GAME #137 - FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 3, 2021 - CLEVELAND INDIANS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by markj, September 03, 2021, 11:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Sea Dog 23

I’d imagine Whitlock will pitch the 9th. This is a critical game as Oakland is winning a slugfest in Toronto.

markj

markj

markj

Sea Dog 23

Whit made it interesting, but two big Ks to end it.  Sox are 8-4 in the last 12 including Rays in there.

The Oakland pen collapsed.  Gave up 6 runs to tie it in the 8th. Then gave up 3 more after they went ahead for a while in their 9th.

MongoLikeSox

We didn't make it back until the bottom of the 7th. Great to see the occasional good game out of the #9 spot start to happen.

I thought the defense Cora put out after the 7th was questionable. Lest disruptive would have been just to have Santana play 2b. It all worked out, though.

Great to see Whitlock work through some iffy luck. I wonder what Bush said to him in the mound visit.

I saw the numbers, but how did Ottavina look as a stopper? Taylor was so fantastic at that before the Covidil.

Bill-806

Who needs a booster shot ?? WINNING is the CURE !!! iono iono rofl rofl rofl

longgame

Quote from: markj on September 03, 2021, 08:55:42 PM
Brasier doesn't appear to have changed much. He's still having problems finding the strike zone.

It's funny how everyone, i.e. Eck and DiNardo and the NESN crew, seems to rave about Brasier and they quote some good numbers, but I just don't recall ever thinking "oh great! Here comes Brasier".  He probably ended up throwing more pitches than they would have liked as he seemed to be laboring toward the end.

longgame

Quote from: MongoLikeSox on September 04, 2021, 06:42:20 AM
We didn't make it back until the bottom of the 7th. Great to see the occasional good game out of the #9 spot start to happen.

I thought the defense Cora put out after the 7th was questionable. Lest disruptive would have been just to have Santana play 2b. It all worked out, though.

Great to see Whitlock work through some iffy luck. I wonder what Bush said to him in the mound visit.

I saw the numbers, but how did Ottavina look as a stopper? Taylor was so fantastic at that before the Covidil.

Agreed, thought that was strange defensive alignment there, but he just has so little to work with, but it did seem to make more sense to have Santana just play 2B.  Ottavino looked good, sharper than usual, maybe because the heat was on, or maybe because they've all seemed to have sharpened up the last few days.  I wonder if the Covid issue shook them out of their funk.  Only time will tell. 

It will be interesting to see how the team adapts to the IL guys coming back.  I'm hopeful the rest will have a greater effect than the rust.  Interesting how they now have a dilemma with Schwarber and Dalbec, although clearly Schwarber is a big bat that needs to be in the lineup.  But Dalbec has impressed everyone lately and it's tough to keep him out too.  If they are fully healthy, I'd expect a regular OF of Verdugo/Hernandez/Renfroe and Arroyo at 2B.  That leaves playing time split between Dalbec and Schwarber at 1B although we kow Schwarber will get DH days and OF days at times too.  Good problem to have I guess, rather than "who's going to be able to play tonight".

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on September 03, 2021, 07:22:45 PM
Arauz gets that run back. Nice dinger.

Arauz has done some good things for us since he was called up.  He gives it all he has and doesn't look intimidated either at the plate or in the field.  I think he has a future with us as a utility man.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 04, 2021, 11:14:19 AM
Quote from: markj on September 03, 2021, 08:55:42 PM
Brasier doesn't appear to have changed much. He's still having problems finding the strike zone.

It's funny how everyone, i.e. Eck and DiNardo and the NESN crew, seems to rave about Brasier and they quote some good numbers, but I just don't recall ever thinking "oh great! Here comes Brasier".  He probably ended up throwing more pitches than they would have liked as he seemed to be laboring toward the end.

When Brasier came up near the end of the 2018 season he looked very capable and sharp, and had some good outings.  I just wonder if the batters caught up to him or if he is giving away his pitches.  He seems to get behind too many batters to suit me, but, then again, so do too many of our pitchers.  But we came back after we lost the lead and had a big seventh inning to get the win.  That made it a good night.