Some Food for Thought

Started by markj, September 17, 2021, 10:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

From The Boston Globe. Maybe some insight into recent or upcoming moves.

QuoteThe stars and schedule have aligned to permit the Red Sox to lean heavily on Sale down the stretch. Thanks to three off days in the team’s final two and a half weeks, the Sox can have Sale start on regular (four days) or extra (five days) rest four times over their remaining schedule. After going nearly two full years without pitching, Sale is positioned to shoulder an enormous workload at a time that will shape his team’s fate.

And...

QuoteWith the team in its final stretch of a playoff push, manager Alex Cora announced Friday that it’s likely Tanner Houck will shift to the bullpen, serving in multiple roles.

“This guy can give us nine outs like he did in New York early in the season,” Cora noted before the Sox’ three-game set against the Orioles. “And he can come in and face a pocket of righties and do his thing on multiple days. So it’s good to have them.”

The Sox will go to a four-man rotation to end the year. With offdays following the conclusion of each of the Sox’ next three series â€" including this one with Baltimore â€" it gives the rotation a bit more of a breather before six straight games to end the season.

Houck, meanwhile, understands a postseason ticket is at stake and wants to help the team reach its ultimate goal however he can.

Sea Dog 23

The Sox do have a plan to get into the playoffs with pitching and roster moves up and down.  As the schedule plays out  the oddsmakers give Boston  an 81% chance of the wild card, NYY  60% and  Toronto 55%.  Thats more than likely all based on the remaining schedule.

If you look at the Sox' season in 10 game chunks, they did start off at a healthy .600 - .700 clip.  After the awful 3-7 stretch in August, they've settled down to what looks like a .500 clip.

7-3
5-5
6-4
6-4
6-4
7-3
5-5
7-3
6-4
6-4
3-7
5-5
5-5
5-5
5-4

longgame

The Sox have a lot going for them - the schedule, getting guys back who ended up getting a week or two of rest late in the season and are now getting back to form.  Also, the way the pitching has shaken out, they have Eovaldi, Sale, E-Rod and hopefully Pivetta with Houck, Richards, Whitlock, Sawamura and Ottavino behind them.  Hopefully Brasier and Barnes can be positive factors (but I'll never feel good with either of them on the mound).  The Sox' problem all year has not been talent, it's been execution.  On the offensive side, the biggest problem they have now is finding playing time for Schwarber because Dalbec is too good to take out. 

To use a terrible phrase, the control their own destiny.  If they win when they "should" they'll be fine.  For half the season they won all of those games.  Since then, not so much.  Do we get the full-strength, full performance Sox down the stretch?  Oh, and by the way, Tampa Bay has been stumbling, so hopefully they continue to do so for a few weeks.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 19, 2021, 11:41:49 AM
The Sox have a lot going for them - the schedule, getting guys back who ended up getting a week or two of rest late in the season and are now getting back to form.  Also, the way the pitching has shaken out, they have Eovaldi, Sale, E-Rod and hopefully Pivetta with Houck, Richards, Whitlock, Sawamura and Ottavino behind them.  Hopefully Brasier and Barnes can be positive factors (but I'll never feel good with either of them on the mound).  The Sox' problem all year has not been talent, it's been execution.  On the offensive side, the biggest problem they have now is finding playing time for Schwarber because Dalbec is too good to take out. 

To use a terrible phrase, the control their own destiny.  If they win when they "should" they'll be fine.  For half the season they won all of those games.  Since then, not so much.  Do we get the full-strength, full performance Sox down the stretch?  Oh, and by the way, Tampa Bay has been stumbling, so hopefully they continue to do so for a few weeks.

Ted and the rest of my friends, my take is that we did our job this weekend.  I was pretty certain we could take two of the three but sweeps seem to have eluded us too much to suit me.  But we got the sweep while the Yankees lost two of three to the Indians.  I don't know if we are starting to peak a little but if we are it might be at the right time to get our house in order.  Sawamura scared the hell out of me today but we prevailed because others picked up the slack---AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT GOOD TEAMS MUST DO, pick each  other up.  Let's keep this up.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on September 19, 2021, 04:15:29 PM
Quote from: longgame on September 19, 2021, 11:41:49 AM

Ted and the rest of my friends, my take is that we did our job this weekend.  I was pretty certain we could take two of the three but sweeps seem to have eluded us too much to suit me.  But we got the sweep while the Yankees lost two of three to the Indians.  I don't know if we are starting to peak a little but if we are it might be at the right time to get our house in order.  Sawamura scared the hell out of me today but we prevailed because others picked up the slack---AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT GOOD TEAMS MUST DO, pick each  other up.  Let's keep this up.

Let's hope they play like they did earlier in the year the rest of the way out. 

Sea Dog 23

Martinez was quoted as “halfway in his decision” on whether to opt-out this year.  He’s a DH, but Bloom could see this as a chance handed to him by JD to pencil in Schwarber, if he returns, or move Devers to the DH.  Also opens up $19mil in part to get a key player on the FA market.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.masslive.com/redsox/2021/09/will-boston-red-soxs-jd-martinez-opt-out-after-season-hes-right-in-the-middle-on-decision-right-now-report.html%3foutputType=amp

longgame

Two years ago I would have said no, but they need some fresh blood to build some energy into this team.  JDM does not bring energy and he just hasn't been as good.

SeaBeachFred

I loved you JD because you helped make us World Series Champions in 2018 but your time is up and we have to move on and get that $ 19 million towards some pitching and better defense.  Thanks you for your efforts and best wishes elsewhere.  We nee to retool.

longgame

Then of course he has a big night last night. 

Fred and I were talking a short time ago about how we can see Dalbec at 3B, Casas at 1B and Devers at DH. 

Sea Dog 23

JDM and agent I think want to secure his future with a long term deal, 3 years?  But he’s 35 already.  He’s making $19. I think Schwarby would sign one year at$15.  He is more versatile, but 30 points less BA. Raffy can split DH with Schwarb and both play the field.  I think Nelson Cruz is DH’ing for $12mil.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 30, 2021, 11:20:10 AM
Then of course he has a big night last night. 

Fred and I were talking a short time ago about how we can see Dalbec at 3B, Casas at 1B and Devers at DH.

I'm insisting Ted that this must happen.  Devers is a DH PERIOD!!!!!  There are some who believe he can become a solid third baseman but after four seasons he is no better than he was then.  We need his power bat and we will need a DH soon.  Dalbec can become a decent third baseman and Casas must NOT be blocked.

elktonnick

Devers will be the premier 3rd baseman in the American League in 22 and 23.  Dalbec is a much poorer fielder than Devers.  Schwarber is misplaced at 1st.  Casas won't be major league ready before 23.

longgame

Quote from: elktonnick on September 30, 2021, 04:17:31 PM
Devers will be the premier 3rd baseman in the American League in 22 and 23.  Dalbec is a much poorer fielder than Devers.  Schwarber is misplaced at 1st.  Casas won't be major league ready before 23.

Whatever you're smoking I want some!  rofl

elktonnick

I quit smoking on January 1 1985. rofl

markj

Whatever you're smoking I want some!  rofl

I've always thought the one thing Raffy will never have to worry about is finding shelf space for his Gold Glove trophies.   :o