ALCS GAME #5 THURSDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2018, BOSTON RED SOX AT HOUSTON ASTROS

Started by markj, October 18, 2018, 06:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longgame

I'm still on a high about this.  Does anyone think whoever wins the NL has a chance? 

The Sox won this series in Game 3 when Houston was forced to change it's lineup.  It was then I said Sox in 5 (I had thought it would take 6).  They blinked first and Cora pressed the advantage.  Also heard a few interesting things yesterday.  Apparently once Cora heard about them potentially looking at them in the dugout he started messing with Houston and sending out fake signs.  He had guys in the dugout reacting on pitches that Houston was throwing so they'd think that they compromised their signs.  Real interesting gamesmanship.  Contrast that with Cora who made one postseason adjustment only - he used his starters as relievers in key spots.  Think about it, if Cora had blinked for instance and put Brasier out there to close and Brasier blows it - they are toast.  Some people are now talking about how to move around players for the World Series games in the NL park.  Clearly it means Martinez as an outfield starter and JBJ hits, just like Holt sat the day after he hit for the cycle.

The Sox are now 7-2 in their lat 9 games against two teams who won over 100 games. 

Bill-806

Quote from: longgame on October 20, 2018, 11:03:59 AM
I'm still on a high about this.  Does anyone think whoever wins the NL has a chance? 

The Sox won this series in Game 3 when Houston was forced to change it's lineup.  It was then I said Sox in 5 (I had thought it would take 6).  They blinked first and Cora pressed the advantage.  Also heard a few interesting things yesterday.  Apparently once Cora heard about them potentially looking at them in the dugout he started messing with Houston and sending out fake signs.  He had guys in the dugout reacting on pitches that Houston was throwing so they'd think that they compromised their signs.  Real interesting gamesmanship.  Contrast that with Cora who made one postseason adjustment only - he used his starters as relievers in key spots.  Think about it, if Cora had blinked for instance and put Brasier out there to close and Brasier blows it - they are toast.  Some people are now talking about how to move around players for the World Series games in the NL park.  Clearly it means Martinez as an outfield starter and JBJ hits, just like Holt sat the day after he hit for the cycle.

The Sox are now 7-2 in their lat 9 games against two teams who won over 100 games.
B I N G O !!!  I want to play against the L A DODGERS as Machado is turning in to a real BAD BOY !!! thumb_u iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Sea Dog 23

Saw on the creeper today Cora thinking about Betts 2B and JD in RF going to the NL park.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on October 20, 2018, 06:52:10 PM
Saw on the creeper today Cora thinking about Betts 2B and JD in RF going to the NL park.

That would be go get more offense in the lineup.  I get that.  Do I like it?  Mixed feelings Sea Dog.  Yes, it would help put more offense in the lineup but it could hurt us defensively in the outfield and, face it, we would be taking our best player and best right fielder in the game and moving him to a spot he hasn't played in quite some time.  Again, very mixed feelings about that.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on October 20, 2018, 10:48:10 PM

That would be go get more offense in the lineup.  I get that.  Do I like it?  Mixed feelings Sea Dog.  Yes, it would help put more offense in the lineup but it could hurt us defensively in the outfield and, face it, we would be taking our best player and best right fielder in the game and moving him to a spot he hasn't played in quite some time.  Again, very mixed feelings about that.

I happen to agree with you!

Sea Dog 23

So the opponents work out to be LA.  Machado and the Bums, but I repeat myself.   

longgame

Given my comments about the Astros losing when they changed what they always did to win 100 games by shuffling the lineup, the Sox should also avoid overreacting because they have to play as many as 3 games in an NL park.  The Sox were 16-4 against NL teams and a good number of those, like the three game sweep against division winner Atlanta, were in NL parks.  Sox got where they did by staying consistent.  Cora has a "formula" of sorts as to how his team plays well and 7-2 in the last 9 would confirm that it works, don't mess with it now.  He sat Holt after hitting for the cycle, why not sit JBJ or Beni for a game to get Martinez in the lineup?

Speaking of how they did in that Atlanta series, Atlanta finished 162 games with one fewer win than LA.  Put another way, Tampa Bay, who played over a quarter of its games against teams that won 100 games, finished a game behind the Dodgers in overall record.  The Dodgers played a few games against Houston in the regular season.  So the Dodgers, playing a much easier schedule than the Red Sox, finished 17 games behind them in the standings, i.e. would have been eliminated shortly after Labor Day.

No way I'd ever predict a team to sweep, but I can't see this going more than 5. 

orwell

Isn't the real answer: Betts to CF, Martinez to RF, and Holt or Kinsler to second?

