GAME #136 - THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 2, 2021 - BOSTON RED SOX @ TAMPA BAY RAYS

Started by markj, September 02, 2021, 09:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elktonnick

Quote from: Schloicka on September 02, 2021, 08:28:04 PM
Quote from: markj on September 02, 2021, 08:08:56 PM
Not that I miss him, but what happened to OB tonight?

Doing football this weekend.

OB should do more football.  This new guy is easier to listen to.

longgame

Quote from: markj on September 02, 2021, 08:33:40 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on September 02, 2021, 08:28:04 PM
Quote from: markj on September 02, 2021, 08:08:56 PM
Not that I miss him, but what happened to OB tonight?

Doing football this weekend.

American football? Really? For what channel?

Not sure but he does a lot of college football, I know he does a lot of southeastern schools and he may be doing the East Carolina vs App State game tonight. 

longgame

Quote from: markj on September 02, 2021, 07:34:38 PM
Wow, do my eyes deceive me? Wifey and I went for a walk and I come back to 4-0 Sox and E-Rod still pitching in the 5th with a sub-60 pitch count? How'd this happen?

I was hiking all afternoon and the MLB app wasn’t working well with the car so I just tuned in a little while ago.  Pleasant surprise to see them shutting down the Rays and actually producing some runs.

markj

Wow, almost like a real baseball team. Only two pitchers used and they scored some runs. I thought sure they'd get swept this series and here they go and split it and make me look bad.

BoSoxFanNY

Red Sox blank the Rays 4 - 0.
GOOD, solid pitching from E-Rod and Richards.

Some timely hits.

Good win.
Split the series with the Rays.
A true moral victory.
10 players on the COVID list.

Dare I say, feeling a bit hopeful . . .

elktonnick

Fantastic win!. They looked like the team in April and May.  Everyone played well. ERod and Richards were superb!  A shutout!  There is life in the "Olde Town Team" yet

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: markj on September 02, 2021, 09:07:49 PM
Wow, almost like a real baseball team. Only two pitchers used and they scored some runs. I thought sure they'd get swept this series and here they go and split it and make me look bad.

Well I didn't take the bet that
would have added one year to my life because I didn't think Rodriguez would do squat AGAIN, BUT HE DID.  IT IS HARD TO BELIEVE HOW DIFFERENT RICHARDS IS IN RELIEF.  HE DEMANDED TO BE A STARTER BUT IT SEEMS HE MIGHT HAVE FOUND HIMSELF IN THE BULLPEN.  WILL HE SEE THE LIGHT OR START BITCHING ABOUT STARTING AGAIN.  HE'S BEEN VERY GOOD IN THE PEN AND WE WON A GOOD GAME TONIGHT---SPLIT A SERIES WHERE MANY OF THOUGHT WE WOULD GO 0 FOR 4.

Sea Dog 23

I think that was ERod's game of the year and another steady BP arm to boot.   Good sign going into the playoffs (?).  The team seems to be held togehter with chewing gum and tape along the infield.  Heard they are trying out Dalbec and Devers at SS.  Better news for Kike' and Arroyo returning soon.

Bill-806

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on September 02, 2021, 09:10:00 PM
Red Sox blank the Rays 4 - 0.
GOOD, solid pitching from E-Rod and Richards.

Some timely hits.

Good win.
Split the series with the Rays.
A true moral victory.
10 players on the COVID list.

Dare I say, feeling a bit hopeful . . .
YES & DE-DE , RED SOX WIN , WIN, WIN !!!!!!  As DAD would say , "SON, HOW ABOUT OUR RED SOX " !!!! thumb_u thumb_u rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Sea Dog 23

There's word that Sale is in the ear of our pitchers to really to start grinding this week.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 03, 2021, 07:54:43 AM
There's word that Sale is in the ear of our pitchers to really to start grinding this week.

given how the whole staff gathered while he was throwing in the bullpen a couple of weeks ago, I would think his words carry a lot of weight.  The team seemed distracted for the past month.  Are they moving past it?  Time will tell.

Saw an interesting stat this morning.  The Yankees had a great August, at one point winning 13 in a row - and they still lost ground to the A's.  The same article was also talking about how the A's are just so deep and that they're 25th man is better than any other 25th man and the 20-24 guys are better than anyone else's 20-24 guys.

Schloicka

This might sound ridiculous but I kind of like the team the Sox put out there the last couple games. Sure there was no Kiki Or Xman or Arroyo or whom ever but could it be the Sox sometimes have to many GOOD players that the lineup gets juggled to often to get everyone playing time? Ride with these guys a couple more games and see what happens. Plus I think Sale coming back has helped the pitching staff because of his attitude.

elktonnick

Quote from: Schloicka on September 03, 2021, 08:30:13 AM
This might sound ridiculous but I kind of like the team the Sox put out there the last couple games. Sure there was no Kiki Or Xman or Arroyo or whom ever but could it be the Sox sometimes have to many GOOD players that the lineup gets juggled to often to get everyone playing time? Ride with these guys a couple more games and see what happens. Plus I think Sale coming back has helped the pitching staff because of his attitude.

The thing this team has lacked all year long has been leadership.  Despite the media's best efforts to annoiint Bogaerts as that guy, he simply does not have the personality for the job as much as he may try.  Sale clearly does.  Schwarber however may  also emerge as a natural leader. He reminds me of Mike Napoli.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: Schloicka on September 03, 2021, 08:30:13 AM

Agree.  The guys that have been brought up are so thankful to be playing in the Big Leagues.
They bring an energy and passion to the game.

I wish all our players good health.
May they come back stronger AND with opening up the rosters in
September - Hope we keep the players that have proved themselves on the field.

longgame

Good point on Schwarber.  Lack of leadership is an issue.  Guys who could have been leaders like JDM or E-Rod are sulkers.  Eovaldi is more into himself than anything.  Nobody else on the pitching staff would command respect other than Sale.  Scwharber reminds me of Varitek in some ways but I like the Napoli comparison.  He's going to struggle at 1B but seems to be picking it up pretty well. 

I'm not sure I'd want to run with this team as constucted because there are so many holes.  Santana is just not a good ballplayer.  Arauz may have some potential.  Poor Lopez is way overmatched. I liked having Renfro up near the top of the lineup and Schwarber too is an onbase machine.  If Bogey, Devers and JDM can click they'd be okay but the offense is built around them and they haven't been big in the clutch.