GAME #115, MONDAY, AUGUST 5, 2019, KANSAS CITY ROYALS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by longgame, August 05, 2019, 02:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on August 05, 2019, 03:43:46 PM
Quote from: Bill-806 on August 05, 2019, 03:12:18 PM
Sam Travis ???   I know, I know , left hander pitching ……..  HOLT can hit left handers ????? iono iono

Yes Holt can and what we should be doing is putting Brock in the o utfield and benching 222 hitting Jackie Bradley who once again, save that one home run he hit Saturday, is once  again heading into the never land of ineptitude------and we should keep Leon away from that batter's box with an armed guard if necessary.....And, hey Bora Bora Cora, if we do luck out and get a lead going into the late innings NO BARNES OR HEMBREE.  The season is toast but it is not too late to get your head out of your ass and start managing the team like you haven't all season.

No.  Holt can't hit lefty pitching and that's why he sits.  While he kills righties, he's around .150 vs lefties last I checked.  Plus Travis has some power and is coming into his own as a hitter. 

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on August 05, 2019, 09:16:38 PM
Ok Sox win.  Barnes typifies the fundamental problem with Sox pitching.  Eckersley alluded to it.  Barnes may have an unhittable curve but he can't throw it for a strike so he walks too many guys.  Sox pitchers approach isn't working.  NESN had a very telling stat before the game.  Sox have thrown more pitches than any other team in baseball, 700 more than the next closest.

We've been nibbling on the edge of this question ourselves, pun intended.  Interesting to see them spell it out plus the pitch stat is very telling.

Murph

Quote from: longgame on August 06, 2019, 07:53:20 AM
Sam Travis ???   I know, I know , left hander pitching ……..  HOLT can hit left handers ????? iono iono

Yes Holt can and what we should be doing is putting Brock in the o utfield and benching 222 hitting Jackie Bradley who once again, save that one home run he hit Saturday, is once  again heading into the never land of ineptitude------and we should keep Leon away from that batter's box with an armed guard if necessary.....And, hey Bora Bora Cora, if we do luck out and get a lead going into the late innings NO BARNES OR HEMBREE.  The season is toast but it is not too late to get your head out of your ass and start managing the team like you haven't all season.

No.  Holt can't hit lefty pitching and that's why he sits.  While he kills righties, he's around .150 vs lefties last I checked.  Plus Travis has some power and is coming into his own as a hitter.

A voice of reason !

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 06, 2019, 07:53:20 AM

No because he hasn't had too many opportunities to get tuned into southpaw pitching.  If memory serves me well Holt did ok last season facing lefties.  Hell, Bradley can't left handers either but he is always in the lineup with his 225 batting average, and Leon can't anybody.  I think it is worth a try.  As for Travis, he is getting his chance and here's hoping he makes full use of it and Cora keeps him in that lineup against southpaws  even it means sitting management favorite Bradley on the pine.

longgame

Bradley fields a lot better than Holt, that's why he's in.  Holt is an average defender and his best value has always been as a utility guy.  He's hit lefties in the past but in limited action this year he hasn't at all.  Travis can and does hit the ball out of the park.  The 1B platoon already has a lefty batter so Holt would be playing while you sit Chavis vs. lefties.  I'm not sure where you think Holt should be in this lineup vs lefties. 

Leon is a disaster which is compounded by the fact that his reason for being is Sale who is a bigger disaster. 

elktonnick

At one time Leon was a solid defensive catcher but he has slipped there as well.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on August 06, 2019, 12:42:33 PM
Bradley fields a lot better than Holt, that's why he's in.  Holt is an average defender and his best value has always been as a utility guy.  He's hit lefties in the past but in limited action this year he hasn't at all.  Travis can and does hit the ball out of the park.  The 1B platoon already has a lefty batter so Holt would be playing while you sit Chavis vs. lefties.  I'm not sure where you think Holt should be in this lineup vs lefties. 

Leon is a disaster which is compounded by the fact that his reason for being is Sale who is a bigger disaster.

Ted, Bradley is an outstanding defensive CF; there is no doubt about that, but to me his great fielding DOES NOT MAKE UP FOR HIS TOTALLY INEPT HITTING.  HE HAS GONE FOR WEEKS HARDLY GETTING A HIT IN THE PAST and to me he is a fourth outfielder and that's it.  If he is traded I'm certain his lack of hitting consistency would make him  just that and yet we have spent the better part of six years carrying a batter who can go 0 for 30 in two shakes of a cow's ass.  Now if he starts really hitting I will back down and fast, but don't expect me to hold my breath on that score.