GAME #159, WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 26, 2018, BALTIMORE ORIOLES AT BOSTON RED SOX

Started by longgame, September 26, 2018, 03:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markj

What a pathetic effort all around. Let's hope they step it up against the Yankees.

BoSoxFanNY

10 - 3 Orioles over the Sox.
Sad
(KNOW this game means nothing, but the Orioles?)

BoSoxFanNY

CRAP - the Yankees are coming back.
NOW 8 - 7

SORRY I posted that the Rays were winning . . .

BoSoxFanNY

At least the Yankees lost 8 - 7.

AND truly disappointed with our Sox tonight
AFTER being so delighted with the Sox victory this afternoon.

ipot

We split the doubleheader, but I'm more than a but peeved.  I didn't expect offensive fireworks in the night game, but the starting pitching situation in BOTH games has me concerned.  We can say Price had 1 bad inning and bounced back.  That's NOT cutting the mustard in the postseason.  1 bad inning and poof there goes the game.  Same with Sale: not the sharpest pitching line either = 4.2 inns and 3 ERs.  Not playoff good.  These are the O's for crying out loud. 

As for the pen, Meatball has been pretty reliable all season so I'll give him a pass.  Now, Kimbrel? When he's bad he's throwing a lot of balls.  And 3 flippin' walks! I'll even let that slide since it wasn't a save situation.....
"Baseball is simple. All you do is sit on your butt, spit tobacco and nod at the stupid things your manager says."
--Bill 'Spaceman' Lee

Bear

We now have wounded starting pitchers...great.
Maybe Price and Sale need to pitch every five days???
Terrible game.

Bill-806

As DAD would say,  "SON, ya can't win them all" !!!!  ICE CREAM for ALL !!! iono iono rofl rofl rofl

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 26, 2018, 06:32:37 PM
Quote from: Schloicka on September 26, 2018, 06:29:35 PM
Sale a little off to start. Let's see if he can pick up the pace as the game goes on.

Just shaky enough that they’re lining up at the Boston area bridges!  All we needed for Sox Nation’s wariness was shaky Sale in his last regular season start!

They must let him pitch again this Sunday for three or so innings.  He needs work and get his fast ball and slider up to par.  We cannot afford another dipsy do from Chris in the past season this year.  The Yankees are demolishing the Rays in their series and will come primed to give it to us this weekend and soar their confidence that in the ALDS they will take care of us.  We must not let that happen and must prepare for a tough series with the Yankees in the ALDS and we can prepare to do that by giving them the business this weekend.  This coming series is of great psychological importance and Cora must NOT be experimenting in it.  He should know by now who should be on the roster and who shouldn't be.

longgame

While it makes sense to be concerned about our pitching, let's take a deep breath and say 1-0-7.  Remember, this thing is salted away and for now doing things like finding out if Barnes can come out two days in a row or not is pretty important.  The bigger problem is that it doesn't seem to matter who Cora throws out their to test, they fail.  As for Devers, I think he's going to sit a lot if Nunez is healthy.  I think the kid needs glasses.  If Swihart is playing it's going to be as a pinch hitter or the game will already be over.  He's the guy off the bench.  On the offense I'm more worried about the Moreland, JBJ and Kinsler and have written off any hope of offense out of the catcher spot at this point - Sox really need to address that next year. 

SeaBeachFred

Quote from: longgame on September 27, 2018, 06:41:22 PM
While it makes sense to be concerned about our pitching, let's take a deep breath and say 1-0-7.  Remember, this thing is salted away and for now doing things like finding out if Barnes can come out two days in a row or not is pretty important.  The bigger problem is that it doesn't seem to matter who Cora throws out their to test, they fail.  As for Devers, I think he's going to sit a lot if Nunez is healthy.  I think the kid needs glasses.  If Swihart is playing it's going to be as a pinch hitter or the game will already be over.  He's the guy off the bench.  On the offense I'm more worried about the Moreland, JBJ and Kinsler and have written off any hope of offense out of the catcher spot at this point - Sox really need to address that next year.

No Ted, they need to address their pathetic offensive catching situation now.  We cannot afford to give the other team four outs a game since we know our team is capable of having a two or three game drought.  Leon stinks at the plate and Vazquez isn't much better, and while Leon does handle the pitching staff well he cannot be a help unless the team hits behind him.  Vaz also is weak offensively but I have also noticed that he also calls a pretty shitty game behind the plate as well...….perhaps he isn't too smart but I am confounded by his pitch calling.  Again and again and again, I come back to Blake Swihart.  He is not that bad a catcher and he can hit if he is kept in the lineup instead of being jerked around by Cora.  With Sale maybe not at 100% full strength (hope I'm wrong about that), Porcello's penchant for giving up too many hits and sometimes too many runs, E-Rod's in an out performances and bullpen arsonists like the Meatball, Ross, Pomeranz, and Kelly, WE NEED THE BEST NINE BATS W E CAN GET IN THE LINEUP AND THAT MEANS NO VAZQUEZ (210) OR LEON (179).  We will have to hit and hit well if we want to advance beyond the ALDS----for a freakin' change.