player in baseball so he's not really a comparison.  Will the Sox tie up that much money in one player?  Especially when Devers may become an even greater player the way he's going at 22?  If I'm Betts I'd be testing the market if for no other reason than to keep the Sox honest.

Good points on DD and he talked about staying under the cap all year and that obviously came from Henry.  It would be tough to say "you're fired because I wouldn't give you the funds to get more pitching because we're still paying Pablo Sandoval".

For some reason I think my pal Elk construed that I was after Dombrowski's scalp.  I MOST CERTAINLY AM NOT!!!!!!!!  Not living in Massachusetts but 3000 miles away I only hear about DD from what I read here and on the Internet and from that I got the impression that he has been incommunicado of late. To be certain, Dombrowski and Henry wanted a World Series Title after those two miserable years in 2014-2015 and it became evident that two AL East Titles was not sufficient.  We were all in and went all out and secured a title last season and no matter how much I or others may complain about some of the problems this year, all of us will trade it for the title we won last season.  You only have to look at the rest of baseball to see how so many teams are nearly prostituting themselves to finally get one, or those who have, another one----and many haven't won in quite awhile.

My complaint is not that we are not getting another title this season but rather how poorly we have been going at it since Cora's blooper of ST.  There was no real reason to over the LTT this season and our aim should be to get under it within another year or so while we do a better job of building up our farm system so we can another run at the Big Cahoona in two or three or four years.

Sea Dog 23

News from the Sox today is no Tommy John necessary for Sale.  I would be surprised if they didn't shut him down this week.

Price is dealing with a "cyst" on his hand/arm but is throwing bull pen.  He could be ready by the West Coast trip.

elktonnick

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 19, 2019, 02:53:29 PM

For some reason I think my pal Elk construed that I was after Dombrowski's scalp.  I MOST CERTAINLY AM NOT!!!!!!!!  Not living in Massachusetts but 3000 miles away I only hear about DD from what I read here and on the Internet and from that I got the impression that he has been incommunicado of late. To be certain, Dombrowski and Henry wanted a World Series Title after those two miserable years in 2014-2015 and it became evident that two AL East Titles was not sufficient.  We were all in and went all out and secured a title last season and no matter how much I or others may complain about some of the problems this year, all of us will trade it for the title we won last season.  You only have to look at the rest of baseball to see how so many teams are nearly prostituting themselves to finally get one, or those who have, another one----and many haven't won in quite awhile.

My complaint is not that we are not getting another title this season but rather how poorly we have been going at it since Cora's blooper of ST.  There was no real reason to over the LTT this season and our aim should be to get under it within another year or so while we do a better job of building up our farm system so we can another run at the Big Cahoona in two or three or four years.

My post wasn't in response to your post,Fred, but rather to numerous chatter in Boston in general about DD's future.  My sister another die-hard Sox fan and former season ticket holder told me that there had been a lot of speculation about DD's future up there.  I think Shaughnessy's comments opened the flood gates.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on August 19, 2019, 05:17:27 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 19, 2019, 02:53:29 PM

My post wasn't in response to your post,Fred, but rather to numerous chatter in Boston in general about DD's future.  My sister another die-hard Sox fan and former season ticket holder told me that there had been a lot of speculation about DD's future up there.  I think Shaughnessy's comments opened the flood gates.

Still waiting to hear from you my friend.  I misplaced your phone number (senior moment) and can't call you until I get it.  We're leaving for San Diego on Thursday and I would like to talk about our team before my wife and I leave.  Any news about DD, please send them out to those of us not in  the Boston area.  I want to see some changes this winter but not a total bloodbath.

rkarp

I think a lot of "chatter" on DD is due to the fact that he is 66 years old. it is increasingly a younger mans game

I think the team has been pretty consistent in saying to Mookie, if you want to be here, we will pay you. it is Mookie that is keeping them at arms length. Both sides would be doing themselves a disservice if they did not find out what is out there and available. but with Mookie, don't we and he already know? seemingly the die was set with the Harper and Machado negotiations. Mookie imo is looking at $2m either north or south of what they got imo. I would also think there are maybe 6-8 teams that are willing and capable of paying that.

I would think Porcello and Pedroia do come off the books this off season

I would think Levangie is replaced by someone with a longer track record and with a minor league plan, as the P in the ranks do not seem to be developing fast enough.

Certainly it is time to move on from Pearce/Mitch

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: rkarp on August 20, 2019, 11:17:55 AM
I think a lot of "chatter" on DD is due to the fact that he is 66 years old. it is increasingly a younger mans game

I think the team has been pretty consistent in saying to Mookie, if you want to be here, we will pay you. it is Mookie that is keeping them at arms length. Both sides would be doing themselves a disservice if they did not find out what is out there and available. but with Mookie, don't we and he already know? seemingly the die was set with the Harper and Machado negotiations. Mookie imo is looking at $2m either north or south of what they got imo. I would also think there are maybe 6-8 teams that are willing and capable of paying that.

I would think Porcello and Pedroia do come off the books this off season

I would think Levangie is replaced by someone with a longer track record and with a minor league plan, as the P in the ranks do not seem to be developing fast enough.

Certainly it is time to move on from Pearce/Mitch

Agreed about Pearce and Moreland, especially if Pearce is still not 100%, but we may not not agree with how to do it.  My way is to resign Brock Holt.  He hits well, proved he can hit southpaws now and always brings a professional attitude to the game.  Chavis goes to first until Casas is ready or Dalbec.  Then we could package Dalbec and Hernandez for some pitching.  They are young and could get us some  half decent arms better than some of the ones we have now in the back half of the rotation or in the bullpen.  We want to stay young but still be able to contend at a better pace than we have this season.  I'm sure, though the team has been given this a lot of thought.

A lot of this depends on JD Martinez not going FA again.  We don't want to get too left handed and Holt would be there for  two or three years, time enough for Casas to be ready if he really develops as the scouts say, then move Chavis to second to keep power in the infield.  If JD opts out we may find ourselves next year in the same spot we were in in 2017.  Mookie, as good as he is, cannot carry a team at the plate; JD can and we still don't know if Mookie will be with us much longer anyway.