Bill-806

Quote from: orwell on October 21, 2018, 12:31:16 PM

Isn't the real answer: Betts to CF, Martinez to RF, and Holt or Kinsler to second?
BUTTTTTT,  J B J is playing some outstanding baseball & his BAT shows the sign of the JIM RICE conversations...… ???? iono iono iono

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on October 21, 2018, 12:03:35 PM
Given my comments about the Astros losing when they changed what they always did to win 100 games by shuffling the lineup, the Sox should also avoid overreacting because they have to play as many as 3 games in an NL park.  The Sox were 16-4 against NL teams and a good number of those, like the three game sweep against division winner Atlanta, were in NL parks.  Sox got where they did by staying consistent.  Cora has a "formula" of sorts as to how his team plays well and 7-2 in the last 9 would confirm that it works, don't mess with it now.  He sat Holt after hitting for the cycle, why not sit JBJ or Beni for a game to get Martinez in the lineup?

Speaking of how they did in that Atlanta series, Atlanta finished 162 games with one fewer win than LA.  Put another way, Tampa Bay, who played over a quarter of its games against teams that won 100 games, finished a game behind the Dodgers in overall record.  The Dodgers played a few games against Houston in the regular season.  So the Dodgers, playing a much easier schedule than the Red Sox, finished 17 games behind them in the standings, i.e. would have been eliminated shortly after Labor Day.

No way I'd ever predict a team to sweep, but I can't see this going more than 5.

In a way I wish you were right on your prediction and then, OTOH, I wouldn't get my ultimate wish if that happened.  You see Ted I'm flying out from California tomorrow night on the Red Eye for what I hope is a very enjoyable stay in Boston and have tickets for all four Fenway games...….if the series goes that far.  I have always wanted to see my Red Sox win  the World Series in our ballpark and couldn't afford a return trip there in 2013.  If it goes five I will not get that wish but I can accept that and be pleased anyway....very pleased.   Then I can see the parade, which I have never seen the previous three title runs.  But no matter how you slice it I want the Red Sox to win the World Series in the worst way.  That's all that matters to me at the end of the day.

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on October 21, 2018, 08:18:16 PM

In a way I wish you were right on your prediction and then, OTOH, I wouldn't get my ultimate wish if that happened.  You see Ted I'm flying out from California tomorrow night on the Red Eye for what I hope is a very enjoyable stay in Boston and have tickets for all four Fenway games...….if the series goes that far.  I have always wanted to see my Red Sox win  the World Series in our ballpark and couldn't afford a return trip there in 2013.  If it goes five I will not get that wish but I can accept that and be pleased anyway....very pleased.   Then I can see the parade, which I have never seen the previous three title runs.  But no matter how you slice it I want the Red Sox to win the World Series in the worst way.  That's all that matters to me at the end of the day.

I feel for you Fred, but my mental health can't take seven games! 

Funny tidbit I saw today - the Dodgers have won only one game ever in Fenway, when Cora drove in a run for the Dodgers in a rout of the Sox.

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on October 22, 2018, 08:15:40 AM
Quote from: SeaBeachFred on October 21, 2018, 08:18:16 PM

I feel for you Fred, but my mental health can't take seven games! 

Funny tidbit I saw today - the Dodgers have won only one game ever in Fenway, when Cora drove in a run for the Dodgers in a rout of the Sox.

2004---second game of a three game series won by the Red Sox 2-1.

Bear

THE ODDS FOR GAME #1

DATE
October 23, 2018
8:09 PM EST
TEAMS
LA Dodgers
Boston
Total
OPEN
+112...DODGERS
-136....RED SOX
7.5 o -110
u -110
5DIMES.EU
+137....DODGERS
-142.....RED SOX
7.5 o +107
u -117
BOVADA.LV
+130....DODGERS
-150.....RED SOX
7.5 o +100
u -12

I TAKE IT WE HAVE A GOOD CHANCE...EH, BETTER THAN WITH THE HOUSTON ASTROS.

Bill-806

Quote from: Bear on October 22, 2018, 05:29:22 PM
THE ODDS FOR GAME #1

DATE
October 23, 2018
8:09 PM EST
TEAMS
LA Dodgers
Boston
Total
OPEN
+112...DODGERS
-136....RED SOX
7.5 o -110
u -110
5DIMES.EU
+137....DODGERS
-142.....RED SOX
7.5 o +107
u -117
BOVADA.LV
+130....DODGERS
-150.....RED SOX
7.5 o +100
u -12

I TAKE IT WE HAVE A GOOD CHANCE...EH, BETTER THAN WITH THE HOUSTON ASTROS.
KEEP your EYE on the WEATHER...….  Mother Nature will let us know !! iono iono iono iono