6. Ramon Urias (R) 3B
7. Pedro Severino (R) C
8. Pat Valaika (R) 2B
9. Richie Martin (R) SS

Gametime Temp: 69°F
Chance of Precip: 0%

Schloicka

Sea Dog 23

Sox answer the O's 3 run 7th with their own 3 runs.  Iglesias, Kike', Renfroe, and Raffy with the offense.

Cleveland is whupping up on the Yanks again, Jays winning.

Sea Dog 23

Schloicka

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on September 19, 2021, 02:24:21 PM
Sawamura looked terrible. Not much else you can say.

George---here's what would will say.  Others picked up for Sawamura and experience tells me that when someone else steps in to take up the slack it could be the start of something good. Richards dispatched the Orioles in order in the ninth to complete the restoration of other, plus we came back and got the lead when Sam bummed it in his relief appearance.  The Yankees lost again to an Indians team they dominated earlier in the season so they have a tougher road than we do while Toronto has a real tough schedule from here on in.  Right now we should feel a helluva lot better than we did at this time ten days ago.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 19, 2021, 04:23:05 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on September 19, 2021, 02:24:21 PM
Sawamura looked terrible. Not much else you can say.

George---here's what would will say.  Others picked up for Sawamura and experience tells me that when someone else steps in to take up the slack it could be the start of something good. Richards dispatched the Orioles in order in the ninth to complete the restoration of other, plus we came back and got the lead when guy bummed it in his relief appearance.  The Yankees lost again to an Indians team they dominated earlier in the season so they have a tougher road than we do while Toronto has a real tough schedule from here on in.  Right now we should feel a helluva better than we did at this time ten days ago.

Absolutely!
The Sox have made some strides in the last 10 days.
Players have come back from the COVID IL list.
Perhaps they are rested and ready to play for the PostSeason.
Feeling hopeful.

AND the Yankees may have peaked too soon.
Thankfully, they have not been playing well recently.   

elktonnick

Let us not get over confident, remember this was the hapless Orioles they swept.  I will feel better after the next 5 games against the Mets and Yankees.  The schedule does favor Boston but they still have got to perform.

longgame

Sawamura stunk it up and I've noticed that when the Sox relievers stink it up they do it in style.  But they were able to bounce back and the offense seems to be working according to the level of talent they are putting out there.  Like George said it was the Orioles, but the Yankees struggled with the O's last week and the Sox ended up handling the Indians better than the Yankees are.

Now a day off, at home.  Two games, then another day off at home.   Then another day off after the Yankees before the finish with Baltimore and Washington.  That rest is going to help them a lot and should also keep Cora from being too tempted to give someone a day off. 

elktonnick

The good thing about today is the Red Sox pick up a half game on either the Jays or Rays.  On the other hand they lose a half game also.

MongoLikeSox

Yay us!!!

I agree - it does seem like it to me that when our pen implodes, it implodes in a big way. I guess any implosion is big in Boston.

While they did beat a hapless Orioles team, they have been playing some good teams. They fought The White Sox and Mariners nose to nose since the Covid outbreak meltdown of the 5th, 6th and 7th - the last game in Cleveland and first two games in Tampa. That showed me quite a bit. WS contenders? I still think it takes smart hitting and good defense unless good timing is on our side.

Here's to hoping the Jays are peaking too early.  thumb_u

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 20, 2021, 08:51:08 AM
Yay us!!!

I agree - it does seem like it to me that when our pen implodes, it implodes in a big way. I guess any implosion is big in Boston.

While they did beat a hapless Orioles team, they have been playing some good teams. They fought The White Sox and Mariners nose to nose since the Covid outbreak meltdown of the 5th, 6th and 7th - the last game in Cleveland and first two games in Tampa. That showed me quite a bit. WS contenders? I still think it takes smart hitting and good defense unless good timing is on our side.

Here's to hoping the Jays are peaking too early.  thumb_u

The Jays are probably the hot team in the wild card, or had been until the Twins series.  They are showing some chinks in their armor of late.  Biggio is still on the IL with UCL problems (may get back by end of season).  Pitcher Ryu is complaining of neck stiffness and may or may not go on the IL.  Soria, who they picked up at the trade deadline, has exploded to a 7.50+ era in his Jays appearances.  However Berrios was a trade deadline gem, and is now a key to their pitching.

SeaBeachFred

It seems like the four serious teams in the AL East are riding an elevator---up and down, up and sown.  For our part we have to beat the teams we should beat and more than hold our own on th two that could give us some trouble.  This is not the time for a ride south.  Good point made by one of our colleagues, with adequate rest between series coming up Cora should be dissuaded FROM GETTING THAT WILD HAIR UP HIS TUSH AND REFRAIN FROM ONE OF HIS REST PERIODS.  HE STILL OVERMANAGES WAY TOO MUCH TO SUIT ME.

MongoLikeSox

Anyone else worried about this bullpen by match-up strategy? A big part of that is that I don't think we've have had a championship sans official and decent closer. Not sure a convincing alternative solution exists, though.

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 20, 2021, 11:15:30 AM
.....HE STILL OVERMANAGES WAY TOO MUCH TO SUIT ME.
It's gotten to the point, for me, that I see him doing ANY move and my hairs start standing up as a first reaction. By the time I think it through, it's become second guessing. Well, most of the time. And then one night last week, maybe week before, I thought my wife had dozed off. I was startled to hear a, "Now w***t**f*** is he doing THAT for?"   Good times!

longgame

Exactly, you start thinking "now why is he doing that?" even if it is probably the right move.  I think part of it is that nobody has figured out the three batter minimum thing either.