ALCS GAME #1 SATURDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2018, HOUSTON ASTROS AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by longgame, October 13, 2018, 12:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

Price will suck again tomorrow and the BP, which was sapped tonight, will not be able to fill the gap.

Pitching aside, the Sox offense did nothing tonight. That's 50% of the problem here.

BoSoxFanNY

Well that was a crappy game and loss.
Umpire was calling balls on Sale that were strikes
and called strikes on balls for the Astros.
NUNEZ had a few bad plays at third.

Sox lose 7 - 2.

BoSoxFanNY

Quote from: elktonnick on October 13, 2018, 10:01:15 PM
One could argue that Nunez failure to make two plays has been the difference thus far.

I would agree UNTIL the 9th inning.
Nunez AND umpires helped the Astros in the first 6 innings of the game.

BoSoxFanNY

AND I agree that the TBS announcers seemed pro-Astros.
I usually like Ron Darling (especially when he is in the booth for the Mets)
BUT he has been anti-Red Sox in the postseason.  He seemed more complimentary
to the Yankees in the ALDS and sounded more complimentary to the Astros tonight -
from the beginning of the broadcast.

NOT right.

SeaBeachFred

Wow, have we ever looked worse than we did tonight?  I don't know where to begin but I do know that Jerkman has no business being in the game or on the team and I have said repeatedly all damn season.  He hasn't been worth a damn since 2013 and even his injury and operation did not help him be anything more than a total stiff on the mound.  Earth to Cora, don't use that butt ever again--not in this series and out of town this winter.  Nunez?  My God, he looked like Devers tonight, really pathetic.  Our offense was non-existent with only three hits and we couldn't drive in a run.  We walked ten batters, hit three more and, well what the hell, can we win a game playing like that?  Tomorrow we send Price out there and he needs to made amends for that disastrous showing a week ago and he has that jinx in that he has never won a post-season game (0-9 anybody)  Yet we need him tomorrow.

Let me end this ordeal by saying we need to shit can this game and hope we come out blazing tomorrow because as sure as God made little green apples, if we lost Sunday evening this series is already over.

Bear

AAAAA WELL, let me think for a moment.  The Umps were terrible, both teams looked terrible---especially the Red Sox.
Price, depends which one comes in.  I did not enjoy TBS.  It was crappy all around.
If tomorrow the game appears to be crappy from the beginning, I'll watch the Patriots...and they too could lose.
They were fun to watch all season, suddenly they don't do anything right.
Better change that lineup.  More bad news, Nunez is in the lineup for Sunday.

Bill-806

Get NUNEZ out of there, NOW GRASSHOPPER !!  He is killing us with his bad KNEE...….  Also, as DAD would say "SON, you won't win many games on 3 HITS" !! thumb_d thumb_d iono iono iono

Bill-806

"LIKE SAND THRU THE HOUR GLASS, SO ARE THE GAMES OF THIS SERIES!!!" thumb_d thumb_d iono iono iono rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

elktonnick

Cora better get this team to realize what the Astros are doing; killing them with sliders. curveballs and changeups.  They must start going the other way. 

The Sox are particularly vulnerable to off speed pitches.  That being said except for Workman it was defense that killed Boston last night.  Holt needs to be at third with Kinsler playing second.  However, unless Price performs it won't matter. 
After last night, this is a must win game.

longgame

I'm trying to be a glass half full guy this morning.  First of all, they played like this in Game 2 of the DS and then came back like gangbusters the next day.  Second, Sale pitched okay and was let down by the defense, not to mention a ridiculous strike zone where Sox could throw it over the middle of the plate and have it called a ball but pitches six inches off the plate routinely called strikes for Verlander.  Third, other than the Brandon "AAA Forever" Workman, the pen held up okay given the situation.  Fourth, up until Workman came in the Astros weren't getting it done exactly either, they just didn't screw up.  Plus we had a highlight of Joe West getting drilled!  Too bad it didn't hit him on the head.  Between him (who was fine last night), Hernandez and the guy behind the plate last night, they could form a fine umpiring team for a seniors beer softball league - if the can pass a vision test.

