GAME #153 - WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2021 - NEW YORK METS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, September 22, 2021, 08:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Could we possibly be back to the do no wrong Sox?  Dalbec sits but apparently Schwarber owns Walker at 5 for 10 with 5 homers and the Mets in general. 

Meanwhile the Mets look like the Sox did in August. 

markj

markj

elktonnick

It is utterly indefensible for Barnes to walk that many guys with a 9 run lead.

markj

Out of it with just one run in. Great throw by Hernandez to get the runner at third.

markj

markj

markj

markj

Sox win 12-5. Does indeed look like the Sox have found some magic in those old yellow uniforms.

markj

Sox extend the streak to 7 and have scored 59 runs in those 7 games.

markj

Sea Dog 23

I saw a question of probability overnight.  If the Sox don't lose again, they are World Champs!  But twas a great game for Sale.  That respit really seemed to help his pace and effectiveness.  The pitching looks to be really deep, with the exception of Pivetta, ERod, Barnes and Otto who are all walking too many batters for a good pennant chase time of year.  Anyone notice that there are no shopping cart rides after homers?  Must be related to the Covid precautions.

markj

Xander got a cart ride the in first Mets game. I didn't see it happen last night, though.

longgame

I was wondering because I didn't think I saw the cart after the Schwarber homers.  Not sure what's up with that.

Barnes is a freaking mess.  Signs a big deal, can't pitch.  What I don't get is does he throw okay in the bullpen and then is afraid to throw it over the plate to batters?  It doesn't make sense.  Ottavino made Barnes feel like he won't be missed by giving up a Meatball Matt Home Run. 

But if they can keep hitting, and give up runs only when they have a big lead, then fine.  Not sure that approach works against good teams.

elktonnick

Quote from: longgame on September 23, 2021, 07:58:23 AM
I was wondering because I didn't think I saw the cart after the Schwarber homers.  Not sure what's up with that.

Barnes is a freaking mess.  Signs a big deal, can't pitch.  What I don't get is does he throw okay in the bullpen and then is afraid to throw it over the plate to batters?  It doesn't make sense.  Ottavino made Barnes feel like he won't be missed by giving up a Meatball Matt Home Run. 

But if they can keep hitting, and give up runs only when they have a big lead, then fine.  Not sure that approach works against good teams.

From the moment he. stepped on the mound Barnes was sweating profusely.  He was a nervous wreck.  So instead of trying to setup his fastball he throws the knuckle curve and changeup.  He sets himself up for failure.  Of his first 16 pitches only 6 were strikes.  I blame the catcher and pitching coach as well.  Before Barnes pitches they should make it clear hits are okay but walks are totally unacceptable.  Get him back to pounding the strike zone.