GAME #44, FRIDAY, MAY 17, 2019, ASTROS @ BOSTON RED SOX

Started by Schloicka, May 17, 2019, 09:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Chavis is starting on another slump with an 0-4 night. Vazquez, on the other hand, is 3-4.

markj

Lousy loss. 1-11 with RISP. ONE for ELEVEN How sad is that? 10 lobsters. Porcello deserved better.

elktonnick

Lack of situational hitting killed the sox tonight.  Eck echoed my view that too many long swings on two strikes are killing the Red Sox.  Chavis was particularly prone to that tonight.  Vazquez kept his swing short with solid results.

SeaBeachFred

I don't know what I can add to this thread since markj pretty much summed it up very succinctly.  We hit crappy with RISP---what was it, one for eleven?  That is terrible and will someone tell me when the last time Nunez got a clutch hit?  First game of last year's World Series.  Not to single him out but when he doesn't hit he is useless to the team because he can't field.  Elk added how it looked to him like they were swinging from their asses all night.   Too bad Mookie could't get his shot elevated in the ninth inning.  He handled the pitch very well.  Porcello pit ched very well for the most part but one run in never going to get it done.  Is it possible the team is taking a page out of Sale's book and starving even Porcelo for runs now?  Bad day at black rock.

Bill-806

With a HEAVY HEART, I awoke this morning to ANOTHER DEFEAT !!!  Not good !!!  Time for CHANGES ??  NOW GRASSHOPPER  !!!!!!! thumb_d iono iono iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Sea Dog 23

The Sox seem to be in a rut.  Lots of goose eggs from the offense this week.  15 no show innings against the Rockies, 8 more last night. 

Reading some of the posts above about the Sox hitting form, could a batting coach help them out of the mess?  Could be they're becoming more like NBA players, where they don't listen to coachez and do their own thing.  geez I hope not.  Those fans call it Hero Ball.  Did I read that JBJ hired his own batting coach?   sigh

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: Sea Dog 23 on May 18, 2019, 08:35:18 AM
The Sox seem to be in a rut.  Lots of goose eggs from the offense this week.  15 no show innings against the Rockies, 8 more last night. 

Reading some of the posts above about the Sox hitting form, could a batting coach help them out of the mess?  Could be they're becoming more like NBA players, where they don't listen to coachez and do their own thing.  geez I hope not.  Those fans call it Hero Ball.  Did I read that JBJ hired his own batting coach?   sigh

If Jack Brad did hire his own hitting coach it is about four years too late, but knock yourself out Brad.  It can't get much worse for you.  Maybe you can get Nunez to hire him too.  Yes Sea Dog, we're in a rut and it might get worse before it gets better......like in 2020 or 2021 when they will be ex-champs and Cora won't be tempted to pull another stupid ST move as he did this season.  Analytics has downplayed RBI's as an important statistic and if anyone on this board agrees with that should have their heads examined.  The fact that so many of our players have trouble driving in runs speaks volumes to our troubles.  Yes, in my opinion, there are players who seem to have the ability to drive in runners and those who simply cannot on a consistent basis.

elktonnick

Bradley has periodically gone on hot streaks and shortens his swing hitting the ball the other way.  But after a bit he thinks himself Willie Mays and goes back to the long swing and lifts his head and eyes off the ball as he tries to pull the pitch to drive the ball 500 feet for a six run homer.  So Sea Dog is right too many Sox hitters are trying for hero ball.

Nunez the other night refused to accept a walk even though Boston needed base runners.  Last night was no different.  He always goes up hacking even Remy and Eckersley said as much.