GAME #156, TORONTO BLUE JAYS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Bear, September 25, 2017, 03:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

JAYS V RED SOX

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 25, 2017, 7 PM AT FENWAY PARK

TV:  NESN, SNET

TORONTO, (73-83).........................................................................................BOSTON, (91-64)

TORONTO:

BRETT ANDERSON, LHP, 3-4, 7.15 ERA, 32K

Anderson is coming off his worst start of the season as a Blue Jay.  He could
not make it out of the second inning vs Kansas City and allowed eight runs on
seven hits and a pair of walks.  This is his second-to-last start.

BOSTON:

DREW POMERANZ, LHP, 16-5, 3.15 ERA, 171 K

Since late May, no starting pitcher has been more consistent for the Red sox
than Pomeranz.  The lefty is 13-2 with a 2.61 ERA in his past 22 starts.  At Fen-
way this season, he is 9-2 with a 3.11 ERA.

Sox host Jays, aim to inch closer to AL East title

Keegan Matheson

With a magic number of three, the Red Sox have an opportunity to lock up the American League East as early as Tuesday against the Blue Jays, who open a three-game set in Boston on Monday night. Drew Pomeranz will take the mound for the Red Sox against Toronto's Brett Anderson.

The Red Sox are returning to Boston after a nine-game road trip that took them through St. Petersburg, Baltimore and Cincinnati, so manager John Farrell is looking forward to being back at Fenway.

"We love Fenway Park," Farrell said. "Our guys thrive on the environment there. We've had a good year from a record standpoint. Our team is built for that ballpark. It will be good to get home and sleep in our own beds.

"As much as we talked about the second-half schedule and felt like there were going to be more home games, darn, it seems like you throw in a couple of these three-city trips -- you feel like you've been gone for quite some time. To get back home, to play in Fenway, which we love to do, it will be good to finish out the regular season there."

Pomeranz enters the series with a 3.15 ERA over 30 starts, and he has been especially sharp over his past three. He's allowed just three earned runs on 12 hits over those 18 1/3 innings, and he recorded a quality start in each game.

Anderson is in the midst of an extended audition with the Blue Jays after signing in August. The left-hander impressed by posting a 3.27 ERA over his first four starts, and more importantly, he looked healthy.

But Anderson ran into a blister issue on Sept. 14 against the Twins, then lasted just 1 1/3 innings in his last start against the Royals on Wednesday. He allowed eight runs on seven hits and a pair of walks in the 15-5 loss, so he'll be looking to bounce back and re-establish himself.

THREE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS GAME

• According to Statcast's newest metric to measure outfield defense, Outs Above Average (OAA), the Red Sox rank third in the Majors with 18 OAA.

• The Blue Jays will get their first taste of their old friend David Price coming out of the Red Sox's bullpen in this series. In his first two relief appearances since being activated from the disabled list, Price pitched 4 2/3 scoreless innings with six strikeouts.

• Toronto is still searching for its sixth triple of the season, which would tie the club with the 2016 Orioles for the fewest in a single season. The Blue Jays' five match a mark that 34 players have reached in 2017.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/20170924255865754/sox-host-jays-aim-to-inch-closer-to-al-east-title/?game_pk=492442

Bear

RESERVED

(after this game)

MAGIC NUMBER

Red Sox v. Anderson:

Bogaerts SS,
Núñez DH,
Betts RF,
Ramirez 1B,
Vázquez C,
Devers 3B,
Young LF,
Marrero 2B,
Bradley Jr. CF,

Pomeranz LHP.

Jerry Remy is working the game tonite

SeaBeachFred

This is a lineup for a team going for a win????  Why the hell is Young back in the lineup?  The guy stinks to high heaven, hasn't hit a homer in months, is hitting 229, can't steal bases, can't bunt for a hit and is totally useless as a player.  Good to have Nunez back but why isn't Travis in the lineup.  He is a better hitter right now than Young and why is Benintendi sitting this one out, or Pedroia for that matter.  We haven't won the division yet and can't start stumbling around.  I hope Ramirez and his new bands work out so he can help with the offense along with Betts and the rest of the crew because we have to many good men riding the pine tonight.  Somehow even with this miserable lineup we must keep the line moving and win this game.  This is no time for a slide as the Yankees haven't given up, having walloped the fading and soon to be bottom feeders to a pulp.

