5. Jace Peterson (L) LF
6. Hanser Alberto (R) 2B
7. Chris Davis (L) 1B
8. Stevie Wilkerson (S) CF
9. Chance Sisco (L) C

Gametime Temp: 84°F
Chance of Precip: 1%

longgame

O's announcers are rightly questioning why Eovaldi is throwing all sorts of off speed stuff when he has a great fastball and saw the homer on a hanging curveball all but inevitable. 

I'm amazed at this fear of the fastball by Sox pitchers. 

longgame

More bad pitching, no punch on offense.  Palmer has commented on how the everyone from the team to the crowd isn't into it and Thorne pointing out that the fans have pretty much had it with this team.  I was looking forward to maybe catching them when I'm up there in a couple of weeks and now I'm not sure I want to!

Bill-806

COL. SAM TRAVIS with another CENTER field H R …….   The SOX are trying to make TY BLOCK look like CY YOUNG HIMSELF !!!! iono iono iono

Bill-806

HEY ALEX, Vazquez is not a  1st BASEMAN …..  He is going to get one of our pitchers HURT, A K A  John Farrell & Stevie Wright  ???? iono iono iono iono

Sea Dog 23

Bill-806

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 18, 2019, 02:54:48 PM
Hey, a 6 spot in the 6th and left the bases loaded.
GOOD STUFF ……    As DAD would say, "SON, nevaaa give up on OUR RED SOX " !!! rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl  This BALTIMORE team looks very  DOUBLE "A" to me !!!! rofl rofl

BoSoxFanNY

SOX beat the Orioles 13 - 7.

I KNOW it is only the Orioles -
BUT, nice to come back after the Orioles
scored 5 runs off Eovaldi in the first two innings.

FUN to have a 6 run 6th inning.

AND Devers continues his remarkable offensive run . . .

SeaBeachFred

We swept the series against the Orioles and despite their record it is good to sweep anyone at this time of year with our chances pretty much gone with the wind., but can I be blunt and honest about this???????????  We need to start thinking about next season right now, not in November.  Time to bring in a new pitching coach and decide who we are going to let fly so we can have enough mo ney to  try and retool for next season.  We have a lot of money coming off the books and more if we can finally tell Dustin Pedroia that the game is up; time to call it a career.  I just wonder how traumatized the organization is after this debacle of a season.  Anyone know where DD is hiding out because he has been conspicuous by his absence.  Cora looks lost too with that "WHAT WENT WRONG?"  We need to win as many games as possible and still make plans for next season.  There is no choice by to try and do both.  We brought all this one ourselves, or should I say THEY did.

Murph

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 18, 2019, 06:21:30 PM
We swept the series against the Orioles and despite their record it is good to sweep anyone at this time of year with our chances pretty much gone with the wind., but can I be blunt and honest about this???????????  We need to start thinking about next season right now, not in November.  Time to bring in a new pitching coach and decide who we are going to let fly so we can have enough mo ney to  try and retool for next season.  We have a lot of money coming off the books and more if we can finally tell Dustin Pedroia that the game is up; time to call it a career.  I just wonder how traumatized the organization is after this debacle of a season.  Anyone know where DD is hiding out because he has been conspicuous by his absence.  Cora looks lost too with that "WHAT WENT WRONG?"  We need to win as many games as possible and still make plans for next season.  There is no choice by to try and do both.  We brought all this one ourselves, or should I say THEY did.

Not as much as you think .Close to half coming boff the books has already been spent on the good extension to Bogey and the dumb extension to Sale. That's 49m already gone.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 18, 2019, 06:21:30 PM

They can worry about that stuff in the offseason.  Can't really do much in terms of moving players now.  Pedroia's money doesn't go away until his contract does, even if he doesn't play and even if they cut ties with him.  DD does an interview with NESN every week, as do other people from the Sox FO.  Cora does an interview after every single game.  Cora doesn't look lost, his pitching staff looks lost.  I'd be wondering who can get outs too.  In the meantime they keep scoring as well as anyone. 

elktonnick

Despite all the criticism of DD,it is unlikely to be going anywhere.  Let's look at it from a purely objective point of view.  First it isn't that simple to find a competent chief of baseball operations.  Can't imagine the conversation with any potential DD replacement.  "You mean I could get fired a year after winning the world series?"  Few if any top notch candidates would take the job under such circumstances.

Second, Henry hasn't fired any of his top baseball people without a replacement pretty much already chosen.  While we have seen media speculation about DD being on his way out, primarily from Dan Shaughnessy, no names of likely replacements are being prominently mentioned.  Moreover, after co writing Terry Francona's book critical of Sox ownership,  I hardly think Shaughnessy is on the short list of one of John Henry's close confidantes.

Finally, DD and Henry have a long history of working together.  I hardly think that DD and Henry had pretty much worked out DD's approach to FA signings after winning the world series.  Both Henry and DD are playing for the long haul.  They know that winning the world series in 18 has given them several years cushion so long as the sox remain competitive.  The key is remaining competitive.  That means the sox don't rebuild, they reload.  The joker that screwed up the plan was the Spring Training strategy which cost the Sox a winning record early in the year.

The upshot will be there will be changes this offseason but not to any of the Sox core players, meaning anyone whose last name begins with a B..  I do expect the pitching coach to be the most likely replacement with Cora being kept on a very short leash, despite my desire to see him gone.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: elktonnick on August 19, 2019, 08:29:16 AM
Despite all the criticism of DD,it is unlikely to be going anywhere.  Let's look at it from a purely objective point of view.  First it isn't that simple to find a competent chief of baseball operations.  Can't imagine the conversation with any potential DD replacement.  "You mean I could get fired a year after winning the world series?"  Few if any top notch candidates would take the job under such circumstances.

Second, Henry hasn't fired any of his top baseball people without a replacement pretty much already chosen.  While we have seen media speculation about DD being on his way out, primarily from Dan Shaughnessy, no names of likely replacements are being prominently mentioned.  Moreover, after co writing Terry Francona's book critical of Sox ownership,  I hardly think Shaughnessy is on the short list of one of John Henry's close confidantes.

Finally, DD and Henry have a long history of working together.  I hardly think that DD and Henry had pretty much worked out DD's approach to FA signings after winning the world series.  Both Henry and DD are playing for the long haul.  They know that winning the world series in 18 has given them several years cushion so long as the sox remain competitive.  The key is remaining competitive.  That means the sox don't rebuild, they reload.  The joker that screwed up the plan was the Spring Training strategy which cost the Sox a winning record early in the year.

The upshot will be there will be changes this offseason but not to any of the Sox core players, meaning anyone whose last name begins with a B..  I do expect the pitching coach to be the most likely replacement with Cora being kept on a very short leash, despite my desire to see him gone.

The lynchpin to the Bs staying in place could be today's Sale exam with Dr Andrews.  If he is out of the picture for a long period, Sox could be looking at two or more SPs on the market .  Here's hoping.

Murph

Quote from: elktonnick on August 19, 2019, 08:29:16 AM

With Mookie`s rejection of an extension after the 2017 season of 8--200 and Trouts unreal 12-430m deal I see another extension try by the FO just to sort of get a feel of what Mookie  wants
He will probably get to 25m in arbitration in 2020. So that means Mookie will most likely be looking at a 300M deal. With the way Sale has performed and his possible serious arm injury would it be wise to give Mookie a 250- 300m deal and risk being over the LT for years.