GAME #1, PIRATES @ RED SOX

Started by Bear, April 02, 2017, 04:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ipot

Quote from: Pumpsie Green on April 03, 2017, 06:41:53 PM
Quote from: elktonnick on April 03, 2017, 06:39:22 PM
Great win.  For those of us who worry about the Sox bullpen, Barnes did nothing to quiet those concerns.

Neither did Kimbrel.

Amen.  Was a fine game until Meatball turned into a save situation and Kimbrel picked up where he left off with the drama.  They should be selling rubber finger tips at Fenway games every time this guy pitches or we'll all lose more than fingernails.
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

SeaBeachFred

First the good news......WE WON!!!!!...and that has to trump everything else.  We hit into dp's, Panda looks like he has put half the pounds he lost back on and that meatball Barnes is still shit on rye when we need him to stand up and get the damn job done.  However, Leon played an All Star type game, Andrew hit that three run bomb and for six innings Porcello looked like a co-ace that he going to have to be in the early going.  Our bullpen has to toughen up but at least they got through the seventh to ninth inning without giving the game away.  We have a long way to go but Dombrowski has to be aware that we may need some bullpen help and maybe sooner than he thinks.

longgame

Lots of good things in yesterday's game.  As I've said before, this pen has me worried.  By the way, why would Kimbrel ever throw more than one or two offspeed pitches in an at bat?  Throw the heater and let guys catch up with it, maybe throw in the slider or change or whatever that slow pitch he misses with every single freaking time is to change their bat speed, but nobody is ever going to swing at anything but a fastball and Kimbrel can't throw the offspeed stuff for strikes.   

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on April 04, 2017, 08:07:54 AM
Lots of good things in yesterday's game.  As I've said before, this pen has me worried.  By the way, why would Kimbrel ever throw more than one or two offspeed pitches in an at bat?  Throw the heater and let guys catch up with it, maybe throw in the slider or change or whatever that slow pitch he misses with every single freaking time is to change their bat speed, but nobody is ever going to swing at anything but a fastball and Kimbrel can't throw the offspeed stuff for strikes.   

You would think by now he could throw a breaking pitch somewhere at the edge of the strike zone Ted where batters might fish for it, but since he can't heave ho with the hard stuff and move the ball up and down and in and out.   That should be good for one inning or four or five outs where necessary until he can locate a breaking ball.  What the hell are our pitching coaches teaching these guys anyway?  Go with your strength.

Pumpsie Green

Quote from: longgame on April 04, 2017, 08:07:54 AM

Thats the problem he had all last year: he could not throw his offspeed stuff for strikes consistently. On the days he could do that, he was essentially unhittable. But those days were few and far between, and if yesterday's game is a preview of what is going to happen this year its going to be a long long year.

elktonnick

When Kimbrel goes bad he seems to over rotate and yank his pitches toward the first base side.

longgame