GAME #138 - SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 4, 2021 - CLEVELAND INDIANS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, September 04, 2021, 09:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dog 23

With an eye on the playoffs, the Sox have to be lining up a minimum of three pitchers.  Behind Sale and Nathan, Houck has to be in line IMO.  In his next couple starts they need to give the kid some bravado and let him fight through tough innings with men on base.

elktonnick

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 04, 2021, 10:50:03 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on September 04, 2021, 08:00:13 PM
Quote from: longgame on September 04, 2021, 06:50:22 PM
That was fun.  Ottavino made it a little too fun, but all´s well that ends well.

Houck was pulled because third time through for some reason is like a switch goes off for this kid.  Probably not bad to get him out with no runs.

The bit  about third time through the order is based on a very small sample.  Moreover unless he faces the order three times it becomes a self-for-filling prophecy.  Finally he certainly could not have done much worse than Davis.
This is absolutely correct. He messed up the last time, was in better shape to do it this time. Add to it that Houck surely had worked it through in his mind already. How he felt last week, how he should have felt and made corrections - which included challenging hitters instead of walking them so that he could go another inning. Nope, I totally agree. Poor move. Give him enough rope to be able to climb and he'll start doing so. This is the saem team that would not let him get past the 4th not long ago.
Red Sox Management know nothing at all about developing starting pitchers. This is an embarassing joke.

Good for Verdugo, Devers, et all for gutting it out. And for the first time ever, I am impressed with Arauze for doing some ball playing today. At least with the bunts and a play or two recently out in the field. Kudos!

I think your point about the club's repeated failure at developing pitchers is telling. The height of stupidity is to do the same thing over and over again and to expect different results.

Bill-806

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 04, 2021, 05:33:03 PM
And Raffy could be our SS next week.  He's everywhere.   thumb_u
SCARY thoughts !!! iono iono iono rofl rofl

longgame

With Houck you elk is right, you can’t keep throwing him out there and expect him to all of a sudden not lose it the third time through.  Maybe building some confidence first and not let him get pulled under duress every time.

elktonnick

My youngest daughter is now an experience equestrian.and she jumps horses.  When she was first learning to ride she fell off her horse. But she got right back on.  My fourth daughter is an very experience gymnastic coach.  When she was competing she fell off the balance beam. She eventually won a state championship on the beam.  The point is you can only learn from failure if you try again. Never trying is a form of preemptive capitulation. To never try means you always admit defeat.