Now for the downside - Mookie Betts needs to stop looking like he's sorry for sucking so far and stop sucking more.  He and many other Sox hitters need to stop being so anxious, Verlander was the only guy able to throw a fastball for a strike on either team but he was hanging curveballs in the heart of the strike zone all night.  The Sox looked like they had never seen breaking pitches all night so the Astros kept feeding them and they didn't adjust.  Some of that may be on Cora, there was a shot of Roenicke looking completely flummoxed when Workman giving up the first HR.  As a team I though they were completely unprepared for the game.

Another righty going for Houston tonight so I'd like to see Devers in there and hopefully Moreland too.  It doesn't help when you don't play your lefties against righties.  Second, I can't stand to see Leon ever again, lefty or not.  I'm sick and tired of the praise for his defense. As I've said, he continually calls pitches his guys aren't making and then gets them behind in counts or end up throwing bad pitches.  Combine that with the utter lack of offense, he just does not belong on the field.  If Sale can't pitch as "well" as he did last night to Vazquez or Swihart then there's a problem there that has nothing to do with the catcher.  Finally, they have to do something to get Betts, Beni and Martinez unhooked.  They looked completely lost and there's no reason for that in the second round of the playoffs.

Absolutely must win for the Sox tonight behind Price.

SeaBeachFred

Nunez is hurt; can't anyone on the coaching staff see that?  He hurt himself on that last play Tuesday night at Yankee Stadium and it is hurting his lateral movement, not to mention his ability to use his legs in the batter's box.  It seems to be Cora has a love affair with that guy.  He needs to take a few days off...….Holt on third and Kinsler on second.  And, yes, no Leon.  Good God, we didn't hit at all last night and to put a zero back in the starting lineup reeks of incompetence and mental turpitude.  Jerkman?????  Hide him or kidnap him but get him far away from that pitcher's mound, and the hitters have to stop trying to hit through a shift and go with the pitch.  All last night Benintendi kept looking to pull while pitches belt high on the outside he let go by.  As for Bradley it gets very tiresome watching him try to jack the ball out.  You are NOT Willie Mays young man.  You are a gap hitter at best. Stop trying to be something you're not and never will be.  As for our big guns JD and Mookie start acting like possible MVP's and superstars you are and grab ahold of the offense and lead us  to victory tonight.  We need one badly.

Bill-806

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on October 14, 2018, 02:49:16 PM
Nunez is hurt; can't anyone on the coaching staff see that?  He hurt himself on that last play Tuesday night at Yankee Stadium and it is hurting his lateral movement, not to mention his ability to use his legs in the batter's box.  It seems to be Cora has a love affair with that guy.  He needs to take a few days off...….Holt on third and Kinsler on second.  And, yes, no Leon.  Good God, we didn't hit at all last night and to put a zero back in the starting lineup reeks of incompetence and mental turpitude.  Jerkman?????  Hide him or kidnap him but get him far away from that pitcher's mound, and the hitters have to stop trying to hit through a shift and go with the pitch.  All last night Benintendi kept looking to pull while pitches belt high on the outside he let go by.  As for Bradley it gets very tiresome watching him try to jack the ball out.  You are NOT Willie Mays young man.  You are a gap hitter at best. Stop trying to be something you're not and never will be.  As for our big guns JD and Mookie start acting like possible MVP's and superstars you are and grab ahold of the offense and lead us  to victory tonight.  We need one badly.
SATURDAY nights game...… No NUNEZ, LEON, HOLT...…..  Devers at 3rd, Vazquez, & Kinsler………. iono iono iono iono

longgame

Quote from: SeaBeachFred on October 14, 2018, 02:49:16 PM

After the last couple of years these guys should be accustomed to playing in big games and with the data they have these days they should be able to pretty much know what the pitcher is coming with before the pitcher does.  Yet Mookie looks like he's never seen a breaking ball and Beni drives me crazy with the bad pitches he chases.  Martinez at the same time has decided that he's going to slow down his hands and pretty much miss everything.  Both Betts and Martinez look like completely different hitters out there.

Plus for god's sake if they're going to throw you outside and play you to shift, open up and go the other way from the start of the at bat, especially weaker hitters.  Get their defenders moving around and balls get through.