GAME #148, BOSTON RED SOX AT TAMPA BAY RAYS

Started by Bear, September 16, 2017, 02:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX V RAYS

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2017, 6 PM AT TROPICANA FIELD

TV:  NESN, FOX SPORTS SUN

BOSTON, (84-63).................................................................................................TAMPA, (72-76)

BOSTON:

RICK PORCELLO, RHP, 9-17, 4.64 ERA, 167K

The sinkerballer kept the Sox in the game last time out but lost, allowing
five hits and two runs in five innings.  Porcello, has a much better ERA on the
road (3.74) than at home (5.30).  In five starts vs the Rays, Porcello is 1-4
with a 4.19 ERA.

TAMPA:

ALEX COBB, RHP, 11-9, 3.59 ERA, 119K

Cobb has won his last two outings and has delivered quality starts in
each of his last three, the most recent of which came against the Red Sox.
Although it took him 93 pitches to navigate five-plus innings, he held
Boston to just one earned run.

Porcello, Cobb slated for rematch at the Trop

Connor Mount

Veteran right-handers Rick Porcello and Alex Cobb match up again after last week's tilt in Fenway Park, squaring off on the Tropicana Field mound Saturday as the Red Sox try to boost their postseason hopes while dampening the Rays' October plans.

Cobb (11-9, 3.59 ERA) bested the Red Sox with five innings of one-run ball Sunday, but will be put to the test again by a familiar, division-leading opponent.

"It's a difficulty no matter who you're facing, if you're doing it twice in a row with six days in between each start," Cobb said. "But it's especially tough when you're facing a lineup like theirs. And I feel like I haven't missed a series against them this year."

The Tampa Bay righty has pitched four times against Boston, accumulating a 3.00 ERA and 3-0 record. He'll try to continue that success the way he knows best: pitching to contact.

"You do your best to pitch to your strengths and try to stay aggressive in the zone and really take that blueprint into every single game against these guys," Cobb said. "They see pitches well, they don't strike out a bunch, so try to induce some weak contact and see how deep into the game you can go."

Cobb and Porcello (9-17, 4.64 ERA) both lasted five innings in their last matchup, with Porcello taking the loss after giving up two runs. While no pitcher wants to be taken out early, Cobb said there is some benefit to the early hook in that opposing hitters didn't get too many looks at him.

"I think I was, I don't want to say fortunate, but only going five innings last time out, I saw a couple guys three times and most of them two times through the order," said Cobb, who faced 21 batters. "So that might play to my advantage a little bit as well."

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Porcello has faced the Rays five times this year and is 1-4 with a 4.91 ERA. However, he did author an immaculate inning in his Aug. 9 start, his lone victory versus Tampa Bay this season.

• Entering Friday's game, Red Sox pitchers had struck out a team-record 1,408, the third-highest total in the Majors. The Rays, meanwhile, were on pace to break their franchise mark for offensive strikeouts, with 1,407 entering Friday (second-most in MLB).

• Boston lowered its magic number to clinch a postseason berth to single digits Thursday. The Red Sox are trying to reach the playoffs in consecutive years for the first time since a three-year span from 2007-09.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170915254451550/porcello-cobb-slated-for-rematch-at-the-trop/?game_pk=492313

Bear

Red Sox v. Cobb:

Bogaerts SS,
Vázquez C,
Benintendi LF,
Betts RF,
Moreland 1B,
Young DH,
Devers 3B,
Holt 2B,
Bradley Jr. CF,

Porcello RHP.

We need to win but look at this lineup?????

Bill-806

15 innings ?? The boys should be exhausted  !! iono slap rofl

Sea Dog 23

Tough pitching matchup.  Bats will need to be noisy.

SeaBeachFred

Now that stupid ass manager is starting the putrid Young against a righty?  Man, can we do better than that?

Schloicka

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 16, 2017, 03:02:50 PM
Now that stupid ass manager is starting the putrid Young against a righty?  Man, can we do better than that?

Guy is so putrid he's hitting .269 against right handers. Guess we should bench Moreland, Betts, JBJ, Devers & Holt too since they have even worse averages against right handers? And 4 of those 5 should hit right handers better since they are left handed hitters! Guess you just needed something to complain about so you closed your eyes and picked something out of your bitch hat! So many facts and so little time for you to read them!

Schloicka

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 16, 2017, 04:56:12 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on September 16, 2017, 04:48:52 PM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 16, 2017, 03:02:50 PM

Guy is so putrid he's hitting .269 against right handers. Guess we should bench Moreland, Betts, JBJ, Devers & Holt too since they have even worse averages against right handers? And 4 of those 5 should hit right handers better since they are left handed hitters! Guess you just needed something to complain about so you closed your eyes and picked something out of your bitch hat! So many facts and so little time for you to read them!

Screw you jerkoff.  Young has no business even being on the team, let alone being in the starting lineup.  If you took your brains out of your rear end and put them back in your head you would know that your boy Young has hit under 200 the last six weeks, has not hit a homer and has, what two RBI's in  that time.  How about those stats bi tch hat?????  I warned you once or twice before if you disagree with me and present facts to the contrary I could let that pass butthole, but if you get personal with me I'm going to retaliate in kind you slimy puke brain.

Your a funny guy. Young is hitting .333 in September. Who gives a crap what he hit in August since we are playing now and not then? As far as guys playing Holt should be on the bench with Marrero playing 2nd base.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Bear on September 16, 2017, 02:09:09 AM
Red Sox v. Cobb:

Bogaerts SS,
Vázquez C,
Benintendi LF,
Betts RF,
Moreland 1B,
Young DH,
Devers 3B,
Holt 2B,
Bradley Jr. CF,

Porcello RHP.

We need to win but look at this lineup?????

Well I noticed that Farrell was able to get his pet Young back in the lineup and there is nothing we can do about it but rail on.  But someway we better find a way to win today's game or we'll be down to 2 games in front.  The Yankees are crushing the fading Orioles again, and no surprise there.  Our addled manager had better have a quick hook today if Rick starts giving up ropes, though better yet, maybe he'll pitch a good game and the hitters will wake up.  We're facing a guy who beat us last Sunday.  We need this game badly.

Schloicka

longgame

I don't get Vaz hitting 2nd.  More like a 5 guy I would think.

I was thinking about how great it must be to be a Yankee.  You have a crappy team, yet when you play the teams trailing you, you show up and put a bunch of runs on the board.  Then, being September, you can rest you liabilities, I mean veterans that can't play more than 5 innings every 2 days, and you use your callups to rest your pitching staff.

Of course having your ace fall behind and then going 16 is a different strategy I guess.

Rob from Mass

DO THIS CRAP BY PM.
THE REST OF US ARE NOT INTERESTED

THANK YOU

elktonnick

I get the biggest kick (pardon the pun) out of the Rays pitcher Cobb.  Sometimes I think he s auditioning for the ballet with his leg kick

Schloicka

10 errors for Devers already? That's a lot of errors. Didn't think he had that many.

Rob from Mass

Whats wrong with Porcello?
6 IP and 71 pitches. Should be close to a 100 like the rest of the Sox starters.

Schloicka

Catch the ball Vaz. Can't let a guy just move to 3rd because you didn't catch it.