And it might be great if Jackie Bradley Jr. starts hitting again to earn his offensive keep.  We need him to get hot and this would be as good a time as any.  Just get it done today Red Sox.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 25, 2017, 03:11:02 PM
This is a lineup for a team going for a win????  Why the hell is Young back in the lineup?  The guy stinks to high heaven, hasn't hit a homer in months, is hitting 229, can't steal bases, can't bunt for a hit and is totally useless as a player.  Good to have Nunez back but why isn't Travis in the lineup.  He is a better hitter right now than Young and why is Benintendi sitting this one out, or Pedroia for that matter.  We haven't won the division yet and can't start stumbling around.  I hope Ramirez and his new bands work out so he can help with the offense along with Betts and the rest of the crew because we have to many good men riding the pine tonight.  Somehow even with this miserable lineup we must bee the line moving and win this game.  This is no time for a slide as the Yankees haven't given up, having walloped the fading and soon to be bottom feeders to a pulp.

And it might be great if Jackie Bradley Jr. starts hitting again to earn his offensive keep.  We need him to get hot and this would be as good a time as any.  Just get it done today Red Sox.

Fred JF must be doing something right with the lineup since the team has gone 33-15 since July 31st.
Pretty damn good don`t you agree.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Rob from Mass on September 25, 2017, 03:50:57 PM
This is a lineup for a team going for a win????  Why the hell is Young back in the lineup?  The guy stinks to high heaven, hasn't hit a homer in months, is hitting 229, can't steal bases, can't bunt for a hit and is totally useless as a player.  Good to have Nunez back but why isn't Travis in the lineup.  He is a better hitter right now than Young and why is Benintendi sitting this one out, or Pedroia for that matter.  We haven't won the division yet and can't start stumbling around.  I hope Ramirez and his new bands work out so he can help with the offense along with Betts and the rest of the crew because we have to many good men riding the pine tonight.  Somehow even with this miserable lineup we must bee the line moving and win this game.  This is no time for a slide as the Yankees haven't given up, having walloped the fading and soon to be bottom feeders to a pulp.

Fred JF must be doing something right with the lineup since the team has gone 33-15 since July 31st.

Oh I agree Rob--you're right on the money.  However, many of these games have been bitingly close and if I had my druthers I really don't think I'm being greedy if we could have a couple of laughers  during this last week of regular season play.  Well I guess you can't have everything so, yes, I will take that record we have had these past six plus weeks so long as we keep winning and keep the line moving.  I really want to win  the AL East Title so we enter the playoffs on a high. 

Schloicka

Not sure where Travis would play tonight since they need to get Hanley and Nunez at bats before the playoffs start and they want to get Nunez some at bats without playing in the field right away. Can Travis play LF? Pedroia is no real loss. The Sox have played excellent baseball without him since the beginning of August. He can't even run the bases well right now. Plus he's not hitting very well.

Rob from Mass

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 25, 2017, 05:49:26 PM
Quote from: Rob from Mass on September 25, 2017, 03:50:57 PM

Oh I agree Rob--you're right on the money.  However, many of these games have been bitingly close and if I had my druthers I really don't think I'm being greedy if we could have a couple of laughers  during this last week of regular season play.  Well I guess you can't have everything so, yes, I will take that record we have had these past six plus weeks so long as we keep winning and keep the line moving.  I really want to win  the AL East Title so we enter the playoffs on a high.

Not greedy at all .I want this damn thing over hopefully by Wednesday.

Bill-806

As DAD would say,  "SON, win baby win" !!! thumb_u rofl

Schloicka

BoSoxFanNY

OMG -
Pomeranz was on the verge of a quick 2nd inning -
single, double play - THEN, the bottom fell out.
Walk, single, single, double, double
Toronto 5 - Sox 2

C'mon SOX - SCORE MORE RUNS.
C'mon Pomeranz - SETTLE DOWN.

Rob from Mass

That got ugly quick.Seems this team likes playing from behind.

Schloicka

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on September 25, 2017, 06:47:54 PM
OMG -
Toronto 5 - Sox 2

They had 2 hits that inning that were just out of reach. 1 just off Marreros glove at 2nd and the squibber to 1st that spun away from Hanley. So close but yet so far.

Schloicka

Pomerantz didn't have it tonight. Some bad pitching and a little bad luck.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: Schloicka on September 25, 2017, 06:55:17 PM
OMG -
Toronto 5 - Sox 2

They had 2 hits that inning that were just out of reach. 1 just off Marreros glove at 2nd and the squibber to 1st that spun away from Hanley. So close but yet so far.

True - wonder if Pedey would have gotten to the single that Marrero couldn't get.

ANYWAY - Farrell just took Pomeranz out of the game.
Never see him do that - take a pitcher out so soon.

Schloicka

Quote from: BoSoxFanNY on September 25, 2017, 07:00:25 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on September 25, 2017, 06:55:17 PM
OMG -
Toronto 5 - Sox 2

True - wonder if Pedey would have gotten to the single that Marrero couldn't get.

ANYWAY - Farrell just took Pomeranz out of the game.
Never see him do that - take a pitcher out so soon.

With the deep pen you can't let the starter get buried. If the pen can pitch well the Sox have a chance to come back.