GAME #156, TORONTO BLUE JAYS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, September 25, 2017, 03:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on September 25, 2017, 09:30:29 PM
I understand your frustration Fred.
YOU are right - the Sox lineup certainly was not a strong one.

HOPE that Nunez and Betts make a full and speedy recovery.

You know Bo, I also am sharpening the daggers for Jackie Jr.  You know the guy is hitting now in the 240's and has gone 22 at-bats without a hit,  If they bench a LH hitter tomorrow maybe it should be him even though I don't want to see that happen.  But he needs to start contributing.  He's picked the very worst time to go into a hitting drought.  He has to remember we need him going all out both in the field and at bat.  Maybe someone should tell him to stop imitating the useless Chrissie Young.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Schloicka on September 25, 2017, 09:53:44 PM
Nunez shouldn't even be in the game tomorrow. Vazquez should DH. As far as Travis goes he should learn how to run the bases. He stops between 1st & 2nd then decides to keep going and is out by a mile. If you want to play that's not a good way to get into the lineup.

Well base running blunders have been a feature of just about ALL of the Red Sox players this season as the team has committed one running blunder after another.  Travis is in very good company but at least he can swing a bat, getting a wall ball tonight and hitting 299.  I'd rather have him in the lineup than the less than useless Chrissie Young, and we need to give Chris Sale all the support tomorrow because that one game we have got to win.

orwell

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 25, 2017, 10:04:00 PM
Nunez shouldn't even be in the game tomorrow. Vazquez should DH. As far as Travis goes he should learn how to run the bases. He stops between 1st & 2nd then decides to keep going and is out by a mile. If you want to play that's not a good way to get into the lineup.

Well base running blunders have been a feature of just about ALL of the Red Sox players this season as the team has committed one running blunder after another.  Travis is in very good company but at least he can swing a bat, getting a wall ball tonight and hitting 299.  I'd rather have him in the lineup than the less than useless Chrissie Young, and we need to give Chris Sale all the support tomorrow because that one game we have got to win.
Fred with the little guy growing up I have had a chance to watch about 40 games this year. not the 155 games a year I watched between 2002 and 2011 but enough to get a visual appreciation. Of course I've been reading this board daily and studying the data sheets as well.
Seems to me that the clock has struck mid nite for Cinderella Brock and I've never understood why we have the symbol of a mediocre MLB career on the team in Young.
Although the hitting has been somewhat tepid, we do have a good starting pitching staff and a great pen.
The data sheet shows zero hitters over 850 ops and only 3 or 4 over 800.
That being said I do like the youthful aspect of our position players praying to the Lord that some like Moreland,Pedroia,and Hanley will get in a zone like they have shown historically they can, and some of this talented youth find it at the right time. We need patient zero and patient one to get the hitting virus and then infect most of the rest.
Be great for these guys to get a taste by advancing to the Alcs, some tough competition.. but we have a chance .. shit I was there for the impossible dream in '67 and this team might not have that heart but they got a lot of talent

ipot

You can only sputter 6,7 hits a game for so long until it they start coming up "Ls."  Oddly, we got 4 runs.  Pomeranz had nothing tonight; that'll happen. 

Glad to be in the postseason and to be likely clinching a ticket straight to the ALDS, but I think the punchless hitting will catch up to us barring a miraculous wake up call.....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Muggah

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 25, 2017, 09:22:50 PM
Pomerans didn't have it tonight but that lineup had me on edge BEFORE the game when I saw that Young was in the lineup.  Of course, he went 0 for 4 (again)  He must not play anymore whether we're facing a lefty or not.  He is totally useless and has been for the better part of three months, and forget Ramirez getting his at-bats until we win the damn AL East---which we could still blow.  Tomorrow we need our nine best hitters in that lineup and that mean no Young and perhaps no Ramirez who can't hit lefties any better than the rotten Young can.  If we face a lefty, Travis plays first and Nunez DH's so he doesn't have to play in the field.  Young sits!!!!!!!!  Pedroia needs to play because just his presence in the lineup gives us  the aura of experience and a winning know-how that we need very badly.  Hate to give up a game in the standings that we got yesterday but this lineup tonight must NOT be the one we use tomorrow.  And consider this.....Sale pitches tomorrow and we need to win when he pitches and he gets his own catcher who we know cannot hit worth a damn anymore.  I know it is only one game but the game was put out to dry when that lineup was put out there tonight.  Lefty or not Benintendi must not sit again.  Now I will try and cool off for the rest of the evening unless I hear someone telling me Young should still be in the lineup.

Get that line moving forward tomorrow.

I was at the park last night and almost had to vomit when I saw Farrell's lineup. I always thought things worked in the complete opposite way---in that you put your best players on the field until you wrap up the division, and then rest guys. Silly me.

And then he goes and allows Nunez to stay in the game when he can't even stand upright? WTF?

