GAME #159, HOUSTON ASTROS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, September 28, 2017, 12:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipot

Looks like we may get down to magic #1.  Fingers crossed.   But relying on this team to W its way into the ALE is like hoping for my cat to take to the pool for a swim.....

E-Rod just punched his ticket to the bench for the playoffs, joining Porcello.
What a mess every starter has turned into. 

Fister is our ace now  8)
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

markj

Despite scoring 12 runs in this game, Houston has 10 LOBsters. That's a *lot* of base runners for one game.

markj

BoSoxFanNY

THANK YOU to the Tampa Bay Rays
for beating the Yankees.
Magic number is now ONE.

(And this Houston team is a very good team - DANG IT!)

Rob from Mass

Quote from: markj on September 28, 2017, 09:35:56 PM
Yanks lose. Magic number shrinks.
Sox have been getting help all year to get wins why not wait for help to win the division.

BoSoxFanNY

The scheduling this year is so bizarre -
with our Sox playing Houston -
especially with the chance that we may play
them again in the postseason within a week.

In recent years, if memory serves me correctly,
we usually play someone in the AL EAST.

Strange . . .

Schloicka

Sox can win the East tomorrow without even playing. The Yanks play the Jays in an afternoon game so it could be all over before the Sox game. Let's go Jays. Score some runs.

SeaBeachFred

I don't like the idea of crawling into the AL East Title through a Yankee loss if we also lose again.  We need to win a game either tomorrow or Saturday to show that we earned the title. Tonight we got the crap knocked out of us and here's a thought.....Just suppose the roof falls in and w e lose the next three games and the Yanks win theirs.  Who pitches Monday for us in Farrell's little stubborn schedule.....PORCELLO!!!!!  Me?  I would get David Price ready to pitch in relief tomorrow and or Saturday and come back with him as a starter on Monday if that's how it shakes out.  But our worthless manager probably has never  thought of that because he can't  think outside his narrow box.  Still, we can't blame Farrell for the loss tonight.  The pitching stunk, the hitting was not there and we looked overwhelmed. Let's hope tomorrow will be better and that Fister remembers how to pitch while the hitters get a hot streak and we resemble the Astros of tonight.  Grasping at straws?  I hope not.

ipot

Houston is where they are for a reason.  Like many of you I keep scratching my head at how this Sox team got to 90+ Ws.

Up to Fister, again :o  What a bizzaro world this team lives in.....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Muggah

Bosox Board: The Exclusive Home of Muggah

Bill-806

Like SAND thru the hourglass, so should be the remaining days of E-ROD on that ROSTER !! thumb_d slap rofl

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 28, 2017, 11:20:57 PM
I don't like the idea of crawling into the AL East Title through a Yankee loss if we also lose again.  We need to win a game either tomorrow or Saturday to show that we earned the title. Tonight we got the crap knocked out of us and here's a thought.....Just suppose the roof falls in and w e lose the next three games and the Yanks win theirs.  Who pitches Monday for us in Farrell's little stubborn schedule.....PORCELLO!!!!!  Me?  I would get David Price ready to pitch in relief tomorrow and or Saturday and come back with him as a starter on Monday if that's how it shakes out.  But our worthless manager probably has never  thought of that because he can't  think outside his narrow box.  Still, we can't blame Farrell for the loss tonight.  The pitching stunk, the hitting was not there and we looked overwhelmed. Let's hope tomorrow will be better and that Fister remembers how to pitch while the hitters get a hot streak and we resemble the Astros of tonight.  Grasping at straws?  I hope not.

I've never liked the term "backing in" or other such terms.  We win because we won more games.  But that doesn't alleviate the serious concerns about this club.

Schloicka

I've never liked the term "backing in" or other such terms.  We win because we won more games.  But that doesn't alleviate the serious concerns about this club.
[/quote]

That's right. If the Sox win the division because the Yankees lose in the afternoon there's nothing the Sox can do about it. The Sox would of won the East because they won more games. If the Sox win the East whether they win another game this season or not is because they won more games than other teams in the East. No other reason. The rest is just blah blah blah.

markj

Quote from: Schloicka on September 29, 2017, 09:19:44 AM

That's right. If the Sox win the division because the Yankees lose in the afternoon there's nothing the Sox can do about it. The Sox would of won the East because they won more games. If the Sox win the East whether they win another game this season or not is because they won more games than other teams in the East. No other reason. The rest is just blah blah blah.

True, but momentum is important going into the playoffs. Look at last year. They blew game after game in their last 10 and were gone in a sweep in the first series. If the Sox get swept by the 'Stros here and still take the ALE by virtue of a NYY loss, that doesn't bode well for them when they turn around and play Houston again in a week.

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on September 29, 2017, 09:45:20 AM
Quote from: Schloicka on September 29, 2017, 09:19:44 AM

True, but momentum is important going into the playoffs. Look at last year. They blew game after game in their last 10 and were gone in a sweep in the first series. If the Sox get swept by the 'Stros here and still take the ALE by virtue of a NYY loss, that doesn't bode well for them when they turn around and play Houston again in a week.

I'm just talking about winning the East. Obviously you'd like to go into the playoffs with some momentum. I look at the lineups of the Sox, Astro's and Indians and I don't think the Sox match up well. It will come down to pitching. Can Sale & Pomerantz perform to keep the Sox in the games.