Bear

BOSTOS RED SOX AT ATHLETHICS

10:07 PM EDT, APRIL 1, 2019

OAKLAND COLISEUM, CA.

TV:  NESN, NBCS, CA

BOSTON, (1-3)...A', (3-3)

BOSTON:

DAVID PRICE, LHP, 0-0, -.- ERA

Slowed during Spring Training by novovirus, Price won't make his first start until Boston's
fifth game in his exhibition outing --only his second of the spring --the left-hander allowed five
runs in 3 2/3 innings against the Cubs.

AARON BROOKS, RHP, 0-0, -.- ERA

This makes the first time that Brooks, 28, has opened the season on a 25-man big league
roster.  He has appeared in 18 MLB games in parts of three seasons and owns a 3.5 record with
an 8.01 ERA.  Brooks is on his second tour of duty with the A's.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/red-sox-vs-athletics/2019/04/01/566090#game_state=preview,game_tab=,game=566090

Bear

Red Sox

David Price (L)

1. Mookie Betts (R) RF
2. Andrew Benintendi (L) LF
3. Rafael Devers (L) 3B
4. J.D. Martinez (R) DH
5. Xander Bogaerts (R) SS
6. Mitch Moreland (L) 1B
7. Eduardo Nunez (R) 2B
8. Jackie Bradley Jr. (L) CF
9. Christian Vazquez (R) C

Athletics

Aaron Brooks (R)

1. Marcus Semien (R) SS
2. Matt Chapman (R) 3B
3. Stephen Piscotty (R) RF
4. Khris Davis (R) DH
5. Mark Canha (R) 1B
6. Chad Pinder (R) LF
7. Jurickson Profar (S) 2B
8. Ramon Laureano (R) CF
9. Nick Hundley (R) C

Sea Dog 23

Ugh.  Two homers off Price through four.  And I think we left the bats in Seattle. 

markj

Other than the two dingers, Price isn't doing too bad at this point. 65 pitches through 4.

markj

Bogie K's on a pitch that just missed Miami. What on earth is he swinging at?

markj

Nunez with a typical (for the Sox) GIDP to end the inning.

markj

Price is giving the Sox their first decent start of the year and they're wasting it by crapping out at the plate.

markj

Price gives up home run #3. This one for 2 runs. Sox now down 4-0. Judging by the pathetic showing at the plate, this one looks to be over already.

SeaBeachFred

It's all over tonight but the shouting guys and gals......and we look pretty pathetic at the plate.  I'm going to suggest two changes in the starting lineup if we lose again tomorrow.  We need a spark or two and right now we're playing like dead man walking.  Alex, this is on you.  Your ST frolic to go nice and easy has been a debacle so far and while you did a helluva job last season you are going to need to get these guys going.

Bill-806

As DAD would say , "SON, it is hard getting to the TOP, but harder STAYING there" !!!!   GOLD/$$$$$$$ is HEAVY !!!!  1 & 4 , time for a special investigation !!!! iono iono iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl

Sea Dog 23

Sox are trying their best to be the Orioles.  Won't be a welcomed sight in the home stand, whoever these new guys are.

longgame

Quote from: markj on April 01, 2019, 10:21:45 PM
Other than the two dingers, Price isn't doing too bad at this point. 65 pitches through 4.

You sound like the Sox announcers! O'Brien going on about how he was just an out away from a quality start.  Obviously not his fault but I recall thinking "well that's the kiss of death".  Which brings me to something - the quality start and the win criteria.  It's time for baseball to change these two statistics.  First of all, the quality start is a meaningless stat, however, it's not even indicative of quality.  Pitching 2/3 of a game to a 4.5 ERA is not quality, it's mediocrity.  If you can't pitch to that stat regularly, you aren't a MLB quality pitcher.  Period.  Change the stat to 7 innings and 2 runs.  Maybe guys will focus on that - a real quality start.  The other thing is the win stat.  Right now a starter can go 5 and get the win if he has the lead and his team doesn't give it up.  I'd like to see that changed to at least 6 innings.  If starters needed to go 6 to win they may actually be earning their money if they can get close to 20 wins.  Perhaps this would encourage teams to build up starters and some of them may earn half of their money.

Now as for the Sox, right now they have the best batting practice hitters you can get for $100MM.  I'm amazed at how these guys have a propensity to leave balls right over the plate. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on April 02, 2019, 09:18:58 AM
Quote from: markj on April 01, 2019, 10:21:45 PM

You sound like the Sox announcers! O'Brien going on about how he was just an out away from a quality start.  Obviously not his fault but I recall thinking "well that's the kiss of death".  Which brings me to something - the quality start and the win criteria.  It's time for baseball to change these two statistics.  First of all, the quality start is a meaningless stat, however, it's not even indicative of quality.  Pitching 2/3 of a game to a 4.5 ERA is not quality, it's mediocrity.  If you can't pitch to that stat regularly, you aren't a MLB quality pitcher.  Period.  Change the stat to 7 innings and 2 runs.  Maybe guys will focus on that - a real quality start.  The other thing is the win stat.  Right now a starter can go 5 and get the win if he has the lead and his team doesn't give it up.  I'd like to see that changed to at least 6 innings.  If starters needed to go 6 to win they may actually be earning their money if they can get close to 20 wins.  Perhaps this would encourage teams to build up starters and some of them may earn half of their money.

Now as for the Sox, right now they have the best batting practice hitters you can get for $100MM.  I'm amazed at how these guys have a propensity to leave balls right over the plate.

Bravo to you Ted.  That six or seven innings and two runs sounds more like a quality start.  That other crap of a 4.5 ERA is not only NOT quality, it pure garbage.  It's almost as if the managers, coaches and front offices are feeding these prima donna pitchers pablum and, what's worse, creating  self fulfilling prophesies that enable their hurlers to think they are doing a yeoman job when they sure as hell are not.

longgame

By the way, has anyone listened to the Sox radio broadcasts this year?  They have a new guy on, I think he was in the Mets, and he is awful.  Just a grating voice with a bit of a lisp which is unsettling against the Theattle Marinerth.  It was hard to get past his voice.  Castiglione has an annoying voice, but he can properly pronounce the language.  Plus this guy just seemed to have a lot of stupid things to say. 

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on April 02, 2019, 03:29:04 PM
By the way, has anyone listened to the Sox radio broadcasts this year?  They have a new guy on, I think he was in the Mets, and he is awful.  Just a grating voice with a bit of a lisp which is unsettling against the Theattle Marinerth.  It was hard to get past his voice.  Castiglione has an annoying voice, but he can properly pronounce the language.  Plus this guy just seemed to have a lot of stupid things to say.

So this dude would fit right in with the espn crew.  A sounding board for whiney voice Alex.