Make no mistake, folks. If there's anyone out there who doesn't think Farrell's incompetence is likely to play a major role in these upcoming playoffs---think again.
Bosox Board: The Exclusive Home of Muggah

Bill-806

"They were sure of VICTORY, the MEN of the 7th Calvary as they RODE on"  !!!   Oh, and how did that work out ?????       Anyone evaa hear of APRIL, MAY, & JUNE ???? iono slap rofl

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: orwell on September 26, 2017, 12:10:09 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 25, 2017, 10:04:00 PM

Fred with the little guy growing up I have had a chance to watch about 40 games this year. not the 155 games a year I watched between 2002 and 2011 but enough to get a visual appreciation. Of course I've been reading this board daily and studying the data sheets as well.
Seems to me that the clock has struck mid nite for Cinderella Brock and I've never understood why we have the symbol of a mediocre MLB career on the team in Young.
Although the hitting has been somewhat tepid, we do have a good starting pitching staff and a great pen.
The data sheet shows zero hitters over 850 ops and only 3 or 4 over 800.
That being said I do like the youthful aspect of our position players praying to the Lord that some like Moreland,Pedroia,and Hanley will get in a zone like they have shown historically they can, and some of this talented youth find it at the right time. We need patient zero and patient one to get the hitting virus and then infect most of the rest.
Be great for these guys to get a taste by advancing to the Alcs, some tough competition.. but we have a chance .. shit I was there for the impossible dream in '67 and this team might not have that heart but they got a lot of talent

great to hear from you Phil.  I know you've been busy raising your son and that is priority number one.  Joann told me in a message all about that.  It is nervous time for all of us here.  If you've been reading these posts you know  the very thought of the putrid Chrissie Young back in the lineup just freezes my spirit and boils my anger.  The guy is totally useless but what is worse is that Hanley Ramirez has one good day to inspire confidence then goes four or five games where he is totally useless.  Both those guys should be sat down, Young permanently, but now we have injuries and could still blow the duke.  Of course, we now know that Jackie Bradley is wildly inconsistent and will never be a good consistent hitter for us and that is why others have to step up and take over....like today, tomorrow, the next day and the next day after that.  I'd be more than willing just to accept gladly the AL East Title and be done with it since I know we do not match up well with Houston, Cleveland and not even the Yankees.  If we blow this thing and wind up the WC I am off this board for the remainder of the year and will anxiously await the news that they have finally tied a tin can to Farrell's rear end and run him out of town........and be sure that he takes Young and Ramirez with him.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: ipot on September 26, 2017, 01:34:37 AM
You can only sputter 6,7 hits a game for so long until it they start coming up "Ls."  Oddly, we got 4 runs.  Pomeranz had nothing tonight; that'll happen. 

Glad to be in the postseason and to be likely clinching a ticket straight to the ALDS, but I think the punchless hitting will catch up to us barring a miraculous wake up call.....

No Wild Card fdor me IPOT.  I take the rest of the season off if we blow this thing.  To me we have little or no chance of advancing deep in the playoffs when we have some players banged up and a manager who is so deeply in l ove with Chrissie Young and Hanley Has-Been  that he always ways to get them in the lineup.  I was quite content to win the AL East and take our chances that we get no farther but to me a WC is a disappointing season.  And will someone remind Bradley that he needs to start hitting......like last week.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Muggah on September 26, 2017, 05:44:30 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 25, 2017, 09:22:50 PM
Pomerans didn't have it tonight but that lineup had me on edge BEFORE the game when I saw that Young was in the lineup.  Of course, he went 0 for 4 (again)  He must not play anymore whether we're facing a lefty or not.  He is totally useless and has been for the better part of three months, and forget Ramirez getting his at-bats until we win the damn AL East---which we could still blow.  Tomorrow we need our nine best hitters in that lineup and that mean no Young and perhaps no Ramirez who can't hit lefties any better than the rotten Young can.  If we face a lefty, Travis plays first and Nunez DH's so he doesn't have to play in the field.  Young sits!!!!!!!!  Pedroia needs to play because just his presence in the lineup gives us  the aura of experience and a winning know-how that we need very badly.  Hate to give up a game in the standings that we got yesterday but this lineup tonight must NOT be the one we use tomorrow.  And consider this.....Sale pitches tomorrow and we need to win when he pitches and he gets his own catcher who we know cannot hit worth a damn anymore.  I know it is only one game but the game was put out to dry when that lineup was put out there tonight.  Lefty or not Benintendi must not sit again.  Now I will try and cool off for the rest of the evening unless I hear someone telling me Young should still be in the lineup.

Get that line moving forward tomorrow.

I was at the park last night and almost had to vomit when I saw Farrell's lineup. I always thought things worked in the complete opposite way---in that you put your best players on the field until you wrap up the division, and then rest guys. Silly me.

And then he goes and allows Nunez to stay in the game when he can't even stand upright? WTF?

Make no mistake, folks. If there's anyone out there who doesn't think Farrell's incompetence is likely to play a major role in these upcoming playoffs---think again.

Where have you been keping yourself Brother Muggah?  We've missed you here.  Right you are, though.  Every time I force myself to say something positive about Farrell, he revers back to the worthless bum of a manager that he is.  I can only hope that Chris Sale pitches the game of his life tonight and the team finally wakes up and starts hitting.....like Bradley and a few others.  We could still blow this thing.

longgame

I agree it was a poor lineup and I think he's trying to rest guys before they clinch instead of going to pedal to the medal and being done with this.  No need to come out this flat after a good road trip.  But a bad game is hopefully an isolated incident and they keep on winning 2 out of 3.