GAME #153, BOSTON RED SOX AT CINCINNATI REDS

Started by Bear, September 22, 2017, 01:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schloicka

Quote from: markj on September 22, 2017, 08:50:27 PM
Again with the warning track power. sigh slap

Need to put the track on the other side of the wall.

markj

Sweet win. Aside from Porcello's 1st inning excavation work, it wasn't a bad game. Sox up by 4 now. Very, very cool.

Rob from Mass

Game ball goes to Price .Very good outing outing for our new RP.

Schloicka

Good job overall. Cincy with no runs after the 1st inning. Sox get enough runs to carry the day. Price with the win. Kimbrel in for the save. Reed with an excellent job too.

Bear

A good win for the Sox.  I didn't think a one-run lead would take it, but it did.
It's not a game I enjoyed.  We got to play better than this.
On the other hand, the yankees lost....best news of the night. slap  rofl  thumb_u

Bear

Rafael Devers belts 3-run homer, David Price earns win for Boston Red Sox who increase lead over Yankees to 4

Christopher Smith

CINCINNATI -- The Red Sox squandered a golden opportunity during the first inning. They loaded the bases with no outs but scored only one run.

The Reds, on the other hand, didn't squander their bases-loaded opportunity in the bottom half of the first with no outs. Scooter Gennett crushed a grand slam.

But a 4-1 deficit was no obstacle for the Red Sox who posted their 41st come-from-behind victory. Boston won 5-4 here at Great American Ball Park.

The Yankees lost 8-1 to the Yankees. And so Boston's AL East lead increased to 4 games with nine games left to play for each club.

The Red Sox certainly didn't squander their fourth-inning chance. Christian Vazquez's RBI double and Rafael Devers' three-run homer put the Red Sox back in the lead.

More home runs (242) have been hit at Great American Ball Park than any other NL park this season. So it was the perfect place for Devers' homer drought -- which dated back to Aug. 19 -- to end.

Devers went 2-for-4 with a double and homer. He has nine homers, 11 doubles and 24 RBIs in 49 games.

David Price earns win

Rick Porcello struggled, lasting only 4 innings and giving up four runs, four hits and three walks while striking out three. He surrendered the grand slam to Gennett.

David Price took over for Porcello in the fifth and he earned the win.

The lefty -- making his second relief appearance since returning from the DL -- hurled 2 2/3 scoreless innings. He allowed three hits and one walk and struck out four.

In the sixth, he struck out Adam Duvall swinging on a 95.1 mph four-seam fastball, retired Tucker Barnhart looking on a 94.9 mph heater and then struck out Patrick Kivlehan swinging on a 90.9 mph cutter.

He struck out Scooter Gennett, the final hitter he faced, on a 95.2 mph fastball.

He also stroked his third career hit:

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2017/09/rafael_devers_boston_red_sox_v.html#incart_river_index

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on September 22, 2017, 07:55:33 PM
Jays are up 4-1 on the NYY.  If only the current W/L situations can hold for both games  :-X

It seemed like the Blue Jays-Yankee game was easy to call after the fifth or sixth inning while we went down to the bitter end, but our bullpen stood tall again.  Six hits though IPOT.  We need to hit better than that when Porcello and Fister pitch, but I'll worry about that tomorrow.  Tonight is an evening to cheer.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Rob from Mass on September 22, 2017, 08:59:49 PM
Game ball goes to Price .Very good outing outing for our new RP.

What I would like to keep seeing is our team persevere and be able to come back from a deficit as they have so many times this season, and would like it better if we could get the jump earlier and set the pace and help calm our nerves.  What I don't want to see if for us to give that extra game lead back tomorrow, but you have to give credit where credit it due.  We seem to be able to do what's needed to get the job done and that is what we have to keep doing to move this engine along.

Rob from Mass

Fred it's not how many hits that are important it's when you get them that counts more important than the amount.

ipot

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 22, 2017, 09:36:28 PM
Jays are up 4-1 on the NYY.  If only the current W/L situations can hold for both games  :-X

It seemed like the Blue Jays-Yankee game was easy to call after the fifth or sixth inning while we went down to the bitter end, but our bullpen stood tall again.  Six hits though IPOT.  We need to hit better than that when Porcello and Fister pitch, but I'll worry about that tomorrow.  Tonight is an evening to cheer.

Ugh, those dreaded "6 hit" games.  It seems like we produce these every 3rd game.  At least we got the 5 runs out of it.   The concern with Porcello and Fister is, well, they're "Porcello and Fister."  Looking at the playoffs we have Sale, Pomeranz, an improving E-Rod...and then we fall off a cliff.  Porcello will get drilled by the likes of Cleveland, the NYY or Houston....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

As  DAD would say,  "SON, all's well that ends well, and make no mistake, the PLAYOFFS are all about PITCHING" !!!  BTW, nice job David Price !!! thumb_u rofl

longgame

Actually we need to keep guys like Porcello and Fister from having the bad inning.  Seems like they can both do it and do it early, then settle down for the game.  Porcello looked bad early and looked okay after, but I really like the idea of when a guy is struggling we can go to Price for 2 or 3 innings.  It will be interesting to see how often he can do that since it was 5 days I think since he last pitched.  But right now they certainly have the pitching pretty much set - count on Sale and Pom to go at least 6 or 7 (more for Sale,less for Pom) and go the pen, count on Fister/E-Rod/Porcello to get at least 5 and keep them in it and hand it to Price, or to the guy that is left out of the rotation of the bunch.  They each get one more chance to make theircase.

Sure would be great to get another game today, I really want to put this thing away!

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 23, 2017, 01:10:29 PM

Actually we need to keep guys like Porcello and Fister from having the bad inning.  Seems like they can both do it and do it early, then settle down for the game.  Porcello looked bad early and looked okay after, but I really like the idea of when a guy is struggling we can go to Price for 2 or 3 innings.  It will be interesting to see how often he can do that since it was 5 days I think since he last pitched.  But right now they certainly have the pitching pretty much set - count on Sale and Pom to go at least 6 or 7 (more for Sale,less for Pom) and go the pen, count on Fister/E-Rod/Porcello to get at least 5 and keep them in it and hand it to Price, or to the guy that is left out of the rotation of the bunch.  They each get one more chance to make theircase.

Sure would be great to get another game today, I really want to put this thing away!

Can't get greedy Ted, though the temptation is great to do so.  I did say the Blue Jays could take a game from the Yankees unlike Minnesota but they would have to play real good ball to take two of three from New York even though we'd like that very much.  The Red Sox, however, can make that moot by continuing to win our games.  Still what you said rings very true.  It would be great.