Main Menu

Roster turnover

Started by Sea Dog 23, August 10, 2021, 01:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 16, 2021, 09:52:04 AM
Things are moving along.  Bloom must have known that he had more pieces coming.  By releasing Marwin for Schwarber, he lost a 2B/1B.  Word today is Arroyo is getting in shape and could play Friday.  Who does Arroyo replace, my bet is Arauz, another infielder.  I think Franchy’s days are numbered as well.

That makes sense.  Franchy probably moves for Shaw who will be a backup and bat off the bench. Could even see a late inning defensive replacement role for Shaw.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on August 16, 2021, 09:52:04 AM
Things are moving along.  Bloom must have known that he had more pieces coming.  By releasing Marwin for Schwarber, he lost a 2B/1B.  Word today is Arroyo is getting in shape and could play Friday.  Who does Arroyo replace, my bet is Arauz, another infielder.  I think Franchy’s days are numbered as well.

That's great news Sea Dog if it is on the level.  You did say that Marwin has been RELEASED, right?????  He is not still lurking on  the DFA line and possibly headed back to Boston when he is not claimed, is he?????  Good to see Arroyo is going to be back.  For some reason Cora didn't care much for this guy and the fact that he would choose Gonzales over him much of the time was all I needed to convince me that Alex did play favorites  As for French, that would be the cherry on  top of the sundae to see him sent packing as well.  This would be the third team he has failed with and it should convince us not to take on some one else's reject in the future.

longgame

Matt Andriese cleared waivers and was released.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on August 19, 2021, 03:21:24 PM
Matt Andriese cleared waivers and was released.

I could be wrong, but I think Andriese was Bloom's first free-agent acquisition.  So he knew first hand, it was not in the cards.  He did re-sign all those journeymen pitchers from that feeble group on the 2020 team, and those might have been dealt for before Andriese.  (Springs, the others)

longgame

Anyone hoping for a Jeter Downs appearance soon will be disappointed -

Red Sox's Jeter Downs: Sidelined with thumb inflammation
Rotowire  50 MINS AGO
Triple-A Worcester placed Downs on its 7-day injured list Monday with thumb inflammation, Christopher Smith of The Springfield Republican reports.

The injury is viewed as a minor one and isn't expected to keep Downs on the shelf for much longer than the minimum amount of time, but it's a frustrating development nonetheless in what's been a disappointing campaign for the 23-year-old. Back in spring training, Downs appeared likely to receive his first big-league call-up at some point in 2021, but that's no longer in the forecast while he's struggled to the tune of a .179/.263/.314 slash line over 336 plate appearances at Worcester. In addition to striking the ball with little authority (28.6 percent hard-hit rate), Downs has seen his strikeout rate balloon to 32.4 percent at Triple-A, a huge jump from the 20 percent rate he posted between stops at High-A and Double-A in 2019.

Sea Dog 23

Quote from: longgame on August 31, 2021, 01:27:21 PM

Rotowire  50 MINS AGO
Triple-A Worcester placed Downs on its 7-day injured list Monday with thumb inflammation, Christopher Smith of The Springfield Republican reports.

The injury is viewed as a minor one and isn't expected to keep Downs on the shelf for much longer than the minimum amount of time, but it's a frustrating development nonetheless in what's been a disappointing campaign for the 23-year-old. Back in spring training, Downs appeared likely to receive his first big-league call-up at some point in 2021, but that's no longer in the forecast while he's struggled to the tune of a .179/.263/.314 slash line over 336 plate appearances at Worcester. In addition to striking the ball with little authority (28.6 percent hard-hit rate), Downs has seen his strikeout rate balloon to 32.4 percent at Triple-A, a huge jump from the 20 percent rate he posted between stops at High-A and Double-A in 2019.

As it turns out Connor Wong had a better year than Downs in AAA, considering the three LAD returns for Betts.
Wong's line was .243/.278/.695.  Not a great line, but he does serve as catcher, INF, pinch runner and got called up to play 13 games at Boston this year.  Downs would have been traded by now if he was in the Tampa model, but Sox will excuse his down year.

Sea Dog 23

I wouldn't look for too many more signees from the waiver wire this month, unless the entire bullpen falls ill.  More likely we get a glimpse in Sept of the future Sox starters now at Worcester.  Kutter Crawford and Connor Seabold. Sale was impressed working with them while on his rehab. (the masslive article is in a paywall I believe)

"Crawford â€" who underwent his Tommy John surgery approximately six months before Sale’s â€" allowed only one hit and one run while striking out nine in five innings against Scranton Wilkes-Barre in front of Sale on Aug. 3.

