GAME #152 - TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2021 - NEW YORK METS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, September 21, 2021, 08:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MongoLikeSox

Man, that talk about this coming weekend series being "great", a "lot of fun" with talk about a knock out punch there for the taking has me cringing and fearing the jynx.

How about 'Eck and his admission to being in those RF corner sections, incognito, for the 1986 World Series? That is love of the game right there if I ever heard it. Gotta like it.

Hopefully we can take tonight's and ride that through the weekend.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 22, 2021, 06:40:57 AM
Man, that talk about this coming weekend series being "great", a "lot of fun" with talk about a knock out punch there for the taking has me cringing and fearing the jynx.

How about 'Eck and his admission to being in those RF corner sections, incognito, for the 1986 World Series? That is love of the game right there if I ever heard it. Gotta like it.

Hopefully we can take tonight's and ride that through the weekend.

I was cringing every time they mentioned the "knock out punch".  This team has been on the wrong side of every one of those the past two months.  Ever since we "knocked out" the Yankees in July. 

Bogey had one of the worst at bats ever, hitting a ground ball right to the 3B with the bases loaded for an easy DP.  Just pathetic. I thought the game was over then and there, especially when E-Rod and his fragile psyche came out and gave up a couple of runs and was threatening to give up more.  But then Bogey came back big time later.  He hits well when he stands up and extends his arm and gives it a good cut.  His problem is the weak swings that end up with a ball in play.

What I found interesting last night was how our lineup has changed so much and while there aren't a lot of guys who tear it up, there aren't any weak spots.  For a while we'd have a lineup with 2 or 3 guys who were pretty much wasting at-bats.  With Dalbec doing so well and Iglesias tearing it up, that problem has been resolved. 

I have to admit I was nervous when Hernandez came in. 

markj

They even jinxed the weather last night. OB was saying how it was a beautiful night in Fenway and 10 minutes later they were showing the rain coming down.  iono

Sea Dog 23

And a good win it was.  Stroman was probably the best the Mets had available this series.  We're on a 6 in a row run, I think.  12-6 in September.  According to Bogey, we're gonna keep sporting the yellow uni's since it just plain works.

elktonnick

It would be really fun to see the RED SOX wearing yellow against the Yankees.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on September 22, 2021, 08:22:13 AM

Maybe I just missed it or forgot about it but what is with those yellow and blue jerseys that we are wearing.  What significance is that since our colors are RED and WHITE. Even the Navy is not an official team color.  So why this look.  If it works fine but I would still like to know why.  Help me out friends.

elktonnick

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 22, 2021, 12:38:12 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on September 22, 2021, 08:22:13 AM

Maybe I just missed it or forgot about it but what is with those yellow and blue jerseys that we are wearing.  What significance is that since our colors are RED and WHITE. Even the Navy is not an official team color.  So why this look.  If it works fine but I would still like to know why.  Help me out friends.

Fred it was originally supposed to be in memory of the Marathon bombing because yellow was the color scheme of the Boston Marathon.  Since the Sox haven't lost wearing them I think they are going to continue wearing them until they do. 

MongoLikeSox

Indeed, this lineup had some huge holes eariler in the season. I wrote Kiki off defensively and as a lead-off hitter. He'll still get anxious and jumpy, but they all can. Look at Bogey's bases juiced AB last night. Having a guy or two at the bottom who is at least not going to whiff at every average or better offering is key. Slappy-scrappy little hits matter. Having a bare minimum of that available all the time beats the snot out of 30K's and 3-4 solo home runs any given month.

Big decision coming up. Gonna have to sit Iglesias and scribble in Arroyo sooner than later. I had no idea Iglesias was not playoff roster. (even eligible? I've forgotten the rules...)

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 22, 2021, 01:22:50 PM
Indeed, this lineup had some huge holes eariler in the season. I wrote Kiki off defensively and as a lead-off hitter. He'll still get anxious and jumpy, but they all can. Look at Bogey's bases juiced AB last night. Having a guy or two at the bottom who is at least not going to whiff at every average or better offering is key. Slappy-scrappy little hits matter. Having a bare minimum of that available all the time beats the snot out of 30K's and 3-4 solo home runs any given month.

Big decision coming up. Gonna have to sit Iglesias and scribble in Arroyo sooner than later. I had no idea Iglesias was not playoff roster. (even eligible? I've forgotten the rules...)

He came on after the trade deadline and via trade. I think if someone gets DFA'd and clears waivers they can be on the roster though, but not 100% sure on that.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: longgame on September 22, 2021, 04:20:14 PM

He came on after the trade deadline and via trade. I think if someone gets DFA'd and clears waivers they can be on the roster though, but not 100% sure on that.
I went and looked The August 31st deadline was still a deadline for post season eligibility for free agents and waiver pickups, etc. He was signed on the 6th.