GAME #146, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2019, BOSTON RED SOX @ TORONTO BLUE JAYS

Started by Schloicka, September 10, 2019, 07:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBeachFred

Well at least now some of you out there agree with me that JD Martinez is as good as gone and that makes us much weaker, especially against left handed pitching since we already have too many lefties in the lineup, many who can't hit any kind of decent southpaw.  And if you think that Bogaerts can be our big guy in the coming years FORGET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bogey is a good Nol 3 option but is not equipped talent wise or mental wise to be the big gun.  BTW, I think more than ever that Bets must be shipped out this winter.  For the team to think that we can win with  him in the lineup for one last rodeo and without JD, that's pure bullshit.  Time to retool and the sooner the better.

longgame

I'm not sure that JD is gone as he's shown he's a liability in the field and will have to be a DH for someone who can afford to pay for a full time DH.  The Sox are one of the few teams that have been doing that consistently since the Big Papi days while a lot of other teams rotate through the DH as a rest position.  Not a lot of teams will pay more than $20MM for a full time DH.  If he opts to stay, then they have to decide if they can get enough pitching to make it worthwhile to keep Betts or do they determine they had a good run with this core and build around Bogey and Devers.  I agree with Fred, I don't see Bogey as a kind of hitter in the JDM mold, which isn't to diminish his skills, he's just not that guy and we know you need not just one but two of those guys to make a difference. 

So if they decide to rebuild, then it could be interesting to see what changes they make to what was the best outfield pretty much anywhere last year.  I could see Beni bringing a lot in trade, JBJ being of value to a small market club where he'd be a star hitting in the middle of the lineup.  Betts would have to bring a lot in value to make it worthwhile, but he would also free up some good salary dollars.

The real question though is what they have and can do with the pitching they have which is very limited.  I don't think anyone would shed a tear if the entire bullpen went away.  Who is worth keeping?  They're stuck with Sale, Price and Eovaldi (Price and Eovaldi through 2022 and Sale 2024) and can hope E-Rod has a repeat of this year.  They need a reliable starter because I don't know which of the guys they have signed long term are reliable anymore. 

Murph

Quote from: longgame on September 12, 2019, 01:43:07 PM
I'm not sure that JD is gone as he's shown he's a liability in the field and will have to be a DH for someone who can afford to pay for a full time DH.  The Sox are one of the few teams that have been doing that consistently since the Big Papi days while a lot of other teams rotate through the DH as a rest position.  Not a lot of teams will pay more than $20MM for a full time DH.  If he opts to stay, then they have to decide if they can get enough pitching to make it worthwhile to keep Betts or do they determine they had a good run with this core and build around Bogey and Devers.  I agree with Fred, I don't see Bogey as a kind of hitter in the JDM mold, which isn't to diminish his skills, he's just not that guy and we know you need not just one but two of those guys to make a difference. 

So if they decide to rebuild, then it could be interesting to see what changes they make to what was the best outfield pretty much anywhere last year.  I could see Beni bringing a lot in trade, JBJ being of value to a small market club where he'd be a star hitting in the middle of the lineup.  Betts would have to bring a lot in value to make it worthwhile, but he would also free up some good salary dollars.

The real question though is what they have and can do with the pitching they have which is very limited.  I don't think anyone would shed a tear if the entire bullpen went away.  Who is worth keeping?  They're stuck with Sale, Price and Eovaldi (Price and Eovaldi through 2022 and Sale 2024) and can hope E-Rod has a repeat of this year.  They need a reliable starter because I don't know which of the guys they have signed long term are reliable anymore.

They're stuck with Sale, Price and Eovaldi

Exactly why they can`t afford to have Mookie around for 8 years at 30million per. It won`t be an all-out rebuild in 1 year.

longgame