GAME #136 - THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 2, 2021 - BOSTON RED SOX @ TAMPA BAY RAYS

Started by markj, September 02, 2021, 09:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 03, 2021, 07:54:43 AM
There's word that Sale is in the ear of our pitchers to really to start grinding this week.

We know all about Sale's competitive spirit and will and desire to win.  We saw that in the 2018 WS in LA when he went ballistic in the 7th inning with us behind 4-0 and looking like death warmed over.  Well it seemed we came alive after that and got nine runs in those final three frames and went on from there.  I hope the pitchers are listening to him because the team now has to pull together.  We may still have a chance for a playoff berth.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 03, 2021, 10:21:06 AM
Good point on Schwarber.  Lack of leadership is an issue.  Guys who could have been leaders like JDM or E-Rod are sulkers.  Eovaldi is more into himself than anything.  Nobody else on the pitching staff would command respect other than Sale.  Scwharber reminds me of Varitek in some ways but I like the Napoli comparison.  He's going to struggle at 1B but seems to be picking it up pretty well. 

I'm not sure I'd want to run with this team as constucted because there are so many holes.  Santana is just not a good ballplayer.  Arauz may have some potential.  Poor Lopez is way overmatched. I liked having Renfro up near the top of the lineup and Schwarber too is an onbase machine.  If Bogey, Devers and JDM can click they'd be okay but the offense is built around them and they haven't been big in the clutch.

And they are not leaders in any sense of the word and no amount of fake anointing are going to make X or Rafey that.  JDM could be one though.  He was front and center in 2018 coaching the hitters in the dugout and in the clubhouse but he seems to be disjointed right now.  A slugging Martinez might be just what the doctor has ordered for a strong September push.  But will he rise to the occasion?

longgame

I think JD is more a hitting mentor than a leader.  No knock on those guys, it's just not their personality type.  I think JD is into him and being a hitter.  I can see Verdugo growing into a leader if he can mature and maintain his excitement.  Another guy with potential is Hunter Renfroe.  He just really seems to have a lot on the ball.

MongoLikeSox

A funny thing happened these last two nights. The happy, care-free youthful glow disappeared from the Rays' faces in the dugout.

Another blow was dealt to analytics baseball this week. Twice, Cora stayed with the hot effective pitcher instead of needlessly removing him worked. I was shocked and happy as a clam when we came back from commercials to see Richards on the hill in the 9th. We lose him for a few games, but that's one guy and one win. One BIG win.

Richards also made tomorrow and the night after easier. Having Ottavino warm up and get close to being ready my have cost us his services for tonight, but I still like the move. Let's Richards know the team has his back and to just pitch.

I'll man up and state that I agreed with Fred, for the record. I had my doubts about erod. I'm probably 0-for-26 this year when predicting his starts. Anyone else reminded of another Southpaw the Sox had that was an enigma at times? #37?

At any rate, I enjoyed seeing this good pitching thing the last couple of days.

elktonnick

He was not a pitcher but the biggest enigma who wore 37 was my favorite player the late Jimmy Piersall.