Started by Bear, March 29, 2019, 07:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX AT SEATTLE

MARCH 29, 2019, 10:10 EDT

T-MOBILE PARK, SEATTLE

TV: NESN, ROOTNW

BOSTON:

BOSTON, (0-1)..............................................................................SEATTLE, (3-O)_

NATHAN EOVALDI, RHP, 0-0, 0-0 ERA

Coming off a strong 2018 Evoldi makes his '19 debut in Boston 's second game.  The right-hander
posted a 1.61 ERA in 22.1/3 post season last year, helping the Red Sox win the World Series  He
had a 3.86 ERA over two spring starts.

SEATTLE:

YOUSEL KIKUCHI, LHP, O-O, 1.93 ERA, 3K

Kikuchi was dominant for four innings in his MLB debut against Oakland last Thursday in
Tokyo before giving up three hits and two runs (earned) in the fifth in a 91-pitch opener.
The 27 year-old was a three time All-Star for the Seibu Lions in Japan.left]

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/red-sox-vs-mariners/2019/03/29/566373#game_state=preview,game_tab=,game=566373

Bear

Game 2: Red Sox at Mariners lineups and notes

Red Sox (0-1)       Mariners (3-0)
Benintendi LF         Smith CF
Betts RF                   Haniger RF
Martinez DH           Sanatana LF
Bogaerts SS           Bruce 1B
Nunez 2B                   Encarnacion DH
Devers 3B                   Beckham SS
Travis 1B                   Narvaez C
Bradley CF               Healy 3B
Vazquez                    Gordon 2B

Pitching: RHP Nathan Eovaldi (6-7, 3.81 in 2018)   Pitching:
                               LHP Yusei Kikuchi (0-0, 1.93)

Game time: 10:10 p.m.

TV/radio: NESN / WEEI-FM 93.7

Red Sox vs. Kikuchi: No history.

Mariners vs. Eovaldi: No history.

Stat of the Day: In three of their last four World Series championship seasons, the Red Sox lost on Opening Day (2004, 2007, 2018).

Notes: The Red Sox are opening the season with an 11-day, 11-game road trip at Seattle (4), Oakland (4), and Arizona (3), the most road games to begin a season in franchise history (previous: 10 in 1901 and 2003) . . . The only other major league club in the last 100 years to open a season with at least 11 games as the visiting team was the 1980 Twins (first 12) . . . The Red Sox will not play their first game at Fenway Park until Tuesday, April 9, vs. the Blue Jays, the latest scheduled home opener in the majors this season.

Song of the Day: “Pick Yourself Up” by Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.

Boston Globe

Bear

Murph

Sea Dog 23

Sea Dog 23

Bogey goes deep in the 2nd, but JBJ leaves a man stranded.

Mariners get another bomb in their second, and lead 3-1.

SeaBeachFred

Can you people believe this??????  Please Red Sox, let's not let us live through 2014 once again.  Not impressive at all.

Sea Dog 23

Geez, there was so much grief over the BP.  Now we're seeing our top starters giving 6 homers in just a few innings.  I've seen an opinion that they must be tipping their pitches. It's really an wild,  unexpected start to the season.

markj

Schloicka

Sox win 7-6. Lot of hr's by both sides. Brian Johnson with the win. Matt Barnes with the save. Moreland with a pinch hit 3 run hr. On to Saturday.

elktonnick

Another sub par performance by a Red Sox starter.  This will eventually get better but I believe Cora' s failure to get his starters ready in ST is causing this.  Hopefully they don't end up in a big hole until his starters come around.

Sea Dog 23

Hunter Strickland, who blew the save, epitomizes some of the low budget deals available for closers in the off-season, if you're not able to do bigger contracts.  $1.3 mil deal for M's.

On our side we seemed to identify some effective arms in Johnson and Barnes.  But there are some tougher batters ahead than the M's.

Bill-806

OK , back on TRACK ……..  161 & 1 would be GOOD !!!  GO SOX !!!!  OH YES, DEVERS ?? 2 games 2 errors !!!! ????? iono iono iono

Bear

It was bad for several innings,
WE WON 7-6

WE GOTTA GET GOING

longgame

What a comeback.  If you had told me that the bullpen would throw more innings and give up fewer runs than the starters I'd be shocked.  But there's a reason pitchers and catchers report early.

I have to wonder if this is some sort of odd challenge by the MLB schedule makers.  The Sox have their greatest season in franchise history and beat up on the other 100 win teams on the way.  So let's get two teams, tell them to come to camp early and to get in game shape a week earlier than all the other teams, then schedule them back to back with no breaks with the world champs.  Then, just for fun, let's talk on 3 more days without a day off.  I'm still amazed at the scheduling to start the season and to play the two most well-prepared teams because they were given a head start on the season doesn't make it any easier.  At the same time, I get that Cora is trying to manage his arms for the season, but you have to be ready even if not in top form.  Sale and Eovaldi aren't close yet.