“I just honestly think he knows how to pitch,” Sale said. “He knows who he is and what’s going to make him successful. And he’s not scared. He doesn’t back down. That’s more than half the battle in this game is the confidence factor. I got to see him throw live a few times.

“In Scranton, he gave up a big homer. Guy flipped his bat. The whole thing,” Sale added. “Next pitch, strike one. And for pitchers in general, you don’t see that a lot, especially from quote-unquote younger guys down in the minor leagues. And I saw that from a lot of the guys.”

"The 25-year-old righty, who Boston selected in the 16th round (491st overall) in 2017, took a perfect game into the sixth inning for Worcester on Saturday at Buffalo. He allowed just one run and one hit while striking out eight in 6 innings. He throws a fastball, changeup, curveball and cutter. One of his focuses during his rehab was to shorten his arm action."

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2021/09/chris-sale-boston-red-sox-prospect-connor-seabolds-stuff-is-ridiculous-kutter-crawford-doesnt-back-down.html

longgame

Santana and Brasier expected to be active tonight. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 01, 2021, 07:37:52 AM
Quote from: longgame on August 31, 2021, 01:27:21 PM

Rotowire  50 MINS AGO

As it turns out Connor Wong had a better year than Downs in AAA, considering the three LAD returns for Betts.
Wong's line was .243/.278/.695.  Not a great line, but he does serve as catcher, INF, pinch runner and got called up to play 13 games at Boston this year.  Downs would have been traded by now if he was in the Tampa model, but Sox will excuse his down year.

Well it seems like the Sox have to justify that trade and will give Downs another year unless we can trade him for some pithing help (not likely after his down yevar) but Nick Yorke now looks like he might be the next solid prospect to make the grade as he has had a pretty solid season this summer.  Still, there might be room or both of them since Deers MUST be made the DH when JDM oops out this winter---if he does.  Rqffy is still a low level defensive player and very error prone and hasn't really improved inthe field since he was called up a few years back.

Bill-806

I have DUSTED off my GLOVE & sitting by the PHONE !!! rofl rofl rofl rofl

Sea Dog 23

With Duran going on the Covid list Friday night, there is probably another callup coming. Maybe the new IF  Mottor is ready to come up.  I think the OF backup is covered with Santana being called up.  Wong was called up earlier Friday as a bench slot, could play catcher or 2B in an emergency.  Friday night Cora said Kike' will not play this weekend -- early next week it appears.  Arroyo won't be ready until later next week.  What a time to be a manager!

Sea Dog 23

The radio announcers last night discussed that the roster is expanding to 28 bodies.  Also they noted that Connor Seabold and Kutter Crawford would be arriving in Boston from Worcester today.  The paperwork and bio-testing notwithstanding.  As it stands this week, Cora is really doing a juggling act getting fresh pitchers into the game that did not see duty in the prior game.

longgame

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on September 04, 2021, 08:49:39 AM
The radio announcers last night discussed that the roster is expanding to 28 bodies.  Also they noted that Connor Seabold and Kutter Crawford would be arriving in Boston from Worcester today.  The paperwork and bio-testing notwithstanding.  As it stands this week, Cora is really doing a juggling act getting fresh pitchers into the game that did not see duty in the prior game.

From what I saw they seem to be on "standby" in case they are needed but I don't know if they'd add them or at least one bat for the last spots.

longgame

Looks like Wong and a RHP named John Schreiber who I've never heard of.  https://www.mlb.com/player/john-schreiber-670167

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 04, 2021, 11:26:46 AM
Looks like Wong and a RHP named John Schreiber who I've never heard of.  https://www.mlb.com/player/john-schreiber-670167

Alex has a lot on his plate right now and it is no picnic for him to be a manager right now.  Players have been falling likes flies and yet we seem to be playing better because everyone has stepped up.  It would be swell if we keep picking each other up and make this a decent streak.  We really need to make up for that brutal August and have the best September we can get.  Any thought about signing Jose Iglesias?  He was released by the Angels but is an experienced SS and does have Red Sox bloodlines and is better than an untested kid like Lopez who is giving it all he has but is giving a lot away in experience.