GAME #145 - SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2021 - BOSTON RED SOX @ CHICAGO WHITE SOX

Started by markj, September 12, 2021, 10:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

Schloicka

BoSoxFanNY

OH - Red Sox lose 2 -1 in the bottom of the 9th inning.

I was hoping that we would pull out a win.

Good pitching by Pivetta.
Kimbrel blows the game again,
yet, ironically gets the win.

DANG IT.
And the Blue Jays are on a winning roll.

Sea Dog 23

Sox batters with a lot of goose eggs today.  Iglesias was hitting,  but he got stranded out there.

elktonnick

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 12, 2021, 04:14:33 PM
It’s ovah. Tough l
oss 2-1.  Whitlock gets the loss.

Eckersley put the hex on Whitlock.  Right before he gave the dinger Eck commented on how well he was doing.

markj

They always jinx the pitchers. I wished they'd stop talking about how well a pitcher has been doing lately.

Continued subpar fielding hurt them again this series. They shouldn't be making early season mistakes this late in the year.

MongoLikeSox

Quote from: markj on September 12, 2021, 05:49:31 PM
They always jinx the pitchers. I wished they'd stop talking about how well a pitcher has been doing lately.

Continued subpar fielding hurt them again this series. They shouldn't be making early season mistakes this late in the year.
That's what winning a few WS does to a group. Good bye superstitions, hello to saying dumb crap. Kind of like a wedding ring, come to think of it.

MongoLikeSox

One note worth mentioning, I think. These guys are still playing good teams nose to nose most games despite a world of crap happening inside their own house. Hopefully the guys making their way back sees what Kike and Xander are doing at the plate and making mental notes to not be quite so jumpy or whatever. It's pretty easy to sit and watch through an older man's eyes and advise a wiser approach. if it was that easy, I would have been sooooo much better at gold. :)

orwell

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 12, 2021, 07:48:02 PM
One note worth mentioning, I think. These guys are still playing good teams nose to nose most games despite a world of crap happening inside their own house. Hopefully the guys making their way back sees what Kike and Xander are doing at the plate and making mental notes to not be quite so jumpy or whatever. It's pretty easy to sit and watch through an older man's eyes and advise a wiser approach. if it was that easy, I would have been sooooo much better at gold. :)
Going down to the wire. Jays have Tampa  for 6 games. Should be an exciting finish. Need Bogey, Mattinez to heat up.

Bill-806

longgame

Quote from: markj on September 12, 2021, 05:49:31 PM

Drives me crazy. O'Brien is the worst because he comes up with obscure things - well he hasn't given up a HR to a left handed batter after the 6th inning - and then they start launching.

The interesting thing was we get to Kimbrel because he was overused and then fall victim to the same problem. 

Sea Dog 23

These broadcasters get paid to analyze games. Their flippant remarks probably satisfy the peripheral fans, but don’t realize the nuances of the game demand they say things in a conditional way.  That’s the beauty of the game, it can make the stars we knew in June-July into expendable risks to the LTT by Sept.

elktonnick

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 13, 2021, 08:42:14 AM
These broadcasters get paid to analyze games. Their flippant remarks probably satisfy the peripheral fans, but don’t realize the nuances of the game demand they say things in a conditional way.  That’s the beauty of the game, it can make the stars we knew in June-July into expendable risks to the LTT by Sept.

While that may be true O'Brien is just looking for something to say.  He is a person of limited imagination or wit so he fills the air with meaningless obscure stats which he repeats ad nuaseum.  I noticed the nitwit who fired Orsillo is no longer with NESN.  BTW Orsillo and his partner were voted best local broadcast team a couple years back.  The only award O'Brien will get is most boring annoucer in baseball.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: elktonnick on September 12, 2021, 03:03:21 PM
Cora manages by formula.  That is why Jim Palmer ripped his bullpen management.

Let's all be very frank about it....CORA OVER MANAGES B ECAUSE HE THINKS HE IS THE SMARTEST MAN IN THE ROOM.  Too many times it ll blows up in his face but do not expect him to own it because he is incapable of doing so.  He fancies himself as a field strategist and it shows with his constant changing of his lineups and the shifting around of his players.  This is gold.  WE HAVE TO WIN TWO OF THREE IN SEATTLE AT LEAST OR WE'RE MUD.  I ALSO DOUBT THAT THE TEAM CAN DO IT BECAUSE WE HAVE BEEN SCUFLING ON AND OFF FOR THE PAST TWO WEKS AFTER A BRUTAL AUGUST.  THIS IS THE TIME HE NEEDS TO GO WITH HIS BEST PLAYERS GAME AFTER GAME.  IF THEY ARE TIRED, TOUGH SHIT!!!!  EITHER STRAP IT ON OR TELL THEM TO GET LOST.  WE DO NOT NEED ANY CANDY ASSES ON THE FIELD AND WE NEED A CAPABLE LEADER IN THE DUGOut.

Perhaps this trip will invigorate the team.  It was in this venue that the disappointing 2019 season began that led to our being an ex-champion and 2020 failure.  Maybe we can rectify that by taking are of the Mariners good and proper and maybe even running the tables and sweeping them.  The question is do we have the fire, guts and determination to save our season?

longgame

The one thing I'll give O'Brien credit for is he's good at juggling some pretty bad broadcast partners and has had to do a lot of it over the past few years with Remy's illness.  But that's the only thing I'll give him credit for.

It's kind of interesting to listen to this current three man team.  Burks just isn't good at it, although he's more comfortable than he was a week ago.  O'Brien always tries to suck up to Eck, he's such a fan boy and he does it every time.  Makes him feel important.  With Orsillo, it was like this happy storyteller was relaying the game and bringing in the same emotion a fan would feel.  One of the bad all time off-field Sox mistakes.

On Cora's overmanaging, he's a victim of the times.  My guess is that Bloom is pushing to have him run things like they do in Tampa Bay, strictly by the numbers as delivered by people who never played baseball and couldn't find their way to first base (in any context!).  So Cora tries to have it a little of both ways so it's the worst of both worlds.  I'm glad they're not totally numbers driven, but organizationally they should figure out what they're doing.

It's funny how the eyeball test always works best.  If a guy hits for power and average then I can see that and I don't need OPS to know it.  If a guy walks a ton of guys, especially like Sox relievers walk the first guy, then gets hammered, guess what, he has a high WHIP.  What I really don't get though is there is a tendency to pull a guy who is going good, instead of letting him get into a little trouble, but then other times a guy will get left out there to get shelled and the manager just stands by.  Frustrating, there used to be a pretty regular cadence to pulling a pitcher.