GAME #158, TORONTO BLUE JAYS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, September 27, 2017, 02:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on September 27, 2017, 08:58:52 PM
Rare event of bats bailing out Porcello.  But this doesn't bode well for Porcello as a playoff starter.

Porcello shouldn't even be on the roster for the playoffs----that is if we get in as the AL East Champions.  If we get in as a WC I don't really give a hoot in hell because I will be rooting for us to lose so we have a chance of getting rid of Farrell once and for all, that is if Henry still has a pulse and doesn't give us all a big middle finger.

But we should all feel a little better that we won tonight and got a little closer to the AL East Title.  I should add, though, that we cannot expect Tampa Bay tomorrow  to beat the Yankees, and we can hope that the Blue Jays could win one of those games this weekend, but we would be much better served if we could win two of the four from the Astros and win it ourselves--even though I would welcome any help we can get.  This lineup we had tonight we ought to go with the next four games and this time Farrell must keep his palsied hands off of it and let these guys play.  An exception is Betts if he can play----and Pedroia MUST play since he is the only one on the team who has won anything worth while, though Moreland might have been on two WS losers.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on September 27, 2017, 08:58:52 PM
Rare event of bats bailing out Porcello.  But this doesn't bode well for Porcello as a playoff starter.

Good to see some of us finally getting off the Jackie Bradley bandwagon at long last.  He was crap in 2014, had one really great run in 2015, and faded badly in 2016.  Now he looks worse than ever and hasn't gotten a hit in over 30 at-bats.  He still has value and this winter he should be put in any trade we make because within two years we won't be able to get squat for what is really a very defensive talented but weak hitting fourth outfielder type.  And Bogaerts is another one who can be traded away, though some will squeal because of what he did tonight, but many times has he done that this season?????  Not many at all.  Now we have to hope we can squeeze out  two more win, or, luckily, either TB beats the Yankees tomorrow (doubtful) or the Blue Jays eek out a win this  weekend ( a slightly better chance, I said slightly)

Schloicka

Guess Xman winning the World series in 2013 doesn't count!

Xman had a hand injury this year that limited his ability to really drive the ball for a couple months but he still played in over 140 games. The 2 previous years he averaged 156 games while averaging 194 hits and 85 RBI. He averaged .307 over the 2 years with over 600 at bats both years. He might not be a big HR hitter (he averaged 14 a year the last 2 seasons) but he hits quite a few doubles and he still drives in quite a few runs when healthy. Overall the Sox would be hard pressed to get another SS who can match those numbers. They certainly don't have anyone in the organization (under contract past this season) who can do it right now. Most teams would be very happy to have him included in any trade.

That being said I'd trade anyone on the team if it makes the team better. There are no untouchables. Never saw a player that couldn't be traded.

BoSoxFanNY

GLAD to see the Red Sox bats
win this game.
Just imagine IF they had been hitting like
this the other two games . . .

Oh well.
Better lineup tonight -

I will not be grumpy when I awaken tomorrow.

WANT this team to win the AL EAST!

Bear

George, I'd never trade Betts....too many upsides. sigh

ipot

We hit 3 HRs tonight.  First time since the moon landing. 
Funny how we also gave up 3 HRs too. 

Porcello is  HR machine, leads the league with 38.  He should be the main even at the Home Run Derby next year.  Make it a little more interesting.  "Who can hit the most HRs off Porcello?"

We're down to magic #2 and our "aces" are coming up duds.....

Oh, and Workman's really starting to stink it up lately. 
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bill-806

How about OUR  RED SOX ??  10 RUNS, saving them all from April, May, & June.... thumb_u rofl

Schloicka

Quote from: ipot on September 28, 2017, 01:07:16 AM

Porcello is  HR machine, leads the league with 38.  He should be the main even at the Home Run Derby next year.  Make it a little more interesting.  "Who can hit the most HRs off Porcello?"

I don't see where Workman stunk it up last night. He came in with a 5 run lead with the object being to finish the 9th with the lead which he did. He never was in danger of giving up the lead. I didn't find it unusual for a hr to be hit since his job was to throw strikes so as not to walk a bunch of guys (he threw 16 pitches which 11 were strikes) and the hitter knows that. A lot of hr's get hit by the losing team in games that are pretty much already decided. If we need to worry about any of our pitchers I'd be worried about our starters who have given up 15 earned runs in 12 2/3 innings this week. The only good thing I can say about our 2 best starters is they will get a chance to redeem themselves either later this week or in the playoffs which ever opportunity comes first. 

longgame

Funny how when they hit HRs they almost always win. 

ipot

Quote from: Schloicka on September 28, 2017, 08:07:32 AM

I don't see where Workman stunk it up last night. He came in with a 5 run lead with the object being to finish the 9th with the lead which he did. He never was in danger of giving up the lead. I didn't find it unusual for a hr to be hit since his job was to throw strikes so as not to walk a bunch of guys (he threw 16 pitches which 11 were strikes) and the hitter knows that. A lot of hr's get hit by the losing team in games that are pretty much already decided. If we need to worry about any of our pitchers I'd be worried about our starters who have given up 15 earned runs in 12 2/3 innings this week. The only good thing I can say about our 2 best starters is they will get a chance to redeem themselves either later this week or in the playoffs which ever opportunity comes first.

In most circumstances i would agree.  Workman has not had the best of months in his last few outings.  I'd like to see him pitch to keep the people off the bases, as if it were a high pressure situation.  These are the tune-ups we need from our pen these final games.   On the starters, zero argument from me.  It's quite worrisome.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee