GAME #149, BOSTON RED SOX AT TAMPA BAY RAYS

Started by Bear, September 17, 2017, 02:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

RED SOX V RAYS

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2017, 1 PM AT TROPICANA FIELD

TV:  NESN, FOX SPORTS SUN

BOSTON, (85-63)..........................................................................................TAMPA, (72-77)

BOSTON:

EDUARDO RODRIGUEZ, LHP, 5-5, 4.19 ERA, 135K

The lefty is coming off his best start since his return from the disabled list, he held
the Athletics to one hit and one run over six innings while striking out nine.  In four
career starts against the Rays, Rodriguez is 0-1 with a 7.58 ERA.

TAMPS:

JAKE ODORIZZI, RHP, 8-8, 4.52 ERA, 108K

Odorizzi allowed five runs, but only one earned during his previous start, which came
at City Field against the Yankees.  The start broke a string of two straight wins for him,
in which he allowed three earned runs over 11 2/3 innings combined.

Red Sox, Rays set to close out season series

Connor Mount

Center-field rivals Kevin Kiermaier and Jackie Bradley Jr. match up one last time in 2017 as the Rays and Red Sox wrap up their season series Sunday at Tropicana Field.

It's usually fans that weigh the merits of Kiermaier versus Bradley, but the center fielders have ignited the rivalry over the last week by robbing one another of extra-base hits.

Last Friday at Fenway Park, Bradley raced to the warning track in dead center to rob Kiermaier of extra bases for the last out of a 9-3 Boston win. On Friday at Tropicana Field, Kiermaier returned the favor in the ninth inning with a diving snare on the left-center field track, a five-star grab per Statcast that ensured Boston would not score the tying run on that play.

During an 11th-inning replay review, Kiermaier approached Bradley at second base, put his arm around him and made sure to let him know that he had exacted his revenge for Bradley's Fenway hit larceny. Bradley paid his respects for Kiermaier's catch, the Rays outfielder said.

"But I'm about to get back even," Bradley said after the game. "I was mad at the moment [of the catch], but you've definitely got to respect that play, it was a tremendous play by a tremendous player. Unbelievable catch."

The Red Sox clinched the season series Friday night with their 10th win of the year against the Rays. After Sunday, fans will likely have to wait until 2018 for Kiermaier and Bradley to share the field once more.

"We're good friends, we're competitors," Kiermaier said. "We know what both of us are capable of. But I remember him taking that hit away from me last week, so I wouldn't have had it happen to a better person in that lineup than Jackie. It's all good, a fun rivalry."

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• Boston starter Eduardo Rodriguez (5-5, 4.19 ERA) has held opponents to a .171 average (7-for-41) in his past two starts. The lefty last faced the Rays in September 2016, when he struck out a career-high 13 in 5 1/3 innings.

• Tampa Bay starter Jake Odorizzi (8-8, 4.52) allowed his 100th home run in his last start against the Yankees. It was the 29th the righty has given up this season, and one more long ball would set a career high.

• Odorizzi has allowed 12 hits and eight earned runs in 9 1/3 innings over three starts against the Red Sox this year. He has a 4.56 ERA in career 79 innings against Boston.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170916254628370/red-sox-rays-set-to-close-out-season-series/?game_pk=492328

Bear

SOX LINEUP:

BOGAERTS, SS
PEDROIA, DH
BENINTENDI, LF
BETTS, RF
MORELAND, 1B
VASQUEZ, C
DEVERS, 3B
HOLT, 2B
BRADLEY, CF

E. RODRIGUEZ, P (LHP)

Schloicka

Errors by Devers and JBJ. Good job by E-Rod only giving up 1 run that inning.

Bill-806

Quote from: Schloicka on September 17, 2017, 12:28:28 PM
Errors by Devers and JBJ. Good job by E-Rod only giving up 1 run that inning.
All EARLY eyes are on E-ROD !!! iono

Bear

Only thing helping us today is Showalter, O's 6-yankees 1

Schloicka

TB scores again on a bases loaded infield single. 2-0 TB.

Schloicka

markj

Sox need to not blow this chance to gain a game on NYY.

Schloicka

E-Rod couldn't stand success. Gives up a 2 out HR after the Sox had tied it up. 3-2 TB in the 6th.

Schloicka

Sox with 2 hits through 8 innings. Both by JBJ. A HR and an infield single.

Schloicka

Sox lose 3-2. Good pitching. Only 2 earned runs but no hitting. (3 hits) On to Monday.

ipot

Can't blame E-Rod considering the offense never showed up.  This game was over before we even took the field.  At least the O's did us a favor
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on September 17, 2017, 03:46:19 PM
Can't blame E-Rod considering the offense never showed up.  This game was over before we even took the field.  At least the O's did us a favor

Ipot, I forgot who exactly told me this once, but when you have a very long and tedious day, you don't feel it the next day but the day after that.  If there is any truth to that adage we got a dose of it today.  The offense was nowhere to be found and you can't win with three hits.  Perhaps E-Rod could have pitched better and not given up three runs but that is moot.  We should have backed him up more than we did.  Fortunately, we lost no ground since the Orioles finally remembered how to beat the Yankees and salvage one of the four games, something I didn't even think they would do. So we are still three ahead and one less game to play the way I'm looking at it.  Still, it would have been nice to go back up by four.  The pennant race goes on tomorrow and I hope the Twins can do a good job against the Yankees who have always seemed to have a mark on Minnesota.

Bill-806

Quote from: George Schloicka on September 17, 2017, 02:09:29 PM
E-Rod couldn't stand success. Gives up a 2 out HR after the Sox had tied it up. 3-2 TB in the 6th.
B I N G O  DAT !!!  Yes, I know, the offense was not there..... But, the pitching has to hold...  My concern for E-ROD is there !!! iono rofl

longgame

Another in a series of poor offense.  The good news, they won 2 out of 3 and that's the formula to close it out.  The bad news is that these guys are just so tough to watch at the plate.  I was trying to find some stats to see how many times the Sox have scored 3 or fewer runs because it feels like they have these poor offensive games quite often.   At this point I don't know what you do, but as a manager I'd make it known that I'd expect a healthy participation in BP the next few days until the team can show they're ready.

Crucial to win 2 out of 3 in Baltimore, as I've been saying for days, this is the one that scares me.