GAME #153 - WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2021 - NEW YORK METS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, September 22, 2021, 08:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

We've been watching Barnes go up and down for years. ERod, too. Barnes looked like he was part of the actual pitch earlier in the year. Zero wasted body movement. Everything was straight at the plate. It was like he had a running start and could not possibly do anything but heave the ball to the chest protector. When he struggles, his energy gets a lot of side to side. I can't help but think of that Giant's pitcher who was big 10-ish years ago named Lincecum. I had read that when he was a kid, his father used to place a dollar bill on the ground where his follow through was supposed to be. If he touched it, he could keep it.  I know nothing about pitching, but it struck me as an interesting visual and was reminded of that when watching Barnes earlier in the year. 

Bill-806

SOX are on a great run ...... Going forward from here , SOX should go to the TAMPA BAY play book ...... Start with an OPENER and the mix & match as needed ...... We can not afford bringing in a pitcher that is not on top of their game !!! thumb_u iono iono

longgame

Good points on Barnes.  He's all over the place.  Don't know what the temperature was up there but his hat was wet with sweat when he came in and only got worse.  Sawamura does the same thing only he falls off to the other side.  When these guys start to fall of they try to correct in mid air which isn't going to work if your arm isn't pointing in the right direction. 

Also absolutely right on the coaching or pitch calling or combination thereof.  Just try to power some over the plate and make them earn it.  And also good point on the comparison to E-Rod and it keeps going back to the mental toughness we've been talking about all season.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on September 22, 2021, 08:32:44 PM
Meatball Matt walks the first batter, of course.

Meatball Matt should be pulled as soon as he comes into a game and walks the first batter as he seems t do more than 90% of the time.  Cora must pull him EVERY time he does that.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on September 23, 2021, 08:31:49 AM
Quote from: longgame on September 23, 2021, 07:58:23 AM
I was wondering because I didn't think I saw the cart after the Schwarber homers.  Not sure what's up with that.

Barnes is a freaking mess.  Signs a big deal, can't pitch.  What I don't get is does he throw okay in the bullpen and then is afraid to throw it over the plate to batters?  It doesn't make sense.  Ottavino made Barnes feel like he won't be missed by giving up a Meatball Matt Home Run. 

But if they can keep hitting, and give up runs only when they have a big lead, then fine.  Not sure that approach works against good teams.

From the moment he. stepped on the mound Barnes was sweating profusely.  He was a nervous wreck.  So instead of trying to setup his fastball he throws the knuckle curve and changeup.  He sets himself up for failure.  Of his first 16 pitches only 6 were strikes.  I blame the catcher and pitching coach as well.  Before Barnes pitches they should make it clear hits are okay but walks are totally unacceptable.  Get him back to pounding the strike zone.

And pull his ass if he doesn't do it.  No reason for his fear of throwng hard and pounding the strike zone.  What the hell happened to him?  He was going great until he gave up that two run homer in the ninth to Ohtani back in Ju ly and been total cap since.

MongoLikeSox

How knowledgeable are these bullpen coaches? Can they spot a guy not having a good warmup session?

I'm still mostly in favor of this 3 batter minimum thing, though I wish there was a way to say something like 2 straight walks and this guys out. Any system I can come up with in 30 seconds or less is wide open to abuse, though.

I'm also in favor of nicknaming the 3-batter minimum rule in honor of the Blue Jays' manager. I do NOT miss watching him run bullpens one batter at a time.

markj

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 23, 2021, 02:55:07 PM
Quote from: markj on September 22, 2021, 08:32:44 PM
Meatball Matt walks the first batter, of course.

Meatball Matt should be pulled as soon as he comes into a game and walks the first batter as he seems t do more than 90% of the time.  Cora must pull him EVERY time he does that.

The three batter rule means Barnes gets to load the bases before he can be pulled.

longgame

I've always been in favor of treating relievers who walk the first batter like they do injured racehorses - shoot them on the spot.  Unfortunately, the only time you can put Matt in now is when there is enough of a run differential that 3 baserunners won't matter.