5. Harold Ramirez (R) LF
6. Bradley Zimmer (L) RF
7. Owen Miller (R) 3B
8. Austin Hedges (R) C
9. Andres Gimenez (L) 2B

Gametime Temp: 70°F
Chance of Precip: 4%

longgame

Not Pivetta, he’s the latest Covid victim.  It´s a kid named Kutter something. 

markj

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on September 05, 2021, 10:11:14 AM
Not Pivetta, he’s the latest Covid victim.  It´s a kid named Kutter something.

Actually Kutter is one of our best two young arms just called up to Boston.  He is #27 on our prospects list and named pitcher of the week, last week, by Sox Prospects.  Some of his bio ...

Last start,  1-0, 6 IP, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 H, 0 BB, 8 K

Crawford bounced back from a pair of rough outings with his best start since being promoted to Worcester. The right-hander gave up just one hit, did not walk a batter, and struck out eight while giving just an unearned run. The 27th-ranked prospect put up dominant numbers while with Portland this year, with 64 strikeouts and just five walks in 46 1/3 innings to go along with an impressive 0.82 WHIP. It has been a bit of an adjustment at Triple-A, as he has a 5.52 ERA and a 1.36 WHIP in 29 1/3 innings with Worcester. The strikeouts have still been there, however, with 39.

Sea Dog 23

Speier says Pivetta was already vaxxed and still tested positive.

From Alex Speier: "Pivetta was briefly placed on the COVID-19-related IL early this season after getting vaccinated, so presumably this is another breakthrough positive."

elktonnick

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 05, 2021, 11:31:02 AM
Speier says Pivetta was already vaxxed and still tested positive.

From Alex Speier: "Pivetta was briefly placed on the COVID-19-related IL early this season after getting vaccinated, so presumably this is another breakthrough positive."

or another false positive

Sea Dog 23

Add Santana to the covid IL, if what I read is accurate.  Franchy has just been called up.  Keep that Worcester bus warmed up.  What a season.

markj

Not the best outing for the new guy. And speaking of new guys, John Schreiber?

Luckily, the Blue Jays are stomping the A's. 7-0 in the 3rd.

Sea Dog 23

The Sox have come back in the 6th ona JDM blast.  Now trailing 6-5 in the 6th.  Interesting what pitchers are available.

MongoLikeSox

Now hear this, fringe level Red Sox player. Your manager should never be trusted. Period.

So, he not only brings him in AGAIN after a 2+ inning outing, he watches him fail AGAIN in this situation and then ruins him for several days, if not the season, as he's sure to demote him again to rest up. This guy is a 3.75 ERA guy without Cora mucking him up. Wow!!! 

Cora just screwed up our current 4th best bullpen guy we have.

elktonnick

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 05, 2021, 03:56:41 PM
Now hear this, fringe level Red Sox player. Your manager should never be trusted. Period.

So, he not only brings him in AGAIN after a 2+ inning outing, he watches him fail AGAIN in this situation and then ruins him for several days, if not the season, as he's sure to demote him again to rest up. This guy is a 3.75 ERA guy without Cora mucking him up. Wow!!! 

Cora just screwed up out current 4th best bullpen guy we have.
I was thinking the same thing.  Cora must really hate this poor kid. He treated him badly, managerial abuse.

elktonnick

Sox lost.  Cora's inept handling of the top of the ninth didn't help.

MongoLikeSox

IMO, the "mistake" Cora made earlier in the game was to yank Gonsalves after 1-inning. Gonsalves is a swing man and can handle a few innings. THAT would have saved his bullpen. Perhaps Cora does not yank him if the Sox had not just got them back to within a run in the bottom of the 6th. The Sox did score though, and cora rolled the dice. Cora changes strategies and goes from survive the game mode to win a game mode. He maps out a 7-8-9 inning path to victory.

If I'm Cora, I'm not feeling good about bringing in Richards, Ottavino, Whitlock, Robles, and Valdez. They've been taxed and we've got a big series coming up. Schrieber gifted him with a 3rd inning of Relief. That would have been Gonsalves territory unless an implosion happened. Instead, it was only a one inning outing for the only one out there that could have gone 3-4 and brought them home.

Go for the W in the 7th? Tough not to. You do not reward a team that just got 5 runs back in two innings by not showing them you're going to try to win. That said, Gonsalves did pitch decently enough in his one inning for it to not be considered an un-competitive decision to leave him in. Just maybe have a guy warming up - just in case. Basically, I'm suggestiong that it is not as obvious as leaving in Richards for 2-3 innings or Whitlock for a second inning type of thing, but not a bad one, either. Those gifts don't come along every time you need it.

Bill-806

With the shape of this roster , it's all about "which way the ball bounces" !!!! iono iono iono

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 05, 2021, 03:56:41 PM

Cora just screwed up our current 4th best bullpen guy we have.

I asked myself that same question after I saw Valdez put into the game in the ninth inning.  If shouldn't have happened.  The guy threw two clean innings yesterday and should not have been put in again so soon since in the past he hasn't thrown two days in a row.  I'm sure we're not the only ones who are puzzled by Alex's actions.  OTOH, Cutter had trouble putting batters away and keeping the ball from flying all over the ballpark.  Still we took two of three, something the Yankees didn't do against the Orioles and with the A's going down it seems Seattle is our most pressing competition right now.  Of course, we have the Rays coming in for a three game set tomorrow at 10:10 PCT and we do have Sale going for us so we have a decent chance to make it a good game for us if the guys hit, field and pitch.  Come to think of it the Rays lost  today as well but didn't lose any ground to